Family week starts tomorrow; seeking advice

Old 07-01-2012, 02:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Family week starts tomorrow; seeking advice

Hello. I've been in awe of the strength of those of you who post and so I'm tapping into some of it for tomorrow.

Our 27-year old alcoholic son is being discharged from his treatment on the 4th of July. (May it truly be his "day of independence!") Tomorrow morning my husband and I begin 3 1/2 days of Family Week. I've been going to Al-Anon and logging on to Sober Recovery daily. I think I'm ready for tomorrow but I'm not sure. What should I expect? Will we meet with his counselor to plan "what next"? We had allowed him to move in with us a few months ago and then truly learned the depth of his addiction. He had not lived at home for over 6 years previous to that. He told us he had a problem and couldn't stay sober living where he was living. (If I had only known then what I know now but that's for another post.)

My biggest fear for tomorrow is that I will sense that my son is not fully committed to recovery and my husband will want him to return to our house and I won't.

Advice anyone? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

No real advice, but good wishes for you all. Be strong. Enabling never really makes an addict more "able". I hope your family recovery goes smoothly.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Welcome to the SR family!
Thank you for taking the time to introduce yourself. I hope you will continue to post as often as needed. We are here to support you.

I don't have info on what may happen next, but wanted to send you encouragement and support.

I think you are taking positive steps and believe you will be able to make healthy decisions as needed. Trust yourself and your HP during the process.