Notices

AA - Scaredddddd

Old 06-28-2012, 04:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AA - Scaredddddd

So I have been opening up to a few friends about actively seeking help and opening about my problem. No one knew because it was a secret. I think there were people that new I had too much every time I went out but not to the extreme that is has been. I found a place down the road that does AA for newcomers on Fridays. I am terrified but if I dont at least go once to see if I like it then I didnt really try to quit drinking, right?

Update on detoxing: Day 4: has SUCKED. I have never felt so antsy in my life. I want to crawl out of my skin cause I am so antsy but also so tired that I cant force myself to do anything. WORST COMBO EVER!!! I hope this antsying and cloudy headness goes away sometime soonish.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It takes a little time to undo what we've done to ourselves Chasing...That's normal...Try out the beginners meeting...I think you'll like it...Nobody is going to hurt you there.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Chasing,
Pesonally I think it is a good idea to go and it does help to acknowledge that you do have a drinking problem.
You should start feeling better soon but make that meeting it will help.

Love
caiHong
Old 06-28-2012, 04:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

ChasingJme, I think it is a good idea to go, it will help you get the idea that this drinking thing is almost over. It might be a good fit for you, and you aren't going to rule anything out without trying, are you?

I certainly got really antsy too around this time, and that is when I learned to 'follow my breath'. It is a type of meditation, and anyone can do it. It is like saying 'whoa there, easy, slow down'. Google the phrase follow my breath and see what you find.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think checking AA out is a great idea. Being scared is normal. Everyone is nervous for their first meeting. You will do great!
Old 06-28-2012, 05:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's definitely worth a go ChasingJme03

D
Old 06-28-2012, 05:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

I was terrified about my first AA meeting ... who are these people? Is this a cult? Are they going to throw Bibles at me? Will they judge me? Will everyone be staring at me? Am I different from them?

We're ALL scared of our first AA meeting. And the majority of us come away from the first meeting with a HUGE sense of relief. Folks will reach out to you. They will welcome you with open arms. When you're in an AA meeting, you're among people who understand you better than anyone else can .... they've done what you've done ... and WORSE. There is no judgment in AA .. our motto is tolerance and compassion. You will find it there.

GO. And keep going back. My meetings are my lifeline now.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
New beginnings are the best!

I went to one AA meeting for women and have never gone back. I didn't like the set up. It was awkward, robotic, and very few people were friendly. (But then again, are alcoholics supposed to be warm and inviting, and always hugging?) This is just my perspective. I didn't try any other groups.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're working on your recovery.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

just gotta get ya some courage. please do yourself a favor and hit a few different meetings, get the big book and read the 1st 164 pages, then decide iffen its for you. sobriety through AA has been an awesome journey!
Old 06-28-2012, 06:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

desertsong nailed it on that one. i was terrified. i think i cried, actually, on the drive over.
but now? i go every day.
i would suggest checking out several different meetings. each one is different, and trying a few will give you some options to decide where you feel most comfortable.
i actually didn't like the first meeting i went to, but i came back to it, and oddly enough it is now my homegroup.
nothing to lose
Old 06-28-2012, 06:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I don't know anyone who wasn't scared at their first meeting. sat in the parking lot for several minutes debating with myself and working up the courage to go in. I sat on my hands or kept them below the table so no one could see them shaking and it wasn't all from detoxing. I got a cup of coffee to fit in but couldn't drink it for the shaking. I was so scared but by the end of the meeting it was a great relief to have been a part of the fellowship of AA. The coin, the hugs, the support, the sharing...i can't describe it. It filled me up. I didn't realize how big the hole inside me was. Alcohol never filled it but going to that meeting did. It did something for me i can't quite describe. Not every meeting does that but many do and when it does i'm walking on cloud nine for a long time afterwards.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Every journey begins with a first step. Fear is natural. Call your local intergroup to see if someone can meet you there, talk to you, and walk you through the door.