Notices

Trying to make this my first day again!

Old 07-07-2012, 06:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying to make this my first day again!

Tried yesterday, But that went out the window. 16 Beers Later!! OK I am gonna try again today! BUT! We are having a 4th of july bash at my house today and there is gonna be beer there. Best thing is, I usually dont drink or heavily when there are people around. So hopefully I can do this. Danm craving for beer on way home is killing me!!
Old 07-07-2012, 06:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

i stopped 2 years ago for like 2 months, was feeling great, looking better and lost weight. I liked the way I felt. Then one day, decided to have 1 beer, then the following week 2 beers and you know where it goes from there..
Old 07-07-2012, 06:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

Hunter, welcome!

Is your desire to quit or moderate?
Old 07-07-2012, 06:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hunter.... As I've learned, there never seemed to be a "convenient" time to quit drinking... Parties,Stags,Birthdays always come up....List goes on and on... My alcoholic mind kept asking "how are you going to these things and not drinking ? Quit after it, but for now, just cut down..." It NEVER worked.

In order for me to get sober, I had to get serious and honest about my problem...That means avoiding all these types of events for the first 90 days.... Now I can go into any party/dinner/stag and have no issues, I actually have more fun sober !
Old 07-07-2012, 06:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
Hunter, welcome!

Is your desire to quit or moderate?

Quitting would be ideal. I mean whats the point of drinking. But if quitting didnt work, I would be ok with a six pack every now and then.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Encourager In Training

Thanks, Hunter.

If I may, someone who aims for zero but ends up with sixteen has an alcohol problem. A big, big problem.

This thing will eventually kill you, bro. Now, you can play footsie and entertain delusions of the occasional six pack. Or, you can take your life back by confronting your addiction head-on and guns blazing. Your very life is at stake, Friend. I urge you to consider quitting entirely, now and forever. You'll never regret it!
Old 07-07-2012, 07:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

Originally Posted by Hunter101 View Post
Quitting would be ideal. I mean whats the point of drinking. But if quitting didnt work, I would be ok with a six pack every now and then.
That approach never worked for me. It was only when I committed to never drinking alcohol again did I have any success. You can try moderation, but I almost guarantee that you won't be successful at it and will be trying to get rid of an even bigger problem with alcohol in the future.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by duane1 View Post
That approach never worked for me. It was only when I committed to never drinking alcohol again did I have any success. You can try moderation, but I almost guarantee that you won't be successful at it and will be trying to get rid of an even bigger problem with alcohol in the future.
Thats funny, cause i did try the moderation. And now i find myself back at it again! How true.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Hunter, I would suggest removing the word "try" from your vocabulary. "Trying" to quit tends not to work too well, in my experience. Actually DOING it, now that works.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks, Hunter.

If I may, someone who aims for zero but ends up with sixteen has an alcohol problem. A big, big problem.

This thing will eventually kill you, bro. Now, you can play footsie and entertain delusions of the occasional six pack. Or, you can take your life back by confronting your addiction head-on and guns blazing. Your very life is at stake, Friend. I urge you to consider quitting entirely, now and forever. You'll never regret it!
You are definately kinda scaring me. Its just a stupid tough habit to break. But, Im going for it. Gonna try and stop completely!
Thanks man!
Old 07-07-2012, 07:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Ouch Hunter. I'm not quite sure what to say. When I gave up drinking I had to avoid beery situations. And that's not because of some BS reason like I'm an alcoholic and I can never be around beer again! It was because I knew that if I couldn't, on my own, make the decision to not buy alcohol on the way home from work, then there was absolutely no way I was going fare any better when it was sat in front of me in a pub or wherever.

That said, I did have to go to the pub in my first week of recovery with work. I nearly cried. But seeing as I had already made my commitment to never drink again, I managed. I drank a soft drink and made sure I didn't get too comfortable and left early. Every event like that I had to face I had a huge sense of pride at getting through. But I still avoided them as much as possible. Now it is so much easier and I enjoy social occasions much more, even than when I was drinking. But that first month or so...

Do you live with other drinkers? Everyone has different difficult situations to manoeuvre in early recovery but there are little tactics to help. It is difficult to do this on our own, just carrying on as normal but just not drinking. Have you considered a recovery program at all?
Old 07-07-2012, 07:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks, Hunter.

Well said !
Old 07-07-2012, 07:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am on my first day on this board and working on my first day sober, so I can really give advice other than agreeing with what the others have said. Trying is dying.
Im in your same boat, all we can do is our best to be strong.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Same here. Moderation does not work.

I could write a book.

I'm sorry Bill W. but I'm at day 2 AGAIN!!

Miserable.