some takes on this please.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

some takes on this please.

in need of some advice asap.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all, it's been a while since i have been on here. my husband that i have been with for 8 years, has had about a 5 year battle with pain pill addiction.

it has not been easy, he has was on suboxone, after his overdose, and i must say the 5 months he was on that, things were AMAZING, it was like i had the person i knew back. until he abusing them, then it was back to the pain pills.

a few months later he went into rehab, things were back to being good he did the whole IOP program 4 days a week, and went to AA meetings o the days he didn't have IOP. he stayed sober 2 months after that and relapsed on Bath Salts. OMG that was awful, it was a whole other side of him i had never seen. and hope to not ever see again.

he got off that because places stopped selling it in Ohio, or so they say. but it was right back to the pain pills for him. and it got really out of control once again. him leaving our son and i up to 4 times a week not coming home. him saying he was going to the store and not coming back, just everthing that comes along with it. not fun!

well back to rehab he went, he said he needed help he wanted help. so he went back to the same rehab center he went to before. he stayed longer this time, he was there a month. and let me tell you, it was great, he was doing so so so good. i was seeing "my husband" i went to every family group and worked on myself things were going really good, UNTIL he got out.

i had to work the day he came home, so our son and i made him a welcome home poster and had welcome home balloons in the kitchen so he seen it as soon as he walked in. well about his 2nd day home he started getting very cocky, and he started treating me as if he was like a sponsor and stopped treatin me like a wife. from that point on things just kept going down hill.

well here we are 3 months post rehab and guess what??? you got it he relapsed about a month ago! i seen all the signs leading up to it. he dropped out of his IOP very fast, didn't work with his sponsor on his steps or anything after getting out of rehab, didn't go to NA meetings he just stuck to AA. so it was going to happen and I tried telling him, he didn't buy it. he said i was just looking for a reason to "bitch' at him or try to "run' his recovery.

he is very. very. very. cocky and rude, his attitude is awful, same addict i have seen for years now. but heres the thing, he did relapse on pills, but now he says he just smokes weed...i myself am not ok with that. then again he said this before, that he rather smoke weed. then went right back to pills.

i asked him 'why do you smoke weed?" the fist thing he said was "to get a buzz on" then it went to "it keeps me calm" then it went to "i haven't done any pills since i started smoking" umm, if he wasn't getting high on that i am pretty sure he would be getting high on pills.

his sponsor gave up on him, pretty sad it came to that. but i don't blame him, he is a really good guy that really wanted to help my husband. my husband has stopped going to meetings all together. he says he isn't beng the addict but yet he lies, and everything i am seeing is what the addict does.

so what i was wondering is, can he get off pills by smoking weed, does this really work? to me he is just setting himself up. i don't think you can take away one drug and add another. you're still getting high.

sorry so long, thanks.
Andee.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I am so sorry you are going through all this and I hope you find a more peaceful place for yourself soon.

Replacing one drug with another doesn't work. Many alcoholics thing they can smoke pot, and find out that leads them back to alcohol. Many addicts think they can have a beer and find out that leads them back to their drug of choice. His sponsor knows it is impossible to sponsor someone who won't give up the substance.

Until this man is willing to give it "all" up, I'm afraid what you are dealing with is an active addict. Sadly, that has been the case for many of us. We hope they will find a better path, we may even see it for a while, but many of us finally had to decide that we just could not go down with them.

I'm glad you came here to reach out and really hope you find some good support for yourself because it's a rough ride trying to outwait an active addict.

Hugs
Old 07-09-2012, 07:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

He's not remotely done yet.

Alcohol and weed are the gateways back into the hard stuff.

Have you considered getting some counseling to learn how to set and enforce boundaries to protect yourself and child?
Old 07-09-2012, 08:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I read in a drug memoir that addicts are always in either one of two states, all the time:

HIGH or CRAVING.

All the time. One or the other. Never between.

He is in active addiction and he is at this moment either HIGH or CRAVING.

We are glad you are here and hope we can support you as you seek sanity and security.