God' Will - Language of Letting Go

Old 06-29-2012, 05:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

God' Will - Language of Letting Go

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

God's Will

God's will most often happens in spite of us, not because of us.

We may try to second guess what God has in mind for us, looking, searching, hypervigilant to seek God's will as though it were a buried treasure, hidden beyond our reach. If we find it, we win the prize. But if we're not careful, we miss out.

That's not how it works.

We may believe that we have to walk on eggshells, saying, thinking, and feeling the right thing, while forcing ourselves somehow to be in the right place at the right time to find God's will. But that's not true.

God's will for us is not hidden like a buried treasure. We do not have to control or force it. We do not have to walk on eggshells in order to have it happen.

It is right there inside and around us. It is happening, right now. Sometimes, it is quiet and uneventful and includes the daily disciplines of responsibility and learning to take care of ourselves. Sometimes, it is healing us when we're in circumstances that trigger old grieving and unfinished business.

Sometimes, it is grand.

We do have a part. We have responsibilities, including caring for ourselves. But we do not have to control God's will for us. We are being taken care of. We are protected. And the Power caring for and protecting us loves us very much.

If it is a quiet day, trust the stillness. If it is a day of action, trust the activity. If it is time to wait, trust the pause. If it is time to receive that which we have been waiting for, trust that it will happen clearly and with power, and receive the gift in joy.

Today, I will trust that God's will is happening, as it needs to in my life. I will not make myself anxious and upset by searching vigorously for God's will, taking unnecessary actions to control the course of my destiny or wondering if God's will has passed me by and I have missed it.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©1990, Hazelden Foundation.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

If it is a quiet day, trust the stillness. If it is a day of action, trust the activity. If it is time to wait, trust the pause. If it is time to receive that which we have been waiting for, trust that it will happen clearly and with power, and receive the gift in joy.
A gift of recovery for me has been that I can trust God's will. When I don't know what to do, I can pray and trust God to lead me.

I have learned that even bad days bring important lessons that help me to grow.

I have learned that bad days don't last forever and like the rain brings the flowers, bad days make the good days so much better.

I have learned that life is a journey and my path may twist and turn but if I pay attention along the way, I can trust that good things lie ahead...just beyond the next turn.

I would not be in the good place I am in today if God had not led me through and out of the darkness where I lived for years, and where I shall never return again.

Today may you let yourself be led, may you take quiet time to pray and listen to God's answers, and may you know that slowly things do get better...they always do. It takes time,and faith and perseverence.

Hugs to all of you today.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for this beautiful message today Ann. What a great reminder that our HP is in charge. He always has been. What a comforting, strengthening thought!

I feel like I was hit over the head with gratitude this morning.

I left my humble but beautiful home early this morning to go for a leisurely walk with my two golden retrievers (my best buds).

I came home and watered my garden. The flowers are in full bloom and I always feel such peace and serenity surrounded by their beauty.

I went in and woke up my loving, funny, sweet son so he could get ready for summer camp. He's going to spend the weekend with a buddy he met at al ateen and he was humming and singing all morning as he got ready. I feel so blessed that we have both found such love and fellowship in the program.

I drove to my job which I love and I've been lucky enough to have for 21 years now. I love my boss and the people I work with.

My cup overflows!

I sing a prayer of gratitude to my HP today that he has lifted me up and surrounded me with so much love and beauty. I laugh to think that I actually felt abandoned by him a few years back. Ha! He never abandoned me. I was just too lost in my sickness and pain to know that he has always been with me...loving me, encouraging me, and giving me gentle nudges (and sometimes a real kick in the pants!) when I got stuck and needed to move forward.

I also say a prayer for all those still suffering..the addicts and alcoholics and the people who love them and suffer along side them. I hope that today they can see the beauty and blessings that surround them...if even for just a moment. I pray that they will come to know taht God loves them, that He is in charge, and that He will lead them where they need to go if they only just TRUST in him.

Hugs and peace ...
Mary
Old 06-29-2012, 06:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I feel like a stranger in this forum being an Atheist.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ann View Post

Today may you let yourself be led, may you take quiet time to pray and listen to God's answers, and may you know that slowly things do get better...they always do. It takes time,and faith and perseverence.

Hugs to all of you today.
I really needed to hear this today. Thank you
Old 06-29-2012, 01:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Rossy View Post
You aren't the only one, here, Rossy. There are a variety of beliefs, recovery methods and practices here.

But those who do believe in God shouldn't feel uncomfortable talking about it, either, or what works for them in their recovery.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Originally Posted by Rossy View Post
Sorry you feel that way Rossy, hope you find some threads more to your preference.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Today is a day for home-run posts! Gets me going again without as much stress and worry.

For a few minutes tonight, I was worrying: AS got disability check today. He is recovering from surgery. Will he risk health and safety to go blow the money? He got out and went hitch-hiking to get to his camper 2 nights ago. Suffered the next day, too.

These reminders are so helpful. I cannot control it. So instead, I choose to sit in the cool with hubs and watch old black and white movies on Netflix while eating take-out. Mmmmmm. Nice.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

thank you so much Ann, for posting this.
Old 06-30-2012, 04:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Originally Posted by washbe2 View Post
These reminders are so helpful. I cannot control it. So instead, I choose to sit in the cool with hubs and watch old black and white movies on Netflix while eating take-out. Mmmmmm. Nice.
We I declare Miss Washbe, I do believe you've got the hang of this.

Hugs and Hugs
Old 06-30-2012, 07:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Ha, Miss Ann, if only I could KEEP the hang of it! I seem to be a rather serious back-slider!
Old 06-30-2012, 11:02 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I know, for someone who fought so hard to learn to let go, you'd think I'd be a shoe-in at the "hanging on" part.

It all works somehow, hope you saved some ice cream for me.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:17 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for this post, Ann. Literally minutes before I read it, I was starting to feel some creeping anxiety because the day has been so quiet and uneventful. Younger boys are out of school, one listening to a book on tape, the other softly playing some jazz on the guitar. Hubby off on his favorite errands (browsing at Goodwill for bargains and then a 2-for-1 deal on sweet tea at the supermarket).

I think only the mother of an addict could feel anxious because things are sweet and still, but there you have it. And then I read the post and the part about if it's a quiet day, trusting the quiet. Was just right.

Thanks.
Old 06-30-2012, 11:27 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I have been where you are PrayingMama, if I wasn't spinning in circles handling existing problems, I was squirming in anxiety anticipating what may (or may not) lie ahead.

Someone once told me "worry doesn't change the outcome". I remembered that and think of it today.

And I no longer waste my todays living in regret of yesterday or fear of tomorrow. Today I am enjoying the summer, heading to a Canada Day BBQ tonight, and will sleep like a baby when I get home...God's got the rest covered so I can just have fun.

I love reading the shares here, seems I wasn't the only one who struggled before I surrendered my will.

Hugs
Old 06-30-2012, 11:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ann View Post
"worry doesn't change the outcome".
I'm getting that tattooed somewhere...
Old 06-30-2012, 11:59 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I heard a "disagreement" on that thought once. Made me chuckle.

"Worrying does help. Most of what I worry about never happens!"

I just love you guys (y'all) and don't know why I ever stay away for extended periods at times, unless it's the fact that I am ashamed of the way I act, backslide, and my sometimes relentless trying to fix and not just surrender.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:36 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Washbe no need to feel shame here, we've all done it, we've all lived it and we're all walking together here. We need you to hold your head up or we'll all go tumbling off the path, probably get grass stains on our new recovery duds, and worst of all...drop our ice cream cones.

I sure am glad you came back...I've been holding your seat a long time.