Notices

I need off the merry go round

Old 07-07-2012, 07:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need off the merry go round

I binge drink and every time I go through the withdrawl cycle and remorse, I swear it will be the last time I will every go though this again but here I am. I am committing to taking this situation seriously and changing this cycle forever. Nothing is worth this. I hope to get support and inspiration from this site. Thanks Mike
Old 07-07-2012, 07:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR..I was on that merry go round for a long time...I committed to AA...Went to 90 meetings in 90 days...Got a sponsor...Worked the steps and haven't had a drink in a year...It can be done...I proved that to myself.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Mike-

Great decision, congrats !

Aside from saying this, you also need to take some tactical steps to ensure you get and stay sober man... AA is a great start.

Learn from our experience/mistakes/triumphs and conquests over addiction.

I was in your exact shoes for far too long, but at 35 years of age - decided enough is enough and it will be 1.5 years sober next month. I joined this forum at 28, thus the name

Binge drinking is what I did, usually Thur or Friday start, but as my disease progressed, so did the start day... Monday/Tue - it did not matter, King Alcohol kept winning.

You can do it , we all can....

All the best and feel free to PM me at anytime !
Old 07-07-2012, 08:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
DAB

If I can convince myself that I don't want to drink anymore, then I won't.
If I still want to drink, eventually I will.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was in that cycle for many years, too. All the regret, anxiety and remorse the day after is terrible. I was thinking yesterday how much time I spent in bed recovering from a binge, and it was a LOT. What a waste.

What works for me, is to think that first drink through to the end and the misery it'll bring.

A program of recovery is a great idea. AA has saved many lives. You'll be with, and hear stories from, people who drink like you do.

If you put the effort of procurring alcohol, imbibng it and recovering from it into your recovery you can't go wrong.

Many of us have been in your shoes and are recovering. You are not alone.
Post here as often as you feel you need to. We're here for you.

Best to you.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome!

I hope to get support and inspiration from this site.

Stick around, and you will. For me it wasn't quite enough. I also needed the face to face support and fellowship of AA.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sobriety date 12/19/2011

I was on the perpetual circle riding it hard. I am now walking a straight path and it feels so much better.
I did it through AA, following my sponsors advice and working the steps.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Uggg the sicking over and over and over again. I finally surrendered at 40 years old, and things are just so much better.

Welcome aboard
Old 07-07-2012, 01:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Mike

I'm sure you'll find lots of help and inspiration here x
Old 07-07-2012, 03:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes, it is an awful merry go round (although I always like them as a kid). This one is no fun! Stick around the site. You CAN get off of it.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Mike
I found a lot of support here - you'll find a lot of ideas too and a lot of different methods at work .

Are you thinking of face to face support as well?

D
Old 07-07-2012, 04:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yes I am, I actually went too as in the past and got 5 years
Old 07-07-2012, 08:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

hi mike, my heart goes out to you. i remember literally begging the universe/god whatever, to take this cyclical, seemingly self induced issue away from me. i could not understand how i could just beat the crap out of myself that way. why did i do it? and moreover how could i (quite literally) forget less than a day or two later and do it again?

i'll tell you what and i am not endorsing anything by saying this, but if you read chapter 2 of the big book from AA i bet you will relate to it even if you never set foot in a meeting. it literally blew my mind that someone else had thought these thoughts before. when you're an alcoholic in a sea of non alcoholics no one says anything like this out loud. in fact i always felt like people would think i was out of my mind if i told them about the torment that went on in my head. for some reason that chapter made me realize how many people out there have felt exactly that way. now i just keep reading stories on SR or otherwise, any book i can get my hands on, watching intervention...anything i can do to keep feeling supported ALL the time. there is so much out there if you look for it.

i feel like SR helped to save my life, so keep talking and i bet you'll be amazed and grateful for what you hear and how we've all been there done that too. ((hugs))
Old 07-07-2012, 09:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Mike!

I tried and tried and couldn't stay sober on my own. Just when I was feeling totally helpless I "coincidentally" came upon this place. The support and inspiration here have helped turned my life around.

There are lots resources out there (AA, SMART recovery, AVRT, counselors, psych docs, rehab, to name a few). Most of us need something. You've already taken the first, and biggest, step though, by facing your problem and reaching out. Glad you're joining us!
Old 07-08-2012, 05:52 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

We have all been on that merry-go-round cycle of doom and despair! Drink till you pass out..swear its the last time... wake up...get the DT's..drink to get stable.... keep drinking to stay stable.... drink too much...get to point of passing out...say to yourself..ok tomorrow will be different...until the DT's start again.... vicious cycle.

You CAN and WILL do this... if your drinking to help ward off the DT's like many of us have done... I suggest going to see your doctor to help you through it... like many of us..drinking alcohol isnt about getting drunk and having fun...its a necessity unfortunately simply because "we hurt" when we dont have the poison in us... detoxing is awful for most of us, hence why i say seek medical help which can truly ease the transition...and once you get over that hump..you will be amazed at how much better you feel, and true sleep vs. passing out...wow..what a difference in how well rested you will be... after the first 4 or 5 days for me... i would wake up and wanted to conquer the world!!! I hadnt felt like that in over 6 years of being a daily heavy vodka drinker...

stay strong, stay sober, keep the faith my friend... we are all here for you and where you are walking now...we have all walked before... hug
Old 07-08-2012, 06:06 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!

Glad you are here!
Old 07-08-2012, 06:25 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

Welcome! So many great people with lots of support and wonderful advice on this board. =)