Notices

Addiction Claimed My Cousin's Life Last Night

Old 07-07-2012, 12:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
MINEr

Addiction Claimed My Cousin's Life Last Night

After a long battle with addiction, my cousin died of sudden cardiac arrest. He was 40, and left behind a 22 year old daughter. He felt that he didn't have a problem, though was in and out of prisons for most of his adult life. He felt it was everyone else's fault most of the time. Though he wanted to get clean, he felt he could do it on his own, and that twelve step programs weren't his thing. I am not posting this to garner sympathy, I have family, friends, and a strong support network in AA to help me through this difficult time. I just want to share a message with those struggling to find their way to sobriety. Once the disease of addiction was done with my cousin, it moved on, it didn't care about him one way or another. Diseases don't care, they just kill, blindly and without prejudice. If you are here looking for whether you are or aren't an addict, chances are if you came this far, you probably are. Get the help offered, go to meetings, do what others who have long term sobriety tell you. Why, cause they succeeded in one of life's most difficult battles. Don't let prejudices and fear stand in the way. If one has cancer, they get chemotherapy. I am an alcoholic, I go to AA, it keeps me sober and alive, and with effort, will do so for the rest of my life, God willing. And don't let the God thing stand in the way, if you had to pray to get your Chemo, you would be on your knees in a heartbeat. And in all honesty, addiction doesn't give a crap about where your faith lies, whether you do or don't believe, it just kills.

Sorry for the rage, but I am very angry at a disease that has claimed someone close to me, and will continue to claim others. I don't know most of the people who will read this, but I do love you, and I want you to live.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thankyou for posting camedown. It gives us all an important message. This disease is deadly and we all need to do whatever it takes to keep well.
I'm so sorry for your loss. Your cousin is at peace now, free of that demon. Your post may have actually saved someone here from following that same path.
My thoughts are with you xx
Old 07-07-2012, 12:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

Sorry to hear that. So sad.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for this camedown. I'm so sorry to hear of your loss, and I am thinking of you and your family at this time. Addiction kills so many people, day after day, and even those who are not addicted, but others, too. Two members of my family have been killed due to this horrible disease, and one is on their way out, I believe. I think your message is very strong - drinking isn't worth it even if there are doubts of whether someone is addicted or not. It's not worth it at all. I am saddened to hear that someone close to you has suffered because of it and I thank you for trying to send the message to others that this can kill, and will kill. It's not a matter of 'if' but 'when'.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sorry about your cousin but confuse about if he wanted to get clean? You said that he didn't think he didn't have a problem but wanted to get clean. :-/
Old 07-07-2012, 01:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
MINEr

He wanted to get clean but didn't think it was his problem, in that it should have been given to him, instead of him going through the work to do it, ie zero support network, no meetings, etc. I may have worded that poorly, I'm in a pretty ****** place myself right now, but thanks to therapy, an AA meeting, three drunk calls, one sponsor call, and some twelve step work, I will go to bed sober tonight, hopefully soon cause I'm beat.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really sorry for your loss CD...there's no words to really make it right.

Prayers for your cousin and all who knew and loved him - and prayers for peace for you too.

D
Old 07-07-2012, 02:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I too, am so sorry to hear about your loss. Addiction is a horrible killer. My prayers are with you today.
Old 07-07-2012, 03:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sorry for your loss camedown...Prayers for you and your family...I also lost a cousin to alcoholism that was my age and I was close with....Your post speaks the truth and maybe you will save one life in sharing that. Stay close to your support network as you get through this.
Old 07-07-2012, 03:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm 40 and have been fighting with alcoholism most of my life. Hearing this now I'm afraid to go to sleep!! I'm sorry to hear that this disease took another life.
Old 07-07-2012, 03:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm sorry for your loss camedown.
Old 07-07-2012, 03:36 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

i am sorry hearing about your loved one camedown. my dad drank himself to death 20 years ago at 41 years of age. such a tragedy this disease has such a grip on people
Old 07-07-2012, 03:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

CD, you have my deepest condolences on your loss.

Thank you for posting this, maybe someone will learn from it.

Love,
Old 07-07-2012, 03:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear this @camedown. This thing we all face is truly a death sentence as long as we continue living in denial and keep passing the buck. If anything, this sad news can serve to remind us that help and treatment is not something to shrug off, and that this dis-ease is truly ominous left to it's own devices.

I hope you can take some respite in knowing his internal struggles are over and he can rest in peace.

Thoughts and prayers are with you.
Old 07-07-2012, 03:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

So sorry that you lost your cousin, camedown. His loss has hurt you deeply, as I'm sure it has other family members. Thank you for posting about this, as it helps keep us who struggle with the disease cognizant of its ultimate consequences. Prayers for you and your family.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:22 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Recovering

Camedown,

My prayers are with all your family.

Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon him. May he rest in peace +
Old 07-07-2012, 04:31 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I am so sorry for your loss. That was a very eloquent and true post.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:20 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Sobriety date 12/19/2011

I was 15 and had to watch my father die that year from alcoholism. A whole lot of other family members died from alcoholism also.
I am thankful to have finally gotten sober, I don't want to put my kids through that at all.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:32 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Oh dear.. my deepest sympathies to you and your family for your tragic loss. hug its sad but true..addiction knows no boundaries.. perhaps your letter here may save a life or two...take consolation in that... again, im truly sorry..we are all here for you!
Old 07-07-2012, 05:51 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

My deepest condolensces and prayers to you and your family. I understand your anger at this selfish disease. It doesn't discriminate, doesn't care who it hurts, doesn't care what it destroys - it just wants what it wants at any cost, including human life. I am deeply sorry that it claimed your cousin, and I will be thinking of you and your family. Hugs and prayers to all of you.