Notices

Finding joy in mundane things

Old 06-26-2012, 04:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Smile Finding joy in mundane things

After being fatigued and just plain lazy for several weeks, I finally got a burst of energy this morning and cleaned my house thoroughly. (it needed it) I'm having company tomorrow and want the place in order. It looks so good I feel a warm glow in my heart. To know that I have the ability to clean my house and the ambition to do it is wonderful and makes me very grateful.

The longer I'm sober, the more joy I find in little everyday things. It makes me grateful for the world around me and the people in it. When I was drinking I never noticed these little things but now I do... and it's amazing.

What little ordinary things delight you?
Old 06-26-2012, 04:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

The place looks very nice, least, did you just paint?

The feeling of motivation combined with that feeling of being up to the task is a big change for me too, never felt that way while drinking. Good for you.

Me, I started walking in the morning before work, now doing about 3 1/2 miles each day. What were the chances of that ever happening before?
Old 06-26-2012, 04:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

No painting, just cleaning. But yeah, both the ability to do things and the desire to do them - didn't have that when I was drinking.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I greatly enjoy walking the dog now instead of before just tossing him in the backyard, (while i stood there and drank) or walking a block and back. Now we go on real walks!
I am enjoying learning how to maintain things in life (like the car, the laundry, preparing the night before for the next day,...) whereas before these were bigger than life impositions (lol). Now i am learning to keep a routine. Its not perfect yet, but I am learning that it is not the drain on me i claimed. No drain at all really.Kinda comforting. Nice thread, Least! : )
Old 06-26-2012, 05:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just being able to get out to the library like I did today is a big thing for me...
I have good mobility days and bad ones...and good head space days and not...

but far more good ones now in recovery

thanks least - glad you had a good day too
D
Old 06-26-2012, 05:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's been a perfect weather day here today and I love it. The sky was blue all day, full sunshine, but a perfect breeze so it didn't get too hot. Taking time to fully appreciate the sunshine.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SoberDreams

I like this thread. Dee what you said is so true for me too. I had this crazy idea that once I got sober all days would be good. At first they were. It gave me the idea that, 'hey this isn't so hard.' Lately though as I progress with my sobriety, I find I do have bad days. Days where I don't really want to do anything and I am in a bad mood. The urge to drink creeps in. With time I am hoping this will pass.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:08 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Gone In

It took me a while to learn to appeciate little things. I used to hate the mundane, for me it had to be 400 miles an hour 24/7. Always a sensation seeker, always wanting some sort of intense outside stimulation.

Now I feel like a much more astute observer of things. I like quiet stillness. I like the way the sun glints off the water. I like watching the sun rise. I like watching the little animals in the neighborhood go about their business on a Sunday morning.

It took about a year but I got there. Starting out I wouldn't have believed you if you'd told me.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm enjoying hanging with my hubby in the evenings and bonus is actually remembering what we said/did/watched/read...and not have to scramble around just pretending like I do the next morning...ugh.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

It is so nice to just simply enjoy the smallest of joys. And to have the energy to do the littlest things and remember doing them
Old 06-26-2012, 07:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I really love the magic of everyday life. Sober with clear eyes. Ordinary is ok. Thank you for this thread, least