Notices

8 Days sober-what to expect

Old 07-05-2012, 09:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

8 Days sober-what to expect

I'm on day 8 and feeling pretty good for the most part. Only had 1 episode of mild panic yesterday. The past few nights I've been having horrible nightmares and then wake up to these feeling panic. Its a the point where I fear falling asleep. Sleeping is not to well (as to be expected) last night It took me 2hrs. before I fell asleep. I'm having trouble eating and feel tired most of the day.

Its hard to believe where i was a week ago. I'm greatful to be out of that mess and feeling much better but i'm curious if anyone else had these symptoms and how long did they last?
Old 07-05-2012, 10:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Mits,
I have tried on and off for the past year to quit - I had some success and yes I went through those symptoms. I think the sleep thing is your body actually getting normal sleep again and not passing out sleep. The tiredness is your body catching up after living off the poison and being used to it for so long. I don't know if I am right but that's what it has felt like to me in the beginning stages and yes it passes. Today is my day 5 and I am going through similar things. I also had nightmares before - havent had too many this time around luckily but yes it has happened to me. 8 days is great - you are almost at double digits!!!!!!!! Keep it up!!!!
Old 07-05-2012, 10:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by copperfield View Post
you are almost at double digits!!!!!!!! Keep it up!!!!
I needed that, Thanks!
Old 07-05-2012, 10:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

At 8 days, I was pretty tired. And my moods were all over the place. How long did this last... well for a week or two, and to a lesser extent, right up to now (day 32). But my moods don't sink quite so badly as they did, and while I'm still irritable, I don't stay angry for so long.
It will get better. And congrats on day 8.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm at 3 1/2 weeks this go around and still feeling awful tired although I'm finally sleeping better. Plus a BIG win: I'm not waking up hungover and disgusted with myself every morning!

Moods all over the place but they were when I was drinking daily too, and without the "shame" and self-disgust, I feel much better overall.

Congrats on eight days, Mits! Are you using any plan or program?
Old 07-05-2012, 12:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Location: Las Vegas, Nevada... Originally from Cincinnati, Ohio
Originally Posted by copperfield View Post
Hi Mits,
I have tried on and off for the past year to quit - I had some success and yes I went through those symptoms. I think the sleep thing is your body actually getting normal sleep again and not passing out sleep. The tiredness is your body catching up after living off the poison and being used to it for so long. I don't know if I am right but that's what it has felt like to me in the beginning stages and yes it passes. Today is my day 5 and I am going through similar things. I also had nightmares before - havent had too many this time around luckily but yes it has happened to me. 8 days is great - you are almost at double digits!!!!!!!! Keep it up!!!!
I have been trying on and off as well for the past year to quit. Got to 41 days, 2 weeks, 3 weeks, and the very first time I had nightmares and sweats. I am on day 5 this time around and haven't had as bad of an experience (knock on wood). It's getting harder for me because there aren't too many meetings in my small town.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I had all those things, too, Mits - I guess it's part of the healing process. We're not used to being patient with ourselves either, but you've gotten through the longest week of your life (at least it was for me!) and things really will get a little better every day.

Stick with it - it's worth it!:ghug3
Old 07-05-2012, 02:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
instant

It all takes time Mits. All sorts of things go on with sleep, anxiety, moods, motivation etc. It's all part of the process of the body and soul getting back to normal.

It took me years to get where I was, it didn't resolve in a week. The first week is the hardest, and it keeps getting better from there.

I still think of it as an adventure. I know where the previous road went, now I am on a new one.............No matter what.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

8 days sober

Hi Guys
Yeh I'm on 8 days I have been attending AA meetings and phoning guys from the group when I have shaky moments which is almost continually.
Anxiety depression etc.I will take whatever this addiction gives me but I will not drink.
I will always be an alcoholic but I am an alcoholic that doesn't drink.
Because I can't have one drink ,because it always leads to many drinks.
That's why I believe this disease is incurable for me.
I wake up feeling guilty every morning at 3am thinking did I drink last night.I feel nervous around alcohol.Because it ruins lives.
Thanks for the post
Old 03-15-2018, 11:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Keep it up guys.If you pick up a drink phone for help

Don't pick it up.
Remember the main rule of recovery is not drinking
Old 03-15-2018, 04:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Gulfstream
This is a 6 year old thread - feel free to start your own thread anytime

D