Notices

New here, looking for insight

Old 07-01-2012, 07:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here, looking for insight

Hello,

I am new to the site, After my brother hit rock bottom with his heroin addiction, I started drinking more and more, Every night I would sit and email anyone and everyone to try to get him help, I wait everyday for the phone call that he is gone, I finally was contacted by a well known recovery program very well known, but was unable to get my brother to commit, now about me, I have a whole family with addition, I started drinking young, have stopped and started a few times, Now after about 8 months i have been drinking almost every day. I feel pain in my organs, and am looking for somewhere to help keep me grounded on my recovery and goals.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR pasddwnprblm...I'm sorry about your brother...And you...If you are looking at stopping...It's a good idea to consult with a doctor about what you want to do...Detoxing can be dangerous...If not fatal. Once I cleaned up I got involved with AA and that solved my problem...Is that something you would consider?...This is a great site for online support....Be sure and stay close here....You can learn a lot here. Glad you found us.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry about your brother...I hope he finds recovery.
Also it took a lot of guts for you to reach out for help here, so welcome. :ghug3

Most people can't quit drinking (or more accurately, STAY quit) without some sort of help. For some, writing out a plan, spending lots of time on this forum and finding alternate activities to drinking - you gotta find something to replace your drinking with - is enough.

For others, groups like AA, SMART Recovery or some sort of hospital-based program works. I've tried a lot of ways to stay sober and am committed to AA now...it's not for everyone but meetings are free and new people are always VERY welcome.

Do you have a doctor you've confided in? I don't know how much you've been drinking but quitting cold-turkey can be very dangerous; detox can kill.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

:-D hi, welcome!