Notices

Tonight had me ranting.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tonight had me ranting.

I forgot that I needed cash for early tomorrow morning, so I went to the grocery store. Right after I begin driving I remember it being the fourth of july. I think my grip on my steering wheel was the tightest it's ever been. I made it there and then on my way home I had at least two people pull in front of me, This, SoberRecovery, is why I'm so very thankful to be sober and aware of everything. I was thanking my sobriety more than ever tonight.

I got home and my neighbor was outside, and the first thing I said to him was "Man, that was scary!". Then I proceeded to tell him about the idiots pulling in front of me and all that, and guess where the subject led to? Sobriety.

He was a former alcoholic and he quit drinking years ago - and he attended AA. So me and him talked for awhile tonight and it was good. He was happy that I saw "the light" and that I'm set in my ways. One of his friends and co-worker, age 27, died from an alcohol related crash.

All of these people coming into my life, and they're sober. I really like the direction my life has taken since quitting alcohol. Like my neighbor said, changing environments really helps on ones mind and attitude.

Hope everyone had a safe 4th of July.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
NA Member

Our higher power works in mysterious ways, huh?
Old 07-04-2012, 07:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Do you go to AA meetings Gerbosko?
Old 07-04-2012, 07:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

Coincidences! I run into "us" all of the time now!
Old 07-04-2012, 08:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Nice story, thanks for sharing. I was thinking on my way home tonight how liberating it felt that while I was driving if I had gotten pulled over for any reason, I wouldn't have to worry at all about the cops smelling alcohol because I didn't have any. What a great feeling.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sure does, Free2BClean .

@Sapling - No, I do not go to AA. Whatever path to sobriety someone wants to take (and it works) is all good in my book.

SB - I'm finding that out, too. I've never noticed how many sober people are around till I myself got sober. I love meeting other people who are sober, most have been through worse than I have (if they were former drinkers).

Steve07 - I love that sense of freedom and awareness that comes with sobriety. No more looking over our shoulders and hoping a cop isn't there or if someone notices our driving. I've never had a run-in with the law, so I have no problems with them. I'm happy they're strict on the laws though.. except I don't think the jail sentence matches the crime when it comes to that though.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I just figured if the guy got sober years ago in AA it might be good to go to a meeting with him...If you're doing fine...No problem...At least you know he's there.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm safe and secure in my recovery , I just enjoy meeting others that are sober. From what I gathered from him is that he no longer attends AA.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good for you.....And good for him.