Notices

First AA Meeting in a few hours!!!

Old 06-25-2012, 05:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First AA Meeting in a few hours!!!

Tonight I am going to my first AA meeting. I wanted to thank all of you for your wonderful support. I hope the people I meet in person are just as supportive as all of you have been.
This is a huge step for me because I kept my alcohol abuse use a secret for many years. In public I delicately held my glass of wine, having two or three at social events, never getting loud or boisterous. Little did they know, (including my spouse) that I had liquor stashed in the house in secret hiding places so that I could continue my drinking, chasing the buzz when I got home. My life revolved around when I could drink again. I made "rules" so that I could convince myself that I was not an alcoholic. First, no drinking during the day, then no drinking at home. The smaller I made the window of opportunity the more I would drink when given the chance. No matter the song and dance, the game I played with wine, bottom line. When you are on the floor praying to Mother Mary not to barf, even if you drink once a week, there is a problem and I had it. My last drink was 2/27/12 and my new life without wine is glorious!!! I look forward to sharing my journey with all of you. We are all so good for each other. Improving our lives together one day at a time!!
Old 06-25-2012, 05:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Wow, what a great post!

I could feel your enthusiasm as I read it!

I don't think you will be let down tonight. You are about to meet some of the most compassionate, loving, and FUN people to provide support because they have all been there themselves!

Let us know how it goes!

God Bless,

William
Old 06-25-2012, 05:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

An inspirational post.. thanks for sharing asoberliferocks, I'm considering going to an AA meeting but haven't quite got there yet.. please let us know how it goes !
Old 06-25-2012, 06:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

Good luck! I'm sure you'll have a great time. Let us know how it goes!
Old 06-25-2012, 06:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're working on your recovery.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Asoberlife - I love your attitude & hopeful outlook. May the meeting be all you want/need it to be. Let us know how it goes.

You sound like the exact same type of drinker I was - no one would've ever guessed how much I put away in a day. Like you, I felt much better when the secret was out - what a huge burden lifted.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

AHH! You guys are the best!! Leaving the house now!! Wish I could take all of you with me. Will post a follow up.