Notices

Withdrawal symptoms day two

Old 07-08-2012, 06:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Withdrawal symptoms day two

I feel like I went through a traumatic experience and i'
m really weepy. How long does this last?
Old 07-08-2012, 06:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Are you under any sort of medical supervision?
Old 07-08-2012, 06:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Detoxing from alcohol is not predictable and it's always a good idea to talk to your dr because it can be dangerous.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If it matters, I am a person who never cries and I just spontaneously broke into tears probably 15-20 times on the first few days. It was weird, I admit. I don't know what it was and why it happened. Even a stupid show on tv with a remotely emotional undertone would cause it. It did go away after the first few days. But the weird crying + hellish withdrawal symptoms made the first few days pretty horrible. I wish I went to a doctor for meds, looking back in hindsight.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

So why not go to a doctor now? Withdrawls can last for several days. It can be quite dangerous.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies. I haven't visited the doctor, but i read that the DTs occur within 24 jrs. I habe also consumed enough ice cream to kill a horse. As i understand it, sugar breaks down into alcohol in the body, so i'm going to make sure i get a sweet treat daily to help. The first day, after i woke up still drunk, my hands and tongue were numb. I figure i'd have had a stroke by now. God, this addiction is awful.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was so embarrassed about my addiction that I did not seek medical help in my detox. I agree with mwstylee and wish I had gone for help. I do not know how long it will last for you, but my physical lasted about 2 weeks (Nasty oily skin, unbalanced walking, headaches, sweating/freezing, amongst other pains) and the first 6 days or so, I was extremely emotional and had wild mood swings. Don't take my experience as what yours would be, though. I strongly suggest just going to the Dr. It would have saved me and my children a lot of pain if I had.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Yea it is different for everyone, myself I went to the ER,wound up in the ICU once, and home detox by myself several times. Doing it myself was pure torture each time , I highly recommend doing with a doctor help. But for me the worst of the vomiting, insomnia, shaking ,chills ect, last 3-4 days. Then for me I would start feeling human.

Wish you well, and remember you wont have to go thru it again.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I really recommend seeing a Dr for everyone - why not be safe and put your mind at ease?

D
Old 07-08-2012, 08:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I dont have money for a copay, and they might do a catscan. i went in once during aperiod of light drinking with numbness issues. The hospital bill was 4000 dollars, i thought it was covered but i got this mystery bill for 800 dollars, related to that visit. I havent called to ask-but it wasnt clear if i needed to pay. So i'm going to risk it. they say it peaks around this day.so im assuming this is the worst. Im going to go buy gatorade and vitamins right now.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

The 10286 clinics in this database are free, low cost, low cost with a sliding scale based on income, or offer some type of financial assistance.

Free/Low-Cost/Sliding-Scale Clinics

D
Old 07-08-2012, 08:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sobriety date 12/19/2011

I got Castor Oil from the health food store and a flannel cloth. I put the castor oil on the flannel cloth and put that over my abdomen, mainly on top of my liver area and then I got a plastic bag put that on top of the flannel and then a heating pad. It is called a castor oil pack - search it on the internet. It really helps with the detoxing, along with what your doctor says. I find I can call my doctor and she really helps by calling in a prescription when I don't have money for a visit. I also upped all of my B vitamins, as alcohol depletes the body of B. Also Zinc, folic acid, and magnesium.

Castor oil packs work wonders though - they apparently cause the liver to heal itself. I have used them since I was in my late teens, and I think that they have kept me from going through the withdrawls that so many have on here. I just had the shakes and craved sugar - lots of sugar!!!! I use to drink red wine or beer approx every night since I was 17ish - and now I am 42. I guess that all my Holistic Health modalities really did pay off.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I was feeling much better after about 4-5 days. Very spacey and irritable until then...
Old 07-08-2012, 09:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I felt the same for the first couple of days. I could feel my nostrils flaring at something on the TV or vainly enough the thought of myself doing something altruistic. My psychological symptoms passed within 5 days. I'm on Day 8 now with slightly twitch fingers and legs but in the main feeling much healthier than before and still not particularly wanting a drink. 8 Day's is probably the longest I have been without a drink in 12 years. That statistic alone really makes me wonder what I've been up to.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

As others have said, see a doctor. I wish I would have a lot earlier on than I eventually did. I was sick for a month. Don't use the excuse of no money or insurance. I went to a county facility's ER a little over a week into my sobriety. Took forever to be seen, but I waited - and I'm alive. I never again will let my fear of a bill prevent me from getting help. Help is out there - please look. Wishing you the best.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gnly View Post
Thanks for the replies. I haven't visited the doctor, but i read that the DTs occur within 24 hrs.
This is not true, this can happen 3-5 days in. Go see a Dr.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:59 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I spent many years drinking every single day. It got to the point where it was a half rack or more every night. I have had a couple short stints of sobriety since then but not for very long. The last several months I've had it down to only 1 to 2 times a week. Do you think I'm still going to have withdrawals? I'm on my 4th day sober and I have been kind of spacey, can't sleep until six in the morning, high anxiety, and just kind of blah.