Are they all liars??

Old 06-27-2012, 10:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Are they all liars??

Just a general question but I've been reading a lot of the other posts and based on my situation now, I'm starting to think all alcoholics are liars. Is this true? I know you can't really put them all in this category but it just seems like that is one thing they all have in common when it comes to them.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SW2012 View Post
Just a general question but I've been reading a lot of the other posts and based on my situation now, I'm starting to think all alcoholics are liars. Is this true? I know you can't really put them all in this category but it just seems like that is one thing they all have in common when it comes to them.
Based on my experience, yes.

Based on what I have read here, yes.

My AW would not only lie about drinking and pills she would lie about the dumbest things, stuff no one would care about. It was really weird.

Your friend,
Old 06-27-2012, 11:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

Drinking IS a lie. Not only do they lie to themselves, and lie to everyone else, they LIVE a lie.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

yep
Old 06-27-2012, 11:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Based on my experience, I would say yes. In my case, my ex lied about pretty much most things, even stuff unrelated to drugs. I don't know if it is the years spent lying to protect the addiction and it just bleeds over into their whole life? If it precedes the addiction and it has to do with other mental issues? Even when he had stretches of not using (I say 'not using' because there is a huge difference in white knuckling it and true recovery), I would catch him lying about such silly things as well as big things. Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Mine did, & even after he stopped drinking & started working a program lying was a habit he had to consciously work at changing. He had gotten so skilled at it & it had become such a regular "tool" in his "toolbox" that he resorted to it without even realizing it sometimes.

Prior to being an A, he was one of the most honest & straight-forward people I had ever met & this was one of the qualities I loved most about him. It was very painful to experience such a dramatic change.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by m1k3 View Post
Based on my experience, yes.

Based on what I have read here, yes.

My AW would not only lie about drinking and pills she would lie about the dumbest things, stuff no one would care about. It was really weird.

Your friend,
Took the words right out of my keyboard! My AW will lie about the strangest things. Last head scratcher was where her & her mother went to lunch. Like I would care which diner she went to! I've heard it said there is no "why" with alcoholics. It'll drive you batty if you give any space in your head. Mark me down as a yes vote for alcoholics lying.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

I believe it's difficult for some one with this disease to be honest with others when they aren't being honest with themselves ~

for our own welfare that is why it is wise to go by actions, not words or best intentions ~

Just my e, s, & h

PINK HUGS,
Rita
Old 06-27-2012, 11:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Let go and Let God!

Yes! I am a recovering addict/alcoholic. I lied about everything when I was using. It did become a habit and was/is very hard to break.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! I appreciate your honesty. It's sad to think that it looks like lying happens in most cases.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

IME, alcoholics lie when they're actively drinking, and all of their lies center around their drinking.

I think it depends on how long they've been active alcoholics though.

Then you have some people who are pathological liars who also happen to be addicts.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

What I finally figured out about my AXH was that it wasn't just random lies just for yucks.
It was more like... he lived in an alternate reality.

He is a person of incredibly high moral standards. He's extremely harshly judgmental of absentee fathers, drunks, people who don't walk their talk, hostility, lack of empathy and compassion, racism, and sexism.

Because his alcoholism causes him to repeatedly violate his own high moral standards, he has to create an alternate reality where his behavior has excuses and understandable explanations. Because the alternative would be recognizing that his alcoholism has turned him into everything he detests. And recognizing that would mean he would be forced to draw the conclusion that he needs to stop drinking.

And the addiction protects itself.
That's the insiduosness of this disease.
It protects itself.
So he writes a script for his life where his actions are acceptable because [insert lies, fairy tales, altered reality here]... because the alternative would be too painful to face.

It's not just lies to see if they can get away with it. It's much sadder than that. They actually believe that what they believe (and say) is the truth.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Mine has always had no problem lying. He says it's such a big part of his job that he doesn't think twice about it. I hear him lie to his customers(trying to cover up for mistakes his company made so I guess the whole management team backs him up on these), he lies to his boss, he lies to me about the stupidest stuff. Like yesterday when he said, "Yeah, I went back to my hotel and made a bunch of calls." Umm, I paid the cell phone bill this AM and he didn't have any phone calls made. It's just silly but very natural to him.

His mother said he was a klepto when he was a child. He would steal TV Guides, gum,and candy from stores and she would march him back in and make him confess and humiliate him but he kept doing it and kept lying about it. I honestly believe it's just in his nature and I have no idea if it's related to the alcoholism.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

All the alcoholics I've known lied, and not just about drinking. It seems to become part of who they are after a while. Anytime there was an uncomfortable situation that my XABF didn't want to facet he lied to avoid any kind of feelings that would cause him to feel uncomfortable. I don't think he ever learned how to confront reality and deal with it in a mature way.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

My exabf is a liar, sober, stoned or drunk, it is just another of his habits that he is
unwilling to break.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:17 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My ExABF used to try to lie, like said before in the other posts he would lie about the most innocent things, I'd ask him where he was with the car and instead of telling me where it was he would ask me 20 questions.lol come to find out he just went to the store to get smokes! He's not a very good liar at all. I think most his lies lasted for a whole 5 min before he just told me the truth. Then he'd tell me the truth and kinda look at me like "what are you gonna do about it huh? huh?" Gosh he was a pain in my butt. haha. In the end though he's still a liar wether he was good at it or not....
Old 06-27-2012, 05:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

not anymore than anyone else
Old 06-27-2012, 05:53 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

¨I'm starting to think all alcoholics are liars. Is this true?¨
Yes.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:17 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

YEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !! Lying,from what ive experienced with my XABF, is a way of life for an alcoholic/addict. It keeps them from having to face reality. Ex: XABF said his grandpa got him a job in another town 45mins from where we live cutting grass? WRONG! He was in a completely different city entirely with his ex gf hmmm. Ex #2: I find half naked pics of previously mentioned ex gf in my XABF email, call him over, pull them up on my computer screen to show that ive seen them and he says, "WTF is that!? Someones trying to set me up!" and she was wearing his favorite hat! Helllllooo!! My God hes a f*ckin delu-da-noid! My favorite lie though is, i really dont drink that much. OK! Like many others have said it keeps them from having to face reality. They dont want to know the truth because it would mean owning up and taking responsibility for themselves and my friend, that is the LAST thing they want to do. Why think about what a mess your life has become when theres drinks to be drunk and lies to be told!? Party on!!!
Old 06-27-2012, 06:38 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Yes. Lying is a means to serve their addiction.