Notices

Was told something in my meeting about July, 4th

Old 07-01-2012, 05:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sobriety date 12/19/2011

Red face Was told something in my meeting about July, 4th

I was told that July 4th is the second most date that people relapse, with Christmas being the 1st.
July 4th is coming up and I am just wondering what all us newbies will be doing to prepare for it.

I am going to pray on July 3rd, to have the extra strength to stay sober for July 4th. I am going to go to 2 maybe 3 meetings on that day, at noon and 6. I am going to surround myself with all of my alcoholic friends that are in AA. If I can't, then I will go to my bf house that is in AA and hang with her and her husband.

I am sober today, and preparing to stay sober for tomorrow. I know this is a little bit in advance, but what I heard was a little scary for me. It is beautiful out, it's the summer, everyone is going to be having so much fun, and I am going to be sitting in a meeting, or worse sitting at home alone while my kids are out having a great time somewhere on the lake, with my ex-boyfriend that is still an addict.

What are other people going to do to prepare?
Old 07-01-2012, 06:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Anytime I'm concerned about an upcoming holiday, I go to extra meetings. So far it's worked everytime.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I plan to stay home with Mom and my doggie and have a nice BBQ in our backyard.. some neighbors may come by but thats about it. Then mom and I will spend the evening trying to calm my doggie down cause he gets crazy when the fireworks go off and shakes and vomits out of fear lol poor little guy. Anyway....just remember something Brooke... alcohol does NOT = FUN TIMES... just because people are laughing and carrying on while drinking does not mean that is the only way to have fun! You can have a great time and allot of laughs without the booze. I for one, am looking forward to seeing fireworks with clear eyes and a clear head...not a wobbly one...AND looking forward to waking in the morning without that dreaded hangover!!!! stay strong and you can have a great time too!!!
Old 07-01-2012, 06:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well, it is our nation's celebration of independence. Perhaps I should be celebrating my independence from alcohol. :-)
Old 07-01-2012, 06:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Spending the day with friends who don't drink! Their parents are coming up from Texas and want to do touristy things around here, so that will be "good clean fun." LOL.

In all my years of drinking, I've never been a "drink because it's a holiday and everyone else does it" type person. I'm contrary, so if anything I've been more likely to stay sober, offer to be designated driver, that sort of thing. Just so I could feel superior for a day.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Spiritual Learner

Surrounding yourself with sober people, praying, and going to extra meetings is a good plan! I hear that too but for me and for me only it was just another reason to drink, I drank/drugged every single day.

Definitely have a plan set up, stay as close to your 12 step group/fellowship as possible, pray- sounds to me you are gearing up for this holiday!!!

It is a blessing to be sober and to be enjoying this holiday alcohol free and to remember what we did the next day!!! God bless and celebrate your freedom too!!!
Old 07-01-2012, 08:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

YIKES- in my thread the other day I mentioned I had decided I was going to drink again...well, I also mentioned that to my friend. Her and her kids are coming over on the 4th and she said how that would be a perfect time to break my abstinance streak.

I want to keep my sober streak going I think...Last 4th of July was so awful...I want to replace it with a possitive sober one.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm planning to spend the day with sober friends. We're heading to a local beach and I know that'll relieve me of any potential urges I have to drink.

Having fun in sobriety is a big part of my recovery.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Its just another day...I work, which keeps me busy! I have noticed how many days we invent to drink. I go to baseball games and notice how many people spend $$ on beer- I used to. Now it seems so dumb to me-thank GOD! Everyone have a safe and sober holiday!!
Old 07-01-2012, 08:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by oh2exhale View Post
Its just another day...I work, which keeps me busy! I have noticed how many days we invent to drink. I go to baseball games and notice how many people spend $$ on beer- I used to. Now it seems so dumb to me-thank GOD! Everyone have a safe and sober holiday!!
I went to an outdoor concert last Wednesday (ZZ Top at Pine Knob, Clarkston MI, yeah) and they are pretty strict and savvy about checking for alcohol and such at the gate. But you can buy it there - amazing how many people were getting drunk on $9.00 cups of Budweiser!
Old 07-01-2012, 08:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

Originally Posted by Stevie1 View Post
I went to an outdoor concert last Wednesday (ZZ Top at Pine Knob, Clarkston MI, yeah) and they are pretty strict and savvy about checking for alcohol and such at the gate. But you can buy it there - amazing how many people were getting drunk on $9.00 cups of Budweiser!
Concerts were the one place I NEVER drank! I figured if I was spending $$ to see a band I was sure going to remember it!!!
Old 07-01-2012, 10:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

I will be surrounded with my AA friends
Old 07-01-2012, 02:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am so happy you are setting your plan! Good for you!

My bf is working. So, my son and I are just going to hang in the back yard. The neighbors always have summer parties so we will borrow their music lol!
We are really unable to partake in our american holidays traditionally due to my son's autism. So we make our own!!! Me being sober, is a major part of it! Probably order pizza (his favorite food).
Old 07-01-2012, 02:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Down here on the major holidays we have alcathons - all day AA meetings, or at least one every other hour. Also sober BBQs where everyone brings a dish or 2. It takes a bit of organizational skill but it is a ton of fun, and it is great to be sober.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

she said how that would be a perfect time to break my abstinance streak.
That makes me sad to read A.
I hope you're making plans to cut her off at the pass.

For anyone worried about July 4 remember there'll be a lot of support around here

D
Old 07-01-2012, 08:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I'll be home most of the day chllaxing. Might hit-up an open AA meeting just to be there to show support for the cause. Then its off to the Seabee Naval Base with my BFF, her X and her AA sponsor to see the Oxnard Channel Islands Harbor Fireworks Show. At the base one gets a front row seat without cramming in with the massive crowd of locals that attend the event.

Everything will go smooth on the 4th if I make it so.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:44 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
That makes me sad to read A.
I hope you're making plans to cut her off at the pass.

For anyone worried about July 4 remember there'll be a lot of support around here

D
I've been hanging tight to SR since my cravings to drink again. No need to be sad Dee...instead of beer I will eat more cookies and chips

Again- last year's 4th was so extreme it still haunts me...I can't do it again.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:22 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Whew, I'm having difficulty just thinking about it. I'm going to ask for prayers, and pray a little more myself. My cousin will be helping me, I've shared with her my alcohol problem, and she supports me 100%. I will focus on being a good Mommy to my son and know that he deserves a sober Mom. And show everyone I don't need alcohol to be fun
Old 07-02-2012, 09:47 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm just planning to lie low for the day. I've never been big on the 4th of July anyway, due to the heat, humidity, and bat-sized mosquitos. I'll probably put a movie on, and when I hear my neighbors setting off fireworks I might wander outside with my family to see them.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:50 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

the 4th will be day 3 for me and it's usually when I start to feel better after a binge. I've already told drinking friends I won't be around that day. I'm going to meeting and spend day/night with my family at cookout. There will be no alcohol at their house. Looking forward to good food and fireworks at night.