Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Using phone directory for outreach -text messaging instead of calling

Notices

Old 07-02-2012, 08:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So I'm in early recovery right now and I'm in a fragile place where I just don't feel comfortable calling people on the directories so I texted someone around my age from a meeting on the list...they were friendly with me before but this time around when I told them I was in a weird place and asked for guidance they told me they refused to respond because it's inappropriate to do outreach via text message...is this true? What are everyone's thoughts on this? As I'm new I don't know how things like this are supposed to work so I'm trying to get some better insight.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I text my sponsor all the time!
Old 07-02-2012, 08:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Akinrecovery

I'm not in AA or any other recovery group so I'm not sure I can speak with authority...

but my thoughts?

texting is pretty limiting in so far as what you can get across...& recovery can be pretty complex...

besides face to face I think there are better ways to connect with people than texting - forums like this for example

good to have you with us

D
Old 07-02-2012, 08:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have 52 days. My sponsor insists on one call per day. Text messages are ok too.... but there must be one call...

The important thing is not to let yourself be put off by the response of the person you texted. Your recovery is important... don't let it get you derailed. the person could have respond more gently. Maybe this means you should reach out to someone else... like you just did on line. send me a note anytime.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Text messaging can be misinterpretted pretty easily. The inability to hear the conversation and the inflection in voices can be a real hurdle - even over something super simple. Recovery awareness is major and can make the difference between being surefooted and a misstep. Exercise your vocal chords for the main course - your continued, successful recovery Your thumbs, and the people who care about you, will thank you. Keep up the great work!
Old 07-03-2012, 05:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My sponsor wanted to see my eyes and hear my voice...I had nothing to hide. Makes sense to me...I had to go to whatever lengths needed to make this work.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

He's trying to get you to step out of the hole you are in .. are you going to call or stay in the hole?

I know how you feel, I've been there. Give the person a call, if it doesn't work out you can always hang up.

You can do it. All the best.

Bob R
Old 07-03-2012, 05:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

I prefer phone calls over texting for the same reasons, plus there's so much more to talking with a person than with reading words!

Faith is walking through our fears. We have to put true effort into our recovery.

Have some faith and call someone and have a pleasant talk. You'll feel so much better!
Old 07-03-2012, 07:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The first few times I talked to my sponsor, it was phone calls. We do use text for some things, but the face to face and phone calls are very important. She can see me/hear my voice, and know what I am really feeling. I think that maybe he is trying to help you get out of that zone of loneliness and hiding that we alcoholics often put ourselves in. It's scary and hard to open up to someone. Damn hard. But in the end, it is so worth it.