Notices

Blood pressure UP !?!

Old 06-27-2012, 01:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Blood pressure UP !?!

Hi everyone.

I went to the doctors this morning to get another prescription for my birth control and the doctor said my blood pressure was UP. I really don't understand this at all... since the last time I had my blood pressure taken I have quit drinking, been on a healthy diet and been doing more exercise. I smoke, but I smoked the last time I had my blood pressure taken, too.

I'm quite upset as I thought I would be seeing health benefits and this is just a bit of a blow.

Has anyone else had this?

P.S I plan to give up smoking in August. I'm focussing on being sober and eating well for now.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I had that, got a heads up...took 4 more years to get help with my drinking...by that time the docs were suprised i hadn't already had a stroke and i was 38...i was smoking the docs said don't worry about the smoking it's the drinking but i suspect you already know that you need to abstain from alcohol for good and this is one of the more minor reasons:-)
Old 06-27-2012, 02:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

yeahgr8, thanks for the reply. Shouldn't my BP have gone down though, since I've quit?
Old 06-27-2012, 02:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What was it Mrs K? Our BP taken at the docs often can be up due to stress, 'white collar syndrome'. Did doc want a follow up? Also are u under stress since being sober? These things can have a temporary effect on BP.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I didn't actually ask what it was... probably should have done... I was just too "oh " to wonder what the reading actually was. I am going back in 3 weeks and she said she would re do it then to see how it is.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I wouldn't worry if she didn't go right into it, our BP can change slightly from day to day, lots of things can effect the reading. Next time I'd ask what it is. In Australia u can get it done at a chemist (pharmacy), if u are keen to check it again
Old 06-27-2012, 02:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks DoinThis! Much appreciated. I will try to relax about it and see what happens next time. It's just a bit of a blow!!
Old 06-27-2012, 02:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Its maybe because you were feeling tense?
Old 06-27-2012, 05:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I had BP problems when I was drinking. Low number is the mid - high 90's... Sometimes higher.

I quit 45 days ago or so (hard to keep up with the counting... easier to remember the day I quit)

I have an Omron and I take mine. I just took mine and I have had 2 cups of coffee and smoked. It was 104/79 Pulse 78 ----< my pulse used to always be in the 90's also. Both my Top and Bottom numbers were high also when I drank. I have also been exercising since I quit. Generally my blood pressure is now running even lower than that. Now, that is even a little high for me.

If you have a little spare money, why don't you get yourself a blood pressure monitor and keep a log. Take it first thing when you get up in the morning before any cigarettes or caffeine. Maybe you can pin point when it's going up if it's lower in the AM? This way you can take it at home and if you have "White collar syndrome" you can rule that out... and keep a log! The little BP monitors aren't expensive.

Also, if it continues to stay high, take the BP log to the doc with you.

P.S.

Also, how long has it been since you quit? My BP was still jumping around during withdrawal.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It's also possible that having high blood pressure has nothing to do with drinking. Life happens. The older you get, the more you start falling apart, alcohol or no alcohol.

I second the recommendation to get a BP monitor. I've had high blood pressure for ~ 20 years, I take medication and it is very well controlled. I don't even think about it, it's always about 115 over 75.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

When I quit drinking, I had to learn how to manage my anxiety. I love the urge surfing. I was at the doctor's getting my blood pressure checked. I do have that "whitecoat" thing too. The nurse said "your pressure is high" and I said "no, it isn't." I went into my urge surfing routine and the numbers fell to a perfect level right in front of my eyes. Try it. It works.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 View Post
It's also possible that having high blood pressure has nothing to do with drinking. Life happens. The older you get, the more you start falling apart, alcohol or no alcohol.

I second the recommendation to get a BP monitor. I've had high blood pressure for ~ 20 years, I take medication and it is very well controlled. I don't even think about it, it's always about 115 over 75.
Agreed. Hypertension runs in my family, so as I age I may have BP problems unrelated to alcohol. Also, weight can affect BP, certain drugs etc...
Old 06-27-2012, 06:08 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pinkdog View Post
When I quit drinking, I had to learn how to manage my anxiety. I love the urge surfing. I was at the doctor's getting my blood pressure checked. I do have that "whitecoat" thing too. The nurse said "your pressure is high" and I said "no, it isn't." I went into my urge surfing routine and the numbers fell to a perfect level right in front of my eyes. Try it. It works.
What is "urge surfing?" and do you own a pink dog?
Old 06-27-2012, 06:26 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

white coat syndrome means you get more anxious or nervous when you visit your doctor. if they didn't give you the numbers, you can call an get them. smoking has an effect on your body too, but cutting down to quit is difficult....

you can easily buy a BP cuff and take your pressure daily to keep track of it. the at home ones are pretty accurate and automated with a wrist cuff or upper arm.

if you were not particulary advised meds or other questions it might just be a small thing.
call the doctor's office and ask for information, that's what they are there for. don't sit and agonize.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for all your help. I am going to get an at home tester and see when/what makes it go up, etc. It would be good to know. It might be something to do with anxiety/stress - I was pretty stressed that I was going to miss the appointment (my bus was late!) but I don't have any fears with my doctor - I've been seeing her for over a year and she's very good. Thanks again for all your help.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:25 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

One of the things I had to accept was that I didn't have control over many things that I thought I had. Like you, I expected certain results since I was now doing everything 'right', but that doesn't necessarily give you the result you want. The main thing is that you're doing what you can do and hopefully your blood pressure will go down. I think it's a good idea to test yourself, too.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:43 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Investing in a BP meter would be a good idea, but if you can't afford it, most local drugstores have a machine you can use for free. Smoking does cause your BP to go up quite a bit, and quitting smoking will be a great move, but sometimes just family history and other factors can cause the high Bp.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:10 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Pinkdog, folks who have learned to 'urge surf', to follow their breath, or to meditate and be mindful, can all control their pulse rate and BP to a certain degree. I remember the first time I asked for a second BP test at my doctor's office, dropped the high number by 15 and the low number by 10. I thought that was pretty cool, and I bet you did too.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:19 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
Pinkdog, folks who have learned to 'urge surf', to follow their breath, or to meditate and be mindful, can all control their pulse rate and BP to a certain degree. I remember the first time I asked for a second BP test at my doctor's office, dropped the high number by 15 and the low number by 10. I thought that was pretty cool, and I bet you did too.
how do you do it?
Old 06-27-2012, 11:50 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
A girl can dream...

I Have a BP monitor at home and it's a God-send. There are so many triggers that send bp up just temporarily, one being getting checked at the doc's office. I can check my bp five mornings in a row and it's in perfect range. I go to the doctor and it's up at 20%.

My doctor has an electronic bp monitor that checks my bp six times in a span of 6 minutes. First reading his higher but when the doc leaves the room for the other five readings it drops back to normal.

That being said, I learned some good breathing techniques that help bring my bp down when I feel it's high. Google yoga or meditation breathing techniques - especially videos. They teach you how to do it correctly and you can do it anywhere, anytime.