It can't be much longer.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It can't be much longer.

Hi guys. Been a long time. 6 months or so I think. I started posting here almost a year ago after my mom was in ICU for a month for her drinking. It was quite a long thread, I haven't been able to find it, though. It would have made more sense if I had tacked on to it.

I hope you all are well. I've been taking time off of "being the daughter of an alcoholic" and just being a mother and a wife. It's been nice! I am happy to say, last week I completed all the pre-reqs needed to apply to the nursing program with a 3.81 gpa!! Despite all the craziness of this life, I DID IT!! I think the support here during the hardest part helped tremendously. Thank you all so much!!

For the bad news, my mother was finally court ordered to rehab and was admitted on February 14th. She was there for over 4 months. 2 days after getting out of rehab she was pulled over and got her first DUI with open container in the car! She spent the night in jail, has a suspended license and went out and drank some more the next night (which was last night, got out of jail on the 3rd). My dad called the cops (yep...he is still stuck with all of this, filed for divorce in October and has made it no where because her attorney has been pushing everything back for her "rehab") because she was in drunk in her car in the driveway. They came out, she was unresponsive, eyes rolling back in her head, called ambulance and she's back in the hospital.

I'm sure they will pump her full of fluids and all things good and send her off on her merry way again. She'll be in a better place for a few days or weeks and be right back at it again. I honestly don't know how her body has held out this long. Back last summer docs didn't have high hopes for her and they had me calling around trying to find a rehab she could live in, not for the alcohol, but because she couldn't walk or eat, etc. on her own. Within a week she bounced back, was walking, talking, eating, then out there driving and drinking...she just keeps coming "back" like the energizer bunny.

And, here I am eating organic, seeing 3 doctors and battling chronic illness of my own, while busting my ass through school and going broke on medical bills. She's out there doing this crap. THAT's the one thing of all of it that pisses me off. People suffering and fighting so hard through illness and she's out there torturing her body and nothing gets her down.

Otherwise...besides being bitter about that, I'm taking a back seat, not a single call, still don't talk to most of the family and not getting caught up in the drama any more. Been the best year (almost) ever despite my own illness.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on the scholastic accomplishment and for focusing on your and your own family! So sorry to hear that your mom is still on the same path and that you're having health troubles. Sending you strength and hugs!:ghug3
Old 07-05-2012, 09:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thanks, Cecilia. That's very nice of you!

What a beautiful dog in your avatar!
Old 07-05-2012, 11:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks, doublewhammy! That's my cranky old man of a dog...13 years young! As old as he is, the not-so-little floof monster still beats my 37 year old booty up the stairs.

And seriously, I am so in awe of your ability to keep your own family & schooling on track. Your strength and focus are amazing, and that GPA ain't nothing to sneeze at either! I haven't been so successful in that arena. Still trying to get the courage and energy to get back to finish my last course for my masters. Essentially dropped out last spring because I just couldn't handle full time work + full time school + full time drama at home. BIG BIG BIG kudos to you, and the best of luck to you on your next scholastic endeavor!
Old 07-06-2012, 10:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wow! 13 -- he looks so young!

Thanks for the kind words about school. I still have a ways to go, but I'm excited to be able to move on to the next chapter and be in nursing school.

If I understood correctly, you only have one more course to complete your masters? You have to do it when the time is right for you, but please don't let that slip away from you. You've worked too hard to not finish! Even if just for the self accomplishment factor! You can do it!
Old 07-06-2012, 11:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm sorry to hear that your mom continues to slide down this path, but it's great to hear that despite all of it-you are doing great! Congrats on the schooling, GPA..all of it. We CAN rise above it all-you just proved it! Go girl!