Notices

Hypoglycemic/Low Blood Sugar since quitting

Old 06-30-2012, 02:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hypoglycemic/Low Blood Sugar since quitting

Anyone else have trouble regulating blood sugar after quitting? Have symptoms like shakiness, unable to eat, slight confusion if you skip meals?

I know it is not withdrawal since I am well past that, and a call to the nurse's hotline suggests its low blood sugar.

It is just SOOO unsettling as it resembles everything I hear about withdrawal. Going in for another full check-up, and will have tests run after a fast.

Just looking for. . .something from you guys. Not quite sure what. I seem to be in a *meh*, unsettled mood this early Saturday morning. Trying to consume a protein shake as I can't really stomach food but know I need to eat. I skipped dinner by accident last night.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

When I first quit I went from eating absolutely nothing...My last month of drinking I couldn't stomach a peanut butter sandwich...It was a strict beer diet....To living without it. It took me a while to get into normal eating patterns....Now I eat like a horse.....A healthy horse....I think it's smart for you to check it out...You think about what we put our bodies and minds through for so long....It's amazing we recover at all.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks. I also think I drank too much green tea this morning. It is in fact caffeinated, and that doesn't bode well for an empty stomach.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You have to take it easy on the caffiene too...That will mess with your head as much as your stomach...It's all an evening out process Change....Getting some balance back in our lives...It comes with time.
Old 06-30-2012, 04:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

small meals through the day.

heal your damaged body well, it does even out.

see a doctor if you're concerned.
Old 06-30-2012, 04:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think you should an in house doctor 's opinion, just to be safe.
Old 06-30-2012, 04:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Elisabeth888 View Post
I think you should an in house doctor 's opinion, just to be safe.
That is my plan.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sounds like you have only stopped just recently. It takes time. I remember not getting a normal appetite for 2 weeks. Alcohol does such a good job of f@#$ing wirg the human digestive system that it also prevents many vitamins and minerals from being absorbed in the small intestines. For this reason many alcoholics suffer from malnutrition, even if they ate good healthly meals (Like Sapling I did not eat healthy towards the end).

As always see a Dr., and be completely honest about your drinking habits.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Change4good View Post
That is my plan.
Get the report, then you'll have your answer. Why spin on something that you don't know is even an issue?

All the best.

Bob R
Old 06-30-2012, 09:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Even before I got the results from my doctor, in early recovery, actually for the first year, I kept a jar of dry roasted peanuts, EVERYWHERE, lol in my desk at work, in my vehicle, at home, etc

They were good protein, much better than eating something with sugar. That along with 5 to 6 very small meals a day, helped a lot.

I am glad you have already decided to see your doctor. After he/she has the test results and talks with you, if in fact it is hypoglycemia then ask your Dr for a referral to a good diabetic dietician that can help you plan your meals and and eating schedule that will go well with your schedule.

Just a caution, if you do come up to be hypoglycemic and it goes on for a year or more, then watch yourself very carefully and keep an eye on your blood sugar. I wish I had known then what I know now.

Hypoglycemia is one side of the coin, diabetes is the other side of the coin and that coin can 'flip' any time your body wants it too, lol So please keep an eye on yourself.

This does get better, honest.

Welcome to recovery!!!!

Love and hugs,
Old 06-30-2012, 10:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I definitely get hypoglycemic on a regular basis and it seems worse since I quit drinking 7 weeks ago. The shakiness and confusion can get really scary for me and it sets off my anxiety. Keeping fruit around and not skipping meals helped me. Good luck! Also, how far along are you in your sobriety?
Old 06-30-2012, 11:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hypoglycemia's been an off and on issue for me since I was a kid. As others have said, good you're following it up with your dr. Small meals help, and so do nuts. I take them (almonds, pistachios, peanuts) everywhere, too (as another said). If you can't stomach much even dividing up your protein shake can help. My dr said no white flour, cut back on sugary veggies like carrots, corn, peas, and watch the caffeine. Personally, tea and coffee really do a number on my blood sugar if I'm not eating good protein with it. Everyone's different, though. Your dr should have some answers. Hope you feel better soon!
Old 06-30-2012, 11:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Actually, hypoglycemia can make people much more likely to develop alcoholism because the body loves the sugar rush from the alcohol and wants more. I wish I had known that. I have been hypoglycemic since my teen years. I didn't realize that drinking alcohol would make it so much worse, because I had always been able to manage it pretty well. Since stopping drinking, I can manage it well again. Talk to your dr, and there are lots of good books on the topic.