Notices

feel let down by the alcohol services

Old 07-04-2012, 01:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

feel let down by the alcohol services

Hi everyone, as many of youse will know im waiting to go to rehab. i start seeing the alcohol services 3 weeks ago, each time begging them to not prolong getting me the help but each time i was told they cant rush it. last week i was begging again and she said the usual stuff, she cant rush it then she made an appointment for the week later and i was in bits with this. she told me once they had assessed me properly i would then have to see a doctor who would give the go ahead for detox so i asked why the doctor wasnt available sooner and she said he wouldnt be available until 12th July which disheartened me even more.(during this time im having to carry on drinking and its friggin torture). anyway the appointment i had this week, had to be cancelled as i was dealing with the person that deals with just detox, so she had to refer me to the person that does the rehab as i have decided rehab is the best option for me(they work in the same office so im sure its not hard passing 1 file onto someone else), so when i hadnt had a call on monday for a new appointment i phoned up and was told they would get her to call me that day. i never got the call then today i got a letter from them saying due to annual leave my next appointment wont be til 23rd July, im sorry but i feel this is really taking the ****, its 3 weeks away. i broke down as i cant bear having to drink everynight for 3 weeks and go through the horrifying feelings iv been having when sober. when i got the letter i phoned them straight up and told the receptionist i couldnt handle another day never mind 3 weeks and she said she would get the person dealing with me to phone me asap and iv never got a call. Luckily i had an appointment with the doctor that referred me to the alcohol services and he could see i was distressed and he agreed 3 weeks was too long so he prescribved me detox medication. he said he doesnt normally do it and would never give it to me if i drank allday everyday but was ok giving me it as i only drink on a night and he seen the distress i was in. so im starting my detox tomorrow with the help of my doctor and not the help of the alcohol team who im guessing are there to take the burden off the doctors yet im having to get the help from the doctors which has disgusted me. its my last drink tonight and im am starting a sober life from tomorrow. im so furious at the alcohol team for doing this, they are taking a 3 week break, probablys relaxing and doing nothing and leaving me and others to suffer and theres no one standing in for them whilst they have this break. im sooo mad. what makes it worse is they know i suffer terribly with anxiety allday everyday, they know i have 2 young children who i cant look after as well as i should, and the know the amount of debt im in through drink and they still having me drink for another 3 weeks then god knows how longer once they get back from their break. sorry for spouting off but no wonder theres so many people out there with drink problems.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have to say I'm incredibly impressed by your tenacity in dealing with this Sharp. You have done incredibly well under difficult circumstances to get the help you need. I'm glad you're on a quicker route to sobriety now If I was you I'd write a stern letter to the alcohol agency that has cocked up your rehab x
Old 07-04-2012, 01:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Isn't there someplace else you can go for treatment? Even if it's in another city? I would be upset too if I were you. These people do not seem to be taking your sobriety seriously. I would be checking out other facilities.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you saw the dr and can move forward now, Sharp.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Why don't you go to AA ?

All the best.

Bob R
Old 07-04-2012, 01:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

im in the uk and cant afford it privately i have to go through the NHS so they are making me jump through hoops, i understand they will have procedures to follow as they will not want to give government money to people that may relapse but im no backstreet bum that is only going to these meetings to carry on being entitled to dole money, im a mother of 2 young children aged 2 and 9, i want a job badly but i cant through my state and my partner in is a trainee accountant and im in some sense ruining his chances as i keep getting us deeper and deeper into debt and hes unable to revise or take exams cos hes always got loads of stuff to do when he gets home as i cant stand up for 5 minutes without feeling like im gona pass out or throw up so the house is a tip. i am aware i inflicted this on myself but its thruogh traumas in my life so im desperate for rehab to help me solve my issues behind my drinking and get me out of mymindset that i need drink for every scenario in my life.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
AA member

There is no waiting list for AA.

It is free and it works.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by heath480 View Post
there is no waiting list for aa.

It is free and it works.
+ 1
Old 07-04-2012, 02:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Originally Posted by heath480 View Post
There is no waiting list for AA.

It is free and it works.
Prayers sent your way.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

i can go to AA but im physically ill that i cant cross my doors at the moment, i always feel like im going to pass out, throw up or have a panic attack and im constantly in a little world of my own where i dont focus on anything going on around me so im secluded to my house. im really not making excuses and i do intend on going once im a bit better but at the minute i can barely stand for 5 minutes without needing to sit down and i suffer from panic attacks in public, im 27 yet i walk like a 60 year old with arthiritis i actually believe that once im sober im not going to let the issue lie and im going to be making my point about alcohol for years to come.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

I feel for you, I hated going thru detox. For me it always took a good 3-4 days before I could walk. First 24 hours I spend vomiting, the next just so tired and cant stay out of the bathroom, and the third day start to feel a bit better even take down soup ect. I hopefully sleep, because every time I would have insomnia and cant sleep for about 72 hours.

You can do it and never have to go thru it again.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sharp75 View Post
i can go to AA but im physically ill that i cant cross my doors at the moment, i always feel like im going to pass out, throw up or have a panic attack and im constantly in a little world of my own where i dont focus on anything going on around me so im secluded to my house. im really not making excuses and i do intend on going once im a bit better but at the minute i can barely stand for 5 minutes without needing to sit down and i suffer from panic attacks in public, im 27 yet i walk like a 60 year old with arthiritis i actually believe that once im sober im not going to let the issue lie and im going to be making my point about alcohol for years to come.
You sound just like me before I went to my first meeting.

AA should be listed in your telephone directory. Call their number and ask if you can talk to a local member. I believe your conversation will set your mind at ease and open a whole new world up for you.... just 1 call.... just try it.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 07-04-2012, 02:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Ey yi yi! AA may be an option for you at some point, Sharp, but as we often say here, it is important to be under a Dr's care as there are significant health aspects of detox that no AA meeting could ever be expected to deal with.

You are receiving professional medical advice now, follow that to the letter. If a closer relationship with your Creator is indicated for your sobriety, you will follow your heart on that one when the time comes.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

God bless you for hanging in there sharp...What a nightmare...Just want to say follow the doctor's orders and I'm praying things work out for you. See if you can get to some meetings when you are up to it....Like as was said...Call someone and ask if someone can accompany you if needed. Take care of yourself sharp...I'm glad you are here.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
Ey yi yi! AA may be an option for you at some point, Sharp, but as we often say here, it is important to be under a Dr's care as there are significant health aspects of detox that no AA meeting could ever be expected to deal with.

You are receiving professional medical advice now, follow that to the letter. If a closer relationship with your Creator is indicated for your sobriety, you will follow your heart on that one when the time comes.
Got nothing to do with a creator, just getting her with sober folks who have been where she is.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 07-04-2012, 02:57 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post
Got nothing to do with a creator, just getting her with sober folks who have been where she is.

All the best.

Bob R
Bob, she needs detox. She is sick. It seems that may be her first priority. Not that AA doesn't have a place in her sobriety at some point. . .
Old 07-04-2012, 03:07 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Take it easy on yourself Sharp. Have you got someone to look after you while your detoxing, or just someone who can check up on you? You will probably need lots of rest so don't push yourself too much x When I first stopped I needed lots of rest and needed all my energy to try and keep my emotions in check! Make sure you have some chocolate in x
Old 07-04-2012, 03:12 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

thanks everyone. i was speaking to a lady from AA who told me she would never have managed without AA and theres people from all walks of life that go ie teachers, lawyers, painters and decorators and she said they always offer help in any area of your life if you need it, for exampole she had her daughter took off her and she met a lawyer at AA that helped get her daughter back so she said its not just about alcohol they help you in other ways.she told me she would phone me back with shedules of meetings and she never did but thing is when i was talking to her she told me she had a sister visiting from another country and it might be the last time she sees her sister as they are in their 70's so i didnt wanna go burdening her so i think i will phone AA to speak to someone else.im so upset though that my doctor has had to interven because the alcohol services arent helping me properly. i keep getting told they will call me and they never do. main reason why my doc has give the meds is becasue he seen the distress i was in an saw i couldnt stand another 3 weeks like this and also i told him i culdnt afford to buy any drink whereas its dangerous for me not to drink so i feel disgusted that iv had to speak to my doctor about this because the alcohol services never bothered to call me back. i even had to result in trying to get a crisis loan to be able to get drink because the alcohol services where making me carry on for 3 more weeks. sorry but im really upset and mad
Old 07-04-2012, 03:21 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Things will get better sharp...Never give up hope....You have good friends here that care about you too. You'll be alright.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:21 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

im gonna be going to my mams while i detox, i think i will be writing a stern letter as i googled about alcoholics and there was a supposed government plan to get people off benfits and send them to rehab whereas im not on benefits and i have been beggin for help and it has took my doctor to help me. whats the point in wasting money on the alcohol service if a doctor has to intervene