Went to our first meeting tonight

Old 07-06-2012, 10:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Went to our first meeting tonight

My husband and I went to our first Al-Anon meeting tonight. Sharing was good.. being around others going through some of the same struggles was also very good.. So I Keep going. Going to another one Sunday night... So my Journey begins.

I told my husband Thank you for going with me, and he looked at me straight in the eye and said.. "Did you think I would let you go through this alone? This really touched me.. he is such a good husband.. I feel blessed.

I just felt like sharing this. This is my AD's step father. So he is one of those bonus dad's since her real dad is gone..

".
Old 07-07-2012, 05:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
TMZ

I am so glad you had such a good experience. Remember; you should go to six meetings before you decide if it will provide the support you need.

You have a special husband there. Only about 25% of us men will go and seek help like that, and share. Men are the quickest to detach. I think it is hardest on the mother to step back and allow the A to help themselves.

I would like to know, since it was Al-Anon were the accepting of your dealing with a drug addiction?

When my AS realized I had been attending regularly and that I knew the steps they stopped trying to manipulate me.

It works when you work it and your worth it !
Old 07-07-2012, 06:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

TMZ - I go to Al-anon as well because there are not many Nara-non meetings in my area. In my case, there are many people who are there because of addiction and it is accepted.

When someone talks about their "qualifier" as opposed to their "alcoholic," I kind of assume they are talking about an addict and I am usually right. I have noticed in my many cases the qualifier is both....an addict and an alcoholic.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TMZ View Post
I would like to know, since it was Al-Anon were the accepting of your dealing with a drug addiction?
Yes they were very accepting. Although my AD is not an Alcoholic, I never sought support for my parents and my AD's Father who are/were alcoholics.So I can relate in all ways and finally learn how to let go of all of my past pains too. Thank you all for the kind words.