Notices

Thank post is not enough!

Old 06-30-2012, 03:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thank post is not enough!

Day 2 not drinking: Accomplished

Yesterday afternoon in a panic, fearing i was becomeing agoraphobic, i rushed to the store to get cigarettes knowing if I ran out I would probably loose my mind and not be able to leave my apartment. I drove quickly to the convience store. On my way I realized if I went to the package store there would be less people in line, less anxiety, and this would get me back home quicker. As soon as i walked in the door I did the usual, walked straight to the cooler to get some beer. I got home with my beer and cigarettes without a panic attack and told myself the beer is there just in case.

When I got home I was a bit more relaxed. I slept for a while, then I read and reread my first post and all the responses and thought what I would feel like tomorrow if I drink that beer. It helped. I ate my dinner read some more, went to bed and slept for a full 8 hrs.

This morning I got up made some coffee read some more and told myself I had to get out of this apartment and face the anxiety. As I was driving I felt the anxiety but kept telling myself how much worse this would be if had drank last night and thought of the encouraging words of people on this forum.

As soon as I got home I opened every one of those beers and poured them down the drain. Goodbye, I said, I've got things to do today.

With that said, thank post is not enough. I could hug each and every one of you who helped me get through yesterday and last night.

THANK YOU!!!!!
Old 06-30-2012, 03:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

So proud of you!!! Yes, you have things to do today, and beer is going to rob you of an excellent Saturday.

Anxiety is normal in the first few days. The great thing is, you just stare it down, realize it is your body recalibrating, and know that your reward will be less and less of it down the road.

The alcohol just puts this reward farther from your grasp. Don't let it do that. You have a life to lead!!

Again, admire your strength. Keep at it.
Old 06-30-2012, 04:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good for you for pouring that beer out....That makes me happy!....There is a real nice life out there without it!
Old 06-30-2012, 05:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

great job mits

D
Old 06-30-2012, 06:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Old 06-30-2012, 06:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good on you Mits
To get to the point of actually buying the beer and then pour it down the sink is fantastic.
Today I was in a situation that made me feel very anxious , I thought to myself,over a year ago you would have responded to this buy having a drink which would only make me more anxious.
it is so good that you can watch yourself and see when the anxiety comes and your response.
lots of love
CaiHong
Old 06-30-2012, 06:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaiHong View Post
Today I was in a situation that made me feel very anxious , I thought to myself,over a year ago you would have responded to this buy having a drink which would only make me more anxious.
CaiHong
Thats where drinking and anxiety doesnt end. I thank god (and everyone here) I finally broke through it. Not going to be easy but I'm gonna keep going.

Thanks, and congrats on getting as far as you have.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Change4good View Post
admire your strength. Keep at it.

Same to you!
Old 06-30-2012, 07:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Poured all those beers down the drain Mits? You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations. Well done.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Mits78,

You ROCK!
Old 06-30-2012, 07:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I needed a warm hug... thanks !!

Mits, are you going to AA? They will really help you there.

They will help you stay sober and address your "issues" and everything else that ails ya.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 06-30-2012, 08:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yay for you. So proud of you for being that strong determined person. You are definately on the right track. Keep up the good work. And enjoy Sobriety- It's GREAT!!!
Old 06-30-2012, 08:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post
IMits, are you going to AA?
Not yet, I need to address the anxiety first. I'm getting better but I cant seem to get to far from home before i start to panic. Everytime I try to go a little farther. It's only day 3. I'll take it easy and not beat myself up.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:14 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for the honesty, glad you are here!
Old 06-30-2012, 08:20 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Believe me, Mits, it only gets better. You should be proud of yourself. Remember the discomfort of a craving only lasts half an hour at the most but a hangover goes on for hours and days. A life time, really. Make sure to enjoy every moment that you can, no matter how brief. Rewire your brain to experience joy! You rock!
Old 06-30-2012, 08:21 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome...

Good to know you are making plans for lasting sobreity...
Yes! you too can win over alcohol.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:21 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mits78 View Post
Not yet, I need to address the anxiety first. I'm getting better but I cant seem to get to far from home before i start to panic. Everytime I try to go a little farther. It's only day 3. I'll take it easy and not beat myself up.
It was my experience that the anxiety was addressed by going to AA, not before it.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 06-30-2012, 08:25 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gaffo View Post
Believe me, Mits, it only gets better. You should be proud of yourself. Remember the discomfort of a craving only lasts half an hour at the most but a hangover goes on for hours and days. A life time, really. Make sure to enjoy every moment that you can, no matter how brief. Rewire your brain to experience joy!
WOW!! That was so powerful i'm gonna print it and put it on my refridgerator.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:48 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Day 2 - Wo0t wOoT way to do it Mits

Using your shear determination to poor that beer out is a power act! You are well on your way to a great life free from alcohol. Freedom is Fabulous!
Old 06-30-2012, 09:28 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Way to go Mits! Pouring those beers down the drain was a powerful statement of your strength to do this!