Notices

First Challenge Accepted & Beat

Old 07-03-2012, 07:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First Challenge Accepted & Beat

Tonight I went out to one of my local haunts that also serves awesome mexican food for super cheap (like $3.50 for a ton of food). My friends wanted to have dinner so I went being very aware of my drinking. I sipped on free cokes (free thanks to my bartender who is also my friend) and watched my friends took shot after shot (I really only miss the shots) and stayed strong. They decided to keep bar hopping and I came home keeping my vow to myself. I feel great. YAY!
Old 07-03-2012, 07:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good job...I wouldn't make a habit of it...But good job none the less!
Old 07-03-2012, 07:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

YEA! For taking care of yourself and not drinking!
Old 07-03-2012, 07:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Right On! Way to Go! Doesn't it feel awesome to keep your word to yourself? Keep up the good work and you will do great at sobriety!
Old 07-03-2012, 07:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChasingJme03 View Post
Tonight I went out to one of my local haunts that also serves awesome mexican food for super cheap (like $3.50 for a ton of food). My friends wanted to have dinner so I went being very aware of my drinking. I sipped on free cokes (free thanks to my bartender who is also my friend) and watched my friends took shot after shot (I really only miss the shots) and stayed strong. They decided to keep bar hopping and I came home keeping my vow to myself. I feel great. YAY!
That's awesome. I think I almost do better challenging myself in the same ways. Last week I had a similar thing happen. I was a Mexican restaurant and all of my friends went up to the bar for a free shot that the place offers at 8 pm on Tuesdays. I sat it out. What was really awesome was, when I went to pay for my food the 20-something server asked me if I had the free shot as well and I said "No I decided to stop drinking." Him and the girl taking my payment both Congratulated me and told me that was great. The server said that he has never drank even though he's around it all day. It was just nice to have someone recognize that you're doing something good for yourself when everyone around you doesn't understand why you're stopping. Because binge drinking and partying constantly doesn't mean you're an alcoholic right? I think they are wrong and finally admitted that to myself. Congratulations on beating that challenge. I am going to a pool party tomorrow that will have a keg and I will not touch a drop of beer. I wonder if some think it's a bad idea to place yourself around the very things that have ruined your life, but I think if I can change even being around these things, it makes me even stronger. I can still have fun without drinking and so can you, we prove that.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Also I'm 24 and female. I'm sure we can relate on a lot of things. If you want to talk just let me know. I'm new to all of this. I just accepted the fact that blackout drinking just a couple of times a month is still a form of alcoholism and is not normal.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I agree. I feel like I am young and while I know it is REALLY risky placing myself in situations like that... if I lock myself up in my room ALL the time then the risk is that I drink more. I would rather drink alone anyways. When I put myself in those situations for an hour or two at a time I think I feel WAY more motivated. We are having a BBQ at my house tomorrow with a ton of beer and while I dont really miss the beer that bad, since I did so well today it just assures me more that tomorrow shouldnt be a problem. I also just had a conversation with my roommate about my choice to quit drinking and she offered to go to an AA meeting with me my first time. What a great day.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks Soul. Friend Request Sent.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChasingJme03 View Post
Thanks Soul. Friend Request Sent.
No problem.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Kind of off-topic, but I love the quote in your signature, Chasing.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks I want!

I cropped a bit from a quote I love that helps me stay strong. Had to crop to fit character settings. Here is the full quote:

"I drank for happiness and became unhappy. I drank for joy and became miserable. I drank for sociability and became argumentative. I drank for sophistication and became obnoxious. I drank for friendship and made enemies. I drank for sleep and woke up tired. I drank for strength and felt weak. I drank for relaxation and got the shakes. I drank for courage and became afraid. I drank for confidence and became doubtful. I drank to make conversation easier and slurred my speech. I drank to feel heavenly and ended up feeling like hell."
- Author Unknown
Old 07-04-2012, 04:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

This is great! good for you!
Old 07-04-2012, 05:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

That's great! All of those little successes sure add up over time, making your motivation and resolve stronger and stronger.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:27 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Well done, ChasingJ, you must feel so proud of yourself. While I hear that we need to be very mindful going into a situation like that, I feel badly for the folks who have decided that they can never be around alcohol without drinking it. Just remember, and take a minute before the party starts to ponder, that you no longer drink, you don't drink, you cannot drink, and you will not drink in any situation. Nope. Any glimmer of an idea to the contrary is not really you, it is that addiction talking, and you are in charge.

Congratulations to you.