Notices

Real eye opener

Old 06-30-2012, 11:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Real eye opener

Last night I heard sirens and 2 cop cars, fire truck, and ambulance pulled up between my house and the house next door. A woman was on the gurney getting wheeled into the back of the ambulance. A few mins later I found out from the cop that this is the 3rd time this week that this has happened. The cop then told me she is only 38 and keeps trying to drink her self to death and her bf calls the cops to come get her so she can sober up in the hospital then do it all over again. The cop also said how she tried rehab but left early and now is getting so wasted that she is peeing her pants and not realizing it and cant even say a single word due to how drunk she has been every single day the past 2 weeks now. The neighbor has only been renting the house next door for about a month now and I have never talked to her and barely see her. I really hope she realizes one day that there are options and a sober life waiting for her if she wants it.

It was very eye opening to see all of that as I used to drink all day every day and would prob end up in a simular situation if it wasnt for my decision to get sober. Ive been sober for days 33 now and am so grateful to be free and not a slave to the bottle.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

She keeps that up she'll get her wish...That's tragic.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

That is the disease that we never can take it easy.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
getting there

Wow, that really is an eye-opener. Could have been me at some point in the past two weeks.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Bless her heart - she must be in so much pain. I guess we should all pause occasionally and pray for those still suffering. I hope that she gets the help she needs.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

When I first came into AA, I remember hearing about how we are dealing with life and death in this thing. I thought they were exaggerating. What a difference some sober time makes. Any of us could be that poor woman. So tragic. I will keep her in my prayers.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Poor woman...I hope she finds help.

A friend of mine almost died last year from liver ascites/toxicity and detox due to chronic alcoholism. He was three weeks in hospital and his family was told to expect the worst and hope for the best. And he's a well-off, white-collar, educated professional. Hardly anyone's stereotype of an end-stage alcoholic. It can indeed happen to any of us.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Prayers for your neighbour BF.

(congratulations on your 33 days too - I'm very glad to read that)
D
Old 06-30-2012, 09:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sobriety date 12/19/2011

I don't know how appropriate this is, but if it were me, I would go and talk to her and try and get her to go to a meeting. You might be the reason she moved there. God works in mysterious ways..........
Old 06-30-2012, 09:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing, Free. These kind of threads are a good reminder of life. That's hardcore. There's more than a few of us that have been there. I pray that your neighbor lives to see a sober day. It sounds like you've learned something from all this? Alcohol is deadly.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Soberbrooke I actually thought about that but she's not too friendly so not sure if it would be a good idea. If she ever was nice and started talking to me or said hi I then would bring something like that up.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

hmm...I have a problem with a cop providing information like that - feels like a privacy issue to me
Old 07-01-2012, 04:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Murray I totally agree. I wouldn't want some Cop telling people my business. I simply said wow I hope she's ok and then he told me about it. It is also in the sheriff blotter online that the public has access to, maybe he thought either way all is neighbors were gonna find out.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sobriety date 12/19/2011

When I was in my addiction, I didn't want to talk to anyone. I was so angry at the whole world. If I had a neighbor that wanted to help me, then I might have gotten better sooner than later.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:04 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Boozefree... since from what the cop told you, her boyfriend is the one that doesnt like her drinking and has been trying to help her sober up...perhaps a better approach would be, if you see HIM, talk to him instead? Let him know that you have been where is GF is and maybe give him the advice he can pass down to her? Just a thought... and congrats on your sobriety!!! it feels amazing doesnt it?
Old 07-01-2012, 06:11 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It just shows what drink can do to you.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:42 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

that's awful.

Congrats on your 33 days!