Notices

anxiety

Old 06-25-2012, 11:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

anxiety

hi everyone ive not really posted on here just read alot of the time as of tommorow im 6 months sober its been hard but reading on this site as helped me through some bad times . im not craving or got urge to drink i was just wandaring about anxiety around this time for everyone else . one day ill feel not to bad then day after back again its like ill be doing something and all of a sudden get this rush of panic like adrenaline feeling sometimes lasts few minuits other times longer did anyone else expierienc this around 6 month mark
Old 06-25-2012, 11:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety date 12/19/2011

I had 6 months on the 19th - and I feel it. Some days are better than others for me. Today is ok, but earlier this week was miserably harder. I am just following what my sponsor tells me to, and I am going to a meeting tonight at 6pm. I give all my problems to my Higher Power every morning and anxiety is one of them. It helps.
I also supplement with lots of vitamins and minerals. Especially B vitamins and C, some herbs also help with anxiety, like chamomile or licorice teas.
I get that rushing feeling usually when I am in a deep sleep, it wakes me up. It might also be my blood pressure - when I remember to check it, it is always high. I really need to meditate a lot more and get that blood pressure under more control.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Anxiety was a regular co traveler with me for many months, and I learned to do things that control it. Anybody can do it, any time. Some call it meditation, some call it mindfulness, some call it following your breath. It is a skill that is self taught, and anyone can learn it. Just google any one of those phrases and see if what you find makes sense to you.

Last edited by Dee74; 06-25-2012 at 02:19 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

thanks guys its nice for your replys
Old 06-25-2012, 03:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi! I have to manage my anxiety too. Google urge surfing. It is a way to calm yourself. It's like instead of panicking you just kind of accept it and it goes away. I love it! Best to you
Old 06-25-2012, 03:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Been sober for 12 months and do notice some anxiety creeping in.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Bigslim

I had horrendous anxiety when I drank.
Alcohol gives me awful anxiety in any form. Palpatations, light headed, upset stomach etc etc.

I found my anxiety was worse early on, but I'm too coming up to six months, and I now find it wearing off.
However, if I am tired, run down, stressed then that's a big trigger for my anxiety.

Sometimes I find that only having a bit of a sleep works, maybe an hour or so but no longer so I'm not awake all night.

I also come here most days, but especially so when I am anxious, and it helps.

I am also prescribed beta blockers by my doctor (I'm in UK) and they are non-addictive, safe etc etc and work good on anxiety. Usually take one in a morning if my anxiety is bad then have a shower get ready etc try to focus elsewhere and before I know it the beta blocker has kicked in and I feel better.

In the UK there is an organisation called 'panic no more' and I found their breathing exercises helpful. perhaps you could have a google of it?

Do you know whats causing your anxiety?
Can you pin point it?
Is there a specific cause or is it just anxiety that happens when you have nor reason to be anxious?

I wish you all the best my friend

xx
Old 06-25-2012, 03:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

this site was helpful to me
Calm Clinic

welcome back to SR bigslim

D
Old 06-26-2012, 06:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

thanks pinkdog im going to try that need to do something to help on most days thank you for reply
Old 06-26-2012, 06:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

hi Sasha4 im also on beta blockers of my doc but they dont seem to do anything for my anxiety been on them for about 2 months now .ive got to try get new doc mine just doesnt seem to listen to me its like they got prescription already written to fob me off im also in uk 2