I am so co-dependent.....

Old 07-04-2012, 05:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

I am so co-dependent.....

I am so co-dependent that I completely stress about how nervous and upset my dogs become when there is fireworks. I usually have to sedate one or two of them.

I hate fire works now!!
Old 07-04-2012, 06:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

you are a caring and attentive dog owner.

practice Positive Thinking.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry that your dogs are so disturbed by the fireworks. I don't think that's a codependent issue to be concerned about their wellfare though...... It's awful to watch an animal totally freaking out over fireworks.

This is one holiday that I am glad that both of my beloved dogs were born deaf. They are not bothered by the noise at all.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 07-04-2012, 06:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Well, I don't think that can be considered being co-dependent. The dogs can't help that the noise from fireworks scare them. It's very common for both dogs and cats to be nervous when they hear loud noises, and don't forget, their sense of hearing is many times greater than ours.

I'm glad you realize they are frightened and have taken steps to help alleviate their anxiety. You're a good doggie mama.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My dogs are barkers for thunder and fireworks. But they've gotten better over the years. I've actually given a little Benedryl to them in the past...
Old 07-04-2012, 06:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Zee

I was always told that when there are fireworks, don't hug or pet your dogs too much and just act normal (they react to stress in you) If you're not bothered, why should they be. Have the tv on as a destraction as well.
We have an air show where I live, Red Arrows, F16s, Harriers etc. really loud. I use these rules on my pets and it seems to work (the cats are like...meh!)
Old 07-04-2012, 06:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Thunder storms do not even faze them but fireworks make them so scared.

I have tried Benedryl but it didn't help so my vet gives me something stronger. Of course, living on the river makes it worse because of all the parties.

I am almost embarrassed to admit it but in the past...I was "almost" happy when it rained.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Originally Posted by Zee View Post
I was always told that when there are fireworks, don't hug or pet your dogs too much and just act normal (they react to stress in you) If you're not bothered, why should they be. Have the tv on as a destraction as well.
We have an air show where I live, Red Arrows, F16s, Harriers etc. really loud. I use these rules on my pets and it seems to work (the cats are like...meh!)
I was told to clap and praise them with a treat for thunder storms and that worked. No fear of thunder but it just didn't work for fire works. I have all the tvs on..and loud. We are all on my bed and I can still feel one of them trembling. ughhhh
Old 07-04-2012, 06:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

One of my dogs hates thunder, but doesn't seem to be bothered by fireworks. The other dog and my cat couldn't care less what's going on outside. They're spoiled rotten and life for them is just a piece of cake!
Old 07-04-2012, 07:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I left my dog home when I went to my brother's for fireworks tonight because I was worried that he would be scared. When I came home he had had a BIG dog party (ie threw the trash throughout the house).....guess all of the neighborhood fireworks activated him!

If I am going to be codie with anyone - it's best that it's my dog....he's sort of codie on me....come to think about it....
Old 07-04-2012, 08:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Have y'all seen those ads for THE THUNDER SHIRT?????

Well let me tell you they do work!!!!!! Not only for my fur kids, but I have friends
all over the country that have tried them on different breeds and various size dogs.

Not only that, my vet is now using one on one of his dogs that has a very hard time
with thunder (we do not get many rain storms in the desert) and fireworks (seems
to go on ALL the time).

Check them out. Do a google for the on line site to read about them and/or order
on line or by phone.

They really do work.

J M H O and my many friends who use them, some of whom are breeders, lol

Love and hugs,

ps: LMN worrying about your fur kids and fireworks is NOT being co dependent.
This is the worst time of year for dogs getting lost, they run out of fear.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LoveMeNot View Post
I am so co-dependent that I completely stress about how nervous and upset my dogs become when there is fireworks. I usually have to sedate one or two of them.

I hate fire works now!!
I used to stress about our dog because I worked night shift and AH was becoming more angry and abusive to the dog. So I would be stressed that he was going to throw him out in the cold all night. I would ask one of the kids to please make sure the dog was in their room at bedtime. I don't think it is wrong to care about a fur baby
Old 07-04-2012, 09:48 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Originally Posted by FindingErica View Post
I used to stress about our dog because I worked night shift and AH was becoming more angry and abusive to the dog. So I would be stressed that he was going to throw him out in the cold all night. I would ask one of the kids to please make sure the dog was in their room at bedtime. I don't think it is wrong to care about a fur baby
OMG, I am really NOT liking him. Now he is out in the cold, so to speak....What goes arounds......
Old 07-04-2012, 09:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LoveMeNot View Post
OMG, I am really NOT liking him. Now he is out in the cold, so to speak....What goes arounds......
Yes the dog was always afraid of him. Guess the dog knew something I didn't. The dog learned to hide in a corner the second he heard AH come home.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thunder shirt? I'm googling(is that a word?) now. I am all over that. Tried benadryl tonight but it didn't work.

Being codie on my dog is better than being codie on an A. At least our fur babies love our love and attention. Sounds healthy to me!
Old 07-05-2012, 01:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Thank you Laurie for the info. I had never even heard of them. Thank you again for sharing.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:36 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I wanted to post a pic of my dog cowering behind my toilet during the fireworks the other night, but I guess I can't unless its online already.
After someone suggested the thundershirt to me, I tried wrapping her up really tight in a blanket and she stopped yowling and hard panting, so I'm thinking it might work.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:14 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sevenofnine View Post
After someone suggested the thundershirt to me, I tried wrapping her up really tight in a blanket and she stopped yowling and hard panting.
Maybe I need to do that to myself when I start panicking/obsessing about my son.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:25 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

I could always give you a long tight hug??

:ghug3
Old 07-05-2012, 06:41 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks, LMN! That's why SR is so important to me--all the hugs, generosity, insight, gentleness, tough love, vulnerability, information, and humor. For me, it's an online lifeline to sanity.