Notices

Sober at a show....How?

Old 07-07-2012, 12:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober at a show....How?

Tonight I am working for a non-profit at a String Cheese Incident concert...a jam band VERY well known for the ridiculous amounts of drugs and alcohol consumed during their shows.

I can't get out of it because I signed up to volunteer a while ago and already missed my last volunteer opp. because I doing drugs...so my question is, ideas to stay away from all the temptations during this show?

I can't drink while I volunteer, but we have to stay until the end. Most volunteers end up having beers and smoking weed once the show starts because it isn't busy anymore. I am SO NERVOUS...please let me know what I can do to help myself. Thank you!
Old 07-07-2012, 12:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Cheese concert = everone is on and dealing drugs

Can you get out of this? sounds like the worst place to be in early sobriety.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree. Like I said I missed the last volunteer opportunity and got in trouble for it. This is day 3 of their shows and will probably be the wildest. I am trying to get out of it now. Thanks for the perspective, I needed it!
Old 07-07-2012, 12:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have caught a few cheese concerts back in my wild days, I would maybe be honest with them why you need to sit it out. I know it takes "eating a slice of humble pie". But I would say its your best bet.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes, sit this one out...

Not sure how anyone can give you "trouble" for missing a volunteer gig...

Do what's best for you...
Old 07-07-2012, 01:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Zee

Cheese concert? Am I too old, too british or not cool enough?
They do drugs with chedder and mozzerella?
Please don't laugh at me
Old 07-07-2012, 02:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

String cheese incident- a bluegrass/psychedelic/jam band. notorious for having a large number of avid followers that deal and take drugs to be able to follow the band around the country.
Think : modern day grateful dead.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Shadowboxer

It's great that you're feeling responsible enough to fulfill your obligations - it's not great that you're willing to put other people needs before your own welfare though.

I dunno what kind of volunteering it is that ppl do at a concert (and why the volunteers get wasted themselves)

I know you can do a lot of useful volunteering in your community without being surrounded by drugs and booze.

Recovery means life changes - personally? I think this might be a great place to start

D
Old 07-07-2012, 02:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

I agree with everyone else. Don't go. I'm sure people get sick all the time and can't show up to volunteer. Say you're throwing up and can't come. Seriously, it's not worth it just because you signed up a while ago.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Time to pull out the scales and weigh out what's more important to you. Your sobriety or getting in trouble for a volunteer gig? I'm not familiar with the group or their fan culture but it sounds intense. I'm going to a concert tonight but not nearly that bad. We saw Death Cab for Cutie the night before and there was plenty of beer and weed but the venue for all this is quite public so nothing gets out of hand. I'd say if you're not 100% sure of your ability to stay sober then sit it out. I'd rather get chewed out sober than be hung over and have to live with that sense of loss. When you start walking the path of sobriety, your priorities change. Personally, i now know what people mean when they call their sobriety precious. I feel like Gollum with the Ring when it comes to mine.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Willing to go to any lengths to stay sober....That's the place I had to get to in order to stay sober.
We never know if this one time using could be our last or if we'll even want to stay sober again.
I kept repeating "to drink is to die" in early sobriety.
Alcohol and drugs do not mess around, they want our lives.
You can do this
stay safe
Old 07-07-2012, 02:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm not going and I'm not in 'trouble'. And its downpouring and lightning so its likely the show will be cancelled anyway. All was in my favor, for today at least. Thanks for all your support, it means a lot.
Old 07-07-2012, 03:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Recoveringed

I also would not suggest that anyone in early recovery attend an event flooded with drugs & drink, although I'm not so sure I would feel the same about attending down the road.

As someone who has been close to many musicians & has attended countless concerts, my ears perked up when I heard about the Wharf Rats. I have yet to have any personal experience with them, but I'm interested in what they're doing.

Wharf Rats - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.wharfrat.org/wp-content/u...summer2009.pdf

If you scroll down to the bottom of this one you'll find they covered the String Cheese Incident Tour in 2009...I'll bet they're there now too.
Old 07-07-2012, 03:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I guess different experiences for everyone. Even when I was drinking - I think I only drank at one or two of the hundreds of concerts I've been to. I've always cared more about getting up front and keeping my spot. (:
Old 07-08-2012, 09:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

KnowHope - AH! I love this wharf rats thing! LOVE IT. Thank you so much for pointing it out to me. I am so excited to look into it and see if they have a group near me. Thanks again!!
Old 07-09-2012, 01:21 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Please explain why missing this volunteer opportunity is so damn important. Its not like you are saving starving children in Africa.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:24 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Dgillz - I did not attend, so no worries. The organization I work for just means a lot to me and that's why I was torn. But I put my sobriety before it and made the right decision