Notices

new and anxious and feeling isolated

Old 06-30-2012, 09:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

new and anxious and feeling isolated

Today is my 2 week birthday. Although the worst of my physical symptoms seem to have gone away (was very jumpy, couldn't sit still, insomnia, couldn't stop eating sweets lol), I seem to have gotten moodier and I'm still not sleeping very well. I started going to AA meetings on Monday and have been going every single day, but I'm finding the whole experience really overwhelming. I know this is probably a temporary thing, but I'm feeling so isolated and I hate the fact that I've become so absent-minded and 'out of it' seemingly overnight. Right now the only thing I can do is knit and cook lol. I'm taking a sewing class in a few days and am really looking forward to it, but I feel so out of it eeek. Any suggestions? Any help/advice/support would be greatly appreciated!!!
Old 06-30-2012, 09:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by iamtoru View Post
Today is my 2 week birthday. Although the worst of my physical symptoms seem to have gone away (was very jumpy, couldn't sit still, insomnia, couldn't stop eating sweets lol), I seem to have gotten moodier and I'm still not sleeping very well. I started going to AA meetings on Monday and have been going every single day, but I'm finding the whole experience really overwhelming. I know this is probably a temporary thing, but I'm feeling so isolated and I hate the fact that I've become so absent-minded and 'out of it' seemingly overnight. Right now the only thing I can do is knit and cook lol. I'm taking a sewing class in a few days and am really looking forward to it, but I feel so out of it eeek. Any suggestions? Any help/advice/support would be greatly appreciated!!!
heyhey!! welcome!! what your experiencing is quite common. everything was overwhelming for me when i got into recovery through AA. i sometimes say i never had a drinking problem. i did it very good. but i had a serious problem with not drinking and facing reality. so when i got into recovery, everything was new to me. there were days it was quite overwhelmomg and i wasnt sure iffen i as don this life wihtout alcohol thing right. but thank God for them that went before me in AA to say," if ya aint drinkin it doesnt matter, yer doin thatright. the rest will fall into place as ya go along."
early recovery was quite a rolercoaster of emotions. some pretty high hills that were cool and some seriously low, frustrating valleys that werent that fun. but as time went on and i worked the steps and then started practicing the principles, them hills and valleys got closer together.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard, toru. You'll find a lot of support here.

Congratulations on two weeks, too. That's a huge milestone! I was definitely a bit on edge, a little fuzzy, all of that. And the sleeping was horrible! But it does get better. It's a huge adjustment, emotionally and physically. An acclimation period is perfectly natural. I guess my advice is to just give it time, and cut yourself some slack—you're doing great!
Old 06-30-2012, 09:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It gets better over time, but it's up and down some days. Melatonin helps me sleep, might help you, but some people hate it, so your mileage may vary. (my gf says she feels like she's falling when she uses it, so she doesn't use it--me, I feel like I'm falling . . asleep)

Congratulations on two weeks, that's really good
Old 06-30-2012, 09:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Iamtoru and welcome,

they still hold sewing classes nowadays? I used to love crafts and made clothes (badly)
So which part is overwhelming you in AA? I think it is important to talk about it. There is an AA forum on this website as well.
Everyone reacts differently I think when they get sober,my brain was foggy when I was drinking and I am really enjoying the clarity of a sober mind. I believe the longer your sobriety the clearer your thinking will become.
It is great getting those 2 weeks under your belt, signing up for a class that you will enjoy
Attending AA meetings.
Here you can talk about anything and everything I for one am interested in your sewing class.
Love
CaiHong
Old 06-30-2012, 10:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

thanks everyone

Really appreciate the encouragement! I will try melatonin, haven't taken that stuff in ages. And yes, they do still teach sewing! It's becoming fashionable again here (I live just outside SF).

Erm hardest part of AA for me is speaking up- still haven't shared yet. Someone tried to encourage me at today's meeting, but I just couldn't do it. Really not used to opening up to people, not even my friends. Having said that, I do really appreciate the shares. There are some really great people in AA and on this site. Thanks everyone!
Old 06-30-2012, 10:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
one second at a time

Hey iamtoru!
I felt the same when I started AA - isolated, uncomfortable, different. I realized I had to work at seeking people out & also going to different meetings. Some won't fit u & then some will feel like home. I started going early, staying late & striking up any conversations I could. I talked more about the weather those first few weeks!!!! And now, those stupid conversations have created truly good friends. It also gets easier as u get better - just keep going & things will change for the better. Good luck!