Notices

Day 1

Old 07-03-2012, 01:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1

Hi,
Alcohol has been a thorn in my side since I was 19. I'm now a 31 year old married mother of two boys. I have such a hard time accepting that I'm an alcoholic. On paper, I certainly look like one: two DUIs, many, many blackouts, drinking alone, drinking while pregnant/breastfeeding, hiding bottles, numerous bad experiences directly related to alcohol. But, on the outside, I present an image of health. I'm earning a master's degree, take good care of my husband and kids, physically fit. Although I don't want another DUI, there is a part of me that thinks if it happens, I'll be sent away for 30 days, which will force me to stop, because even though I go to meetings and absolutely relate to others, I just cannot put together any time. I went to rehab in my early 20s and it didnt work then, but it had not progressed to the level it is today. I want to have acceptance once and for all because I think that is part of my problem. I cannot stop drinking once I start and it's been this way since I was 13. I love my children more than anything. I want to be sober so bad, and would appreciate any advice.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Megnnj...You're in a great place for support...Glad you found us. As far as meetings go..They are great...But the program of recovery is the 12 steps...Have you ever gotten a sponsor...To guide you through them? That's where long term sobriety happens in AA.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Originally Posted by Megnnj View Post
I cannot stop drinking once I start and it's been this way since I was 13. I love my children more than anything.
Megnnj, welcome to SR, this is a great step forward for you and anyone else looking for the answers to their drinking and the problems it causes. There are many aids around, so please take the time to read a bunch of stuff here. Some prefer a spiritual renewal and a closer relationship with God, while others can do it with a stern lecture from their Dr or a realization that taking even one more drink will result in consequences so dire to be beyond measure.

I think you may have found all you need already, Megnnj, but you might not realize it. Your answers may be right there in your post. Are you ready to make a plan about continuing to drink?
Old 07-03-2012, 01:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Might be time to give AA a try.

Wishing you the best in your quest for sobriety and peace.

Bob R
Old 07-03-2012, 01:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Welcome to the forums. I'm a 31 year old married womman (no kids) and i'd been drinking for about 10 years. I went to rehab twice and was stuck relapsing over and over again. It wasn't until i started going to AA daily that i was been (and have continued to be) able to string together any long term sobriety. AA gave me a place to be among people in various stages of recovery which has been great. Working the steps and getting a sponsor has helped a lot too. I've slacked off on the steps recently and am between sponsors but being in AA, having these forums and going to meeting daily in the beginning really gave me what i needed to jump start my sobriety and keep me going.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!

Listen to some AA recordings on xa-speakers.org, then maybe read the book Alcoholics Anonymous on silkworth.net.

Glad you are here!
Old 07-03-2012, 01:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome, you have come to a great place for support and to be with others who understand where you are coming from. there are several programs available as other have mentioned from AA to counseling etc. Research them out and see which one will work best for you. Keep posting to let us know which program you choose and how it is working for you.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Megnnj

You'll find a lot of support here and a lot of different recovery methods
Here's some links to some of the main players:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

I also recommend you visit the Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit from a non 12 step approach.

SR helped me turn my life around - I know we can help you too

D