Notices

Embarrassed...

Old 07-08-2012, 07:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Embarrassed...

I definitely have a problem with alcohol. I tend to get too drunk and make too many phone calls. Well I did that the other day and now I can't stop beating myself up over it. It's getting pretty bad and I'm beginning to get worried....

Just wondering if anyone else had this problem and if so how did you get over it?
Old 07-08-2012, 07:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I stopped drinking. :-)
Old 07-08-2012, 07:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yup quitting drinking cleared up that problem.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome EH! I did stupid and dangerous things when I drank. Things that caused me embarassment and regret. That's why I had to stop. When I had it in my system, there was no telling what would happen.

Glad to see you're considering making a big change in your life. You don't have to continue down that road. We're here to help.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I can't tell you how many embarassing thinks i've done. I once called both my sports coaches, blacked out, explaining how crappy this other team was. years later i have done many more horrifying things. One thing i learned is that people are very forgiing, if you feel like you offemded someone, just apologize. If you think you habe an uncontrollable drinking problem, stopping is the best answer.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good go
Old 07-08-2012, 07:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Goodness. I do this from my phone, sorry for the errors.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes I would do the same thing... embarrassed myself on the phone until people stopped picking up when I called at night! I've apologized to many of these people for doing that since I quit drinking and now they actually answer my calls again!
Old 07-08-2012, 07:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EH21 View Post
I definitely have a problem with alcohol. I tend to get too drunk and make too many phone calls. Well I did that the other day and now I can't stop beating myself up over it. It's getting pretty bad and I'm beginning to get worried....

Just wondering if anyone else had this problem and if so how did you get over it?
I bet there's more to the story than that.......

Quit drinking and your problem will go away.

If you can't quit, come to AA.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 07-08-2012, 07:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well you've come to the right place—no one has to be embarrassed here, because it's all been seen (and usually done) before.

Welcome to SR, EH21.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Whatever causes problems IS a problem.

Get rid of it.

You're in the right place for support to do just that!

Welcome! :ghug3
Old 07-08-2012, 08:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Oh yea I had that problem and phone calls were the least of this alcoholics worries.

Got rid of it , by a daily reprieve in sobriety. You can too.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Oh yeah, drinking and dialing. I have made some absolutely ridiculous, embarrassing phone calls when drunk - I hated checking my phone the next morning to see who my latest victims were. I don't miss that one bit. I won't even get started on Facebook hazards.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yes, the drunk dialing, drunk texting, drunk emailing, drunken wandering around the neighborhood. Yes, the cringe when I picked up the phone to check who I called, checking emails sent, the regret, humiliation and self loathing....NO MORE! I perform careless acts less frequently now - sobriety helps that a lot...I highly recommend it!
Glad you're here!!
Old 07-08-2012, 08:38 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR EH21

I didn't have the phone call problem tho I used to post on USENET and the like drunk.

Like others here the only real solution for me was to look at my drinking problem and face facts...

I stopped drinking and so did the embarrassments...and all the other stuff too - the injuries, the fights, the sickness, the public self humiliations...
Old 07-08-2012, 08:47 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Facebook...omg. Me too. I once left a comment out of drunken anger, that was race related, and people deleted me. I am not a racist, i was being treated badly and i forever regret the things i said. They do not represent the kind of person i am. One thing though, is that you will accept that you.did these things, you will forgive yourself, and other people will forgive you too. They will become a fact in your past and you will feel less emotion about it. If emotion comes up for me i try to meditate on it to settle the anxiety.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:48 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome EH!

I actually had the opposite problem - I avoided talking to people (used to hate it when I was drinking and the phone rang).

It takes courage to admit we might have a problem with alcohol. I think you'll find, though, that there's a lot of us out here and none of us are bad or weak - we just happen to be wired with an inability to stop drinking once we start.

Keep reading and posting!
Old 07-08-2012, 08:55 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EH21 View Post

I used to do this for years.

The only thing that helped was having a good AA sponsor that taught me that I was wearing people out.

If I make the phone calls when I drink, then the answer is to stop drinking.

But how do I stop drinking?

Ah...

now that's the real question.

The only thing that has helped me do better than I ever have in my life with regard to drinking has been SR, AA, people in recovery that have helped me, prayers to God, and learning about alcoholism.

I have not recovered yet.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:55 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yep! Drunk phone calls, texts, and emails became a problem for me. In the end I started hiding my phone so I couldn't call or email anyone. I never knew what I was going to find in the morning when I woke up. The texts and emails especially got angry in the end. Once I emailed my boss a threatening and incoherent email. Sooo embarrassing and almost got fired over it. Glad I don't have to worry about that anymore now that I've quit drinking. Thanks for the reminder
Old 07-08-2012, 10:54 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi and Welcome EH 21,

Your post reminded me of how I would call people only when I was drinking I actually didn't enjoy talking to people when I was sober.

I liked the phone it meant I could drink at my own pace (fast) and have some control over the situation.

I am actually more solitary now but my communications with people are more meaningful and I remember them.

I doubt that your question is how do I stop making phone calls when I am drunk as Grandfather of 2 indicated.

The problem is the booze.

All the best CaiHong