Notices

AA and not having a God.......

Old 07-01-2012, 11:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AA and not having a God.......

I have been attending AA for almost 3 months and have stayed sober. It's the only thing that has worked for me for more than 10 years. I have found a sponsor and I'm ready to take my steps - but what about the God thing?? I don't believe in any god (I am not keen on religion at all and the destruction it causes)

Now my sponsor said that's ok, I don't have to have god as my 'higher power' but yesterday she said it 'would help.'

Are any of my SR friends members of the AA fellowship whom have managed to work the programme without using God as your higher power? And do any of you have any advice for me?

Thanks everyone
Old 07-01-2012, 11:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I define "spirituality" as being one of many (as opposed to the isolated, lonely, lone wolf I was during the last few years of my drinking career - I felt I didn't fit in anywhere)

To become "one of many", I had to look to "Good Orderly Direction" and the good people in AA.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Epskie,
Religion leaves me cold all the bad things done in the name of religion the patriachal hierarchies and so on.
The HP will find you, that's what happened to me. I was willing to surrender, I wanted to stop the madness.
AA got and kept me sober and that's the main thing. I advise you not to think to much about it and just go with it.
Three months is a great achievement.
love
CaiHong
Old 07-02-2012, 12:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Contestant

How about the Higgs Boson as the higher power? Scientists seem close to finding it!* I'm not a religious person either; I wish there were more secular options for help. Would be nice to be in a group where religion weren't the chief mechanism for change.

* Note: I'm also not a physicist.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wish there were more secular options for help. Would be nice to be in a group where religion weren't the chief mechanism for change.
There are many avowedly secular recovery groups, such as SMART, LifeRing, Rational Recovery et. al.

For anybody interested, I recommend you also visit the Secular Connections forum here if you think you may benefit from a non 12 step approach

For those interested in a secular approach to AA we have a Secular 12 step forum as well

D
Old 07-02-2012, 01:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm a believer in a higher power, but I don't believe too much of whats in the bible or any other religious text. One of my best buddies in AA is an avowed atheist. We've never really discussed religion just been there for each other if we're struggling.

There are atheist/agnostic AA groups out there, google them up.

I've wanted for a long time to start an AA group without the lords prayer, which is decidely christian in nature, but not having this will not keep me from being in AA and the benefits I get from AA.

Good luck, stay sober and keep posting.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Try this epskie...You have stayed sober for three months in AA...The only thing that has worked for you in 10 years...Whatever that is...That is working this time...Use that as your Higher Power...It doesn't have to be anything...You don't have to call it anything...Just ask it to keep you away from a drink today...And thank it at night when it does...And work the steps.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Religion doesn't cause destruction. People do.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I choose to not describe my higer power , why would i want to "look a gift horse in the mouth" ? being humble before it , for the gift of sobriety it gave me , then trying to live a life of merrit is whats important i believe .

Trying to describe it or write about it strikes me as an extreem vanity or self righteousness on the part of the writer .
Old 07-02-2012, 04:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The religion and higher power is what put me off AA.

I do not believe in any religion or in a higher power. I just believe that you treat others as you would wish to be treated, and that at some time we all need each others help.

What matters is what you believe, and what you are happy with. If AA works for you go with it, if it is not then look at some of the alternatives. Your GP may be able to recommend some other support groups, or councelling.

My sister stopped over 12 months back, and even though she is christaian she did not use AA, but had councelling.

There are other people willing to help, just be prepared to ask, even if it means learning to eat humble pie. That is a lesson everyone in the UK (and probably outside of it) could do with learning. Its one of the first things I had to learn when I realised my drinking/lifestyle was causing a problem.

Workout what you happy and/or comfortable with and go with that. The less comfortable you are with something the less likely you are to stay with it.

Cov.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I love this post by a member of SR...

Originally Posted by mfanch
I've tried it all.

The two that worked for me were RR and AA. RR worked for me, but it didn't change my personality. I wasn't happy or free. I was clean, though. For years. It does what it says it will do!

Enter AA. I went I wanted to find like-minded people who understood me. I decided I would try to entire program (my dad has 33 years sober and is so freaking happy that it was pissing me off, but I wanted that, too). However, I am an atheist, so was pretty convinced that it wouldn't work. In fact I was like "I will SHOW you that it doesn't work. Ima gonna give this thing 110% and show you....." Well, today I am more than just clean. I am happy, joyous and free. I don't need AVRT anymore as there is no more Voice. It's gone. The obsession has been lifted.

My higher power is: not me. That's it.

I have so much more than I ever thought possible now. Finite self was just that, finite. The universe is so much bigger than me. It's cool to just be a speck of dust in it rather than the center of it.

mf
Old 07-02-2012, 04:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

FANTASTIC thread epskie. I'm an evolutionist, attend AA/NA meetings on a regular basis, have no problems saying the lords prayer and the serenity prayer either. AA has help me overcome my hatred for the catholic church and old testament religions in general. I go mainly for the fellowship, to be with sober people.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I did AA the first time through and found it extremely helpful. I also am an avowed atheist and found the "Higher Power" to be quite disconcerting but then I wasn't really a 12 stepper either and never did anything much beyond recognizing my problem and seeking help. I found AA to be a wonderful brotherhood of like minded people who had similar experience and were willing to help and give you a hand. At that time I felt so low and ashamed and alone and the welcoming arms and minds was what I needed. In spite of my lack of participation in the higher power and the 12 steps I still received a great deal of help and helped others as well.

That was many years ago. I never went back to alcohol but the problem is that I found another way to get high so fell into the rabbit hole anyway. This works well too.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am an athiest who is an AA member. At first, this whole issue gave me huge problems. I struggled against it. People would tell me to use anything as a HP...a chair, my dog, etc. I finally decided that the group as a whole would be my higher power and instead of looking to some almighty being as my guide, I would instead look to the obviously happy, successful members of AA. I even say the Lord's Prayer now; not because I believe in the words but because I believe it helps to be part of a community or a fellowship, if you will.
I haven't really tried any secular organizations. There aren't any who meet in my area and I feel like I need face to face contact. Plus, for me, it's a safe place where I feel like I fit in and people understand where I'm coming from. So, for now, I'll keep coming.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:02 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Epskie,

I've been sober in AA for quite a few years. I started this little journey as a staunch atheist who thought the idea of a higher power was a crutch for weak-minded sheep. But, I had thoroughly experienced Step 1, and there was no choice but to attempt Step 2. The process of taking the Steps hooked me up with some power that has saved my butt and revolutionized my life.

If you read Chapter 4, you'll find that about 1/2 the original membership came to AA feeling like I did. I have good friends in the program who started from the same place I did, and they have all had the same experience.

AA is a spiritual program. There is no getting around that. I would not have been interested in such a thing if I could have found another way of staying sober. Step 2 will not require any biblical or Christian beliefs, but it will require you to be open minded about what spiritual concept really mean to you personally.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:02 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

That's awesome jennikate....I think having an open mind is a gift.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:14 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by epskie View Post
I have been attending AA for almost 3 months and have stayed sober. It's the only thing that has worked for me for more than 10 years. I have found a sponsor and I'm ready to take my steps - but what about the God thing?? I don't believe in any god (I am not keen on religion at all and the destruction it causes)

Now my sponsor said that's ok, I don't have to have god as my 'higher power' but yesterday she said it 'would help.'

Are any of my SR friends members of the AA fellowship whom have managed to work the programme without using God as your higher power? And do any of you have any advice for me?

Thanks everyone
AA isn't about religion and there is no destruction involved.
As you go along in AA you will become aware of this and a Higher Power will begin to take hold. Your Higher Power will be a positive loving entity that you will be glad you have... not a penalty you have to pay.

Have a little trust and keep going to your meetings with an open mind, as open as possible. That's all that's required.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 07-02-2012, 05:22 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on your 3 months sober!
Old 07-02-2012, 05:46 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...hours-day.html
Old 07-02-2012, 05:49 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Spiritual Learner

Congrats on 3 months thais good! Keep coming back today we are sober and free!!!

When I first came into the program I was completely prejudice against any religion and was disturbed also about steps 2-3, I stated that I was an athiest but my sponsor asked me why I was and I stated I hated God! He told me well you may hate this God but you have to believe in Him to hate Him, I understood so I realized I wasn't an athiest, an athiest don't hate they just don't believe. My sponsor told me I could use the group (A.A.), (G)ood (O)rderly (D)irection, Buddhism, Zen, whatever helped me stay sober as long as it wasn't me, I cannot keep me sober on my own willpower I NEEDED HELP! I had to smash in my head I cannot do this on my own power, remove me fron the equation.

A Higher Power will help in those times when you are by yourself and the urge to use is on and no-one is around ie.-call people and no one is answering, in the middle of work, forgot phone, not by a computer (all this reminds me of the old days no cell phones), you made your efforts to contact people but of no avail, who then is going to help, Yeah you guessed it your Higher Power, HP is always there we just haven't looked for Him/Her however you see it.

Today I went back to my religion but that is me, I realized that religion has human beings involved just like everything alse in life, God didn't kill, humans did but I don't get in debates-as to its worthless no-one wins anyway!

A Higher Power is like the Allstate Commercial with the hands (I hope you rermember that one) Higher Power will catch you before you fall if you ASK for HELP before picking up! Read the chapter to agnostic that helped putting the Higher Power to use!!!!

God Bless you on your journey!!!