Bad cops?

Old 07-05-2012, 03:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bad cops?

Hey ladies and gents,

Any of you have any experience or advice regarding filing complaints against police officers? My landlord called 911 on my (now X)ABF during what would become his very last 3 am assault. The responding officer was *grossly* negligent. I'd be happy to go into details in a PM -- but basically it was the most misogynistic unprofessional display I've ever seen.

At the urging of another officer (no more incidents, she's just a colleague's wife!), I finally gathered the nerve to reach out to Internal Affairs. I spoke to IA today and they seemed willing to listen and now want a written statement. Do I want/need a lawyer involved in writing it? Is it better if it just comes from my voice?

Just to preempt any doubts about motive, yes, I'm aware that I may derive some personal satisfaction from finally speaking out against maltreatment, and that *most* of my abuse was from XABF, not this officer. I can assure you that speaking out is just a small benefit compared to the hope that this officer will receive appropriate training and never in the future respond to a 911 call by telling a battered woman, "You should stop making your partner so angry!"

Any advice about the complaint appreciated. Thanks, comrades!
Old 07-05-2012, 03:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry you were put through that - it's bad enough to endure abuse, and it's worse for you to be told by an idiot of an officer that it's your fault.

Yes, you may get some personal satisfaction from the process, but the bigger win is that you may also help keep another battered woman from going through what you went through with that officer. I can't offer any advice, but I do say a BIG kudos to you for following through and for helping to make things better for others out there & helping to keep them from having to suffer the same negligence.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Yes file the report, no you do not need a lawyer. IA takes complaints like this
very seriously!

This 'officer'-? certainly needs some sensitivity training. He sounds like he back
in the '70's'. Sheesh

Good for you, you will probably help someone else in that they may either not
have this officer make a call on them in a DV dispute or he will have learned
some sensitivity and tact.

Love and hugs,