Notices

I'm not sure if I'm addicted yet, but I get it...

Old 06-26-2012, 12:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm not sure if I'm addicted yet, but I get it...

I've been taking percocets for about 5 years now. At first, it was about once a month, but than it became slightly more frequent. For the past two years, I do it on Fri, Sat and I try to go without doing it on Sunday. During the week, I don't touch it unless I have a social situation.

When Friday comes, I can't wait to pop a pill. I do 15 mg. I love it.

I think I'm addicted -- Enough to find this site and get a password and write this. I have about 15 days left, and I am thinking of trying to quit afterwards.

Is this how major addictions start? Please tell me if you think I am an addict. I think I can quit. Advice?
Old 06-26-2012, 12:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If you want to know whether you're an addict, try to quit RIGHT NOW with those 15 days still left. You'll know then.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Exactly as stated before, quit now, try to not take ONE more and see how you feel. You are the only one that will know if your addicted and if you are, admit it now and change your life forever.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Well, with painkillers the question is: Are you taking them as prescribed for pain, or are you only taking them to get high?

Whether you do it daily or just on the weekends, if the sole goal is the "high" rather than relief from pain, then I would say yes, you do have a problem.

As the others have said ... stop TODAY and see how you feel. Those feelings will be a big indicator as to whether or not you are addicted.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think if you're questioning the situation, then you are probably concerned for a good reason. I hope you take a look around here and read and learn. There is lots of support.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I looked like that holdin beer

I would defiantly stop. My friend started out just getting high on the weekends with Oxy. He progressively became worse and after 8 years he eventually started shooting it many times a day. He is now homeless.

In the beginning he never in a millions years thought that he would ever shoot it, or that he would loose everything because of it.

I am unfortunate to have seen, not just him, but a lot of my friends fall from Oxy addiction, and have personally come to loathe it.

You are already doing it every weekend--Bad bad bad. There is a good possibility that one Sunday you will you decide why not take a pill, and then it will turn into Fri, Sat, and Sun; then Mon.... and so on. Then you will need more mg to feel the same high.

You have already progressed-- granted, slowly in 5 years, but you are progressing.

You are playing with fire big time.

Again, I urge you to stop

Good luck to you, and please keep us posted I am glad you are here
Old 06-28-2012, 12:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I think if you're questioning the situation, then you are probably concerned for a good reason. I hope you take a look around here and read and learn. There is lots of support.
Here's a ramble....

I've been thinking about quiting. Thinking, not doing. I haven't done any percocets, but as you know, I do it on the weekend. I'm thinking about doing it and throwing them away, but...

I've taken a look around this board. I guess people are people. We think we are so different, yet we are pretty similar.

I was trying to think of when I should quit -- maybe after I run out, maybe after I go on this trip in August, or that couples date my wife and I have, or after my kids graduation or after that big dinner in a month, or after Halloween or after....

I get it. It will never be a good time to quit. I guess that means it might have to be now.

Right now, I am so NOT ****** up, compared to some of the horrible stories I've read on this board. But I am guessing most of these people were like me last year or 5 years ago. This is what makes me scared about my habit. I can still quit (I hope).

When I do the percocets, everything is better. It's not make believe better. It is more enjoyable. I'm much more social, and I really enjoy myself. Currently, if I don't do percocets, these events are never as enjoyable. I'd like to do it during the week, but I don't.

Be honest with me about this -- If I quit today, will these events eventually become as enjoyable?
Old 06-28-2012, 02:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Dman, you say that you are watching your oxy intake increase, and you are getting concerned because it seems to be creeping up. Do you understand that there is no real physical limit to the amount that you can consume? How does 1600 mg a day sound to you? It is possible I know for a fact. It just takes time to work up to it. Think about what that person's life was like - how do you do that? How do you pay for it? That is no life for you, Dman. Please think very carefully about this.

You can also think about what your life will be like when you decide that you will never drop another perc. When is a good time to feel like that?
Old 06-28-2012, 03:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm an alcoholic, but I can absolutely assure you there is life after addiction - and it is good.

It was nothing like I thought it would be - but it was way better.

It took me a long time for get to the point where I realised I had a problem - for many years I was convinced my self medication worked for me.

I realised my mind had been turned in subtle ways over the years I drank and got high - it took a little while for me to see things clearly again after I quit, but when I did I remembered a life before booze that I'd forgotten.

You might want to visit our substance abuse forum too - but addictions addiction...I'm confident the guys there will back me up

D
Old 06-28-2012, 04:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
I looked like that holdin beer

dman69ny,

You said,

"I was trying to think of when I should quit -- maybe after I run out, maybe after I go on this trip in August, or that couples date my wife and I have, or after my kids graduation or after that big dinner in a month, or after Halloween or after...."

"When I do the percocets, everything is better. It's not make believe better. It is more enjoyable. I'm much more social, and I really enjoy myself. Currently, if I don't do percocets, these events are never as enjoyable. I'd like to do it during the week, but I don't."

Would you tell your kids that everything is better and life is more enjoyable with pain pills?

Good luck
Old 06-29-2012, 10:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Knowing that I have the pills, and that I could take one if I want, makes me ... weak. I don't want to throw them away, but if i don't do it, I'll bend to temptation.

Just writing that makes me realize I am an addict. Scary. I hope I throw them away.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dman69ny View Post
I hope I throw them away.
Why don't you?....You got to start somewhere.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

there's also the question of how this is impacting your life -- in 12-step language, is it making your life "unmanageable"? from what you wrote, it doesn't appear to be a serious problem in your life. this should not stop you from quitting if you want to, but it should stop you from believing that you have a lifelong, incurable disease that will require treatment for the rest of your life.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by dman69ny View Post
I've been thinking about quiting. Thinking, not doing.
Throwing the pills away would be a great start to your recovery. It would be doing something powerful...empowering YOU, not the addiction.

As for this statement:

"When I do the percocets, everything is better. It's not make believe better. It is more enjoyable."

No, it's drug-induced enjoyment. Artificial. And therefore, make believe. Get clean. Work on the reasons you feel like you need drugs to feel good and you will start enjoying life, pill free.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

As of right now, I have zero health or family problems and money is not an issue. My life is great. The pills have not caused any problems in my life at all. Zero issues right now.

I want to quit because I don't think this is a healthy situation. Now that I am on this website, I almost have to quit because the fun will be tainted with guilt.

It appears I am going to quit.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Well, I'm back on the site. Vacation was awesome. Zero pills since my last post. I'm fine. I'm not having any cravings. Each morning I went for long jogs, which gave me a seratonin high for the rest of the day. So far so good.

One night, I wished I had a percocet, but it didn't take me over the edge.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:55 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
~sb

Please see a doctor for proper detox.