Notices

What is the Miracle??

Old 06-25-2012, 08:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sobriety date 12/19/2011

What is the Miracle??

I have been reading a lot of posts this morning and I just want to know what is the Miracle that everyone keeps posting about?

I have had a few since I have been sober, but not any mind shattering Miracle. Is that what I am suppose to be looking out for, or is it just the little miracles that happen every day?
Old 06-25-2012, 08:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

For many of us, being sober is the miracle.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
For many of us, being sober is the miracle.
great answer.

little things in life that we let pass us by while intoxicated become little miracles as well.

eventually we see the true gift of life and what we are as humans are capable of. and that is a great miracle. perhaps everyone finds their own at some point.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Well put, Carl.

For me, there hasn't been anything earth shattering ... just a series of "small miracles" that happen every day. The improvements in my physical and emotional health, the positive changes in my relationships and my family life, a return of my energy and motivation, my desire to get back out in the world and be productive ... I mean, there was a day when just waking up and getting dressed was a huge undertaking, let alone pulling myself together just to go to the grocery store or the post office!

Sure, not every day is great ... but even those days are still better than the best days I ever had when I was drinking.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

For me, the Miracle is in knowing I am right where I need to be, right where I belong.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The miracle, for me, is living. I just realized today is my 100th day of sobriety. That's my miracle, 100 sober days reconnecting with myself and my family. I look forward to the next 100, one day at a time.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

361 days sober is my miracle.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:41 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My miracle is being sober. Carl said it well. I am a mother again, I feel good, I sleep and don't wake up in the night thinking my kidneys are shutting down. Every day I get through remembering I no longer drink is a miracle.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My miracle is still unfolding. Hope this doesn't sound too weird, but I have a gift of very heightened intuition, an ability to see and feel beyond the surface appearance of the world. Not psychic or anything... just a sensitivity or connection. It's one of the things I really love about myself.

Of course, drinking ended that. Blocked it completely. Left me in a very "unknowing" place about others and the flow of life.

Now it is coming back. In just the last 2 weeks dry (again), I am starting to get those little insights and connections again.

Sorry if it sounds a little freaky. I think everyone has it, actually.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I don't believe in miracles but getting my life back on track is the key to for me to feel good with myself. Not going on benders and having 5 days of hangovers. If your still relapse a lot then rethink of what your doing about it and find out why and things will get better. It always will.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

In my life, I've been priveleged to have experienced many miracles.

...not killing anyone when I drove around totally blitzed
...not only watching, but actually delivering my first son.
...the birth of a new human, even though some don't look it.
...being able to experience happiness and serenity in my life considering where I started
...being sober
...being clean
...seeing the sun rise and set, and remembering it.
...seeing all the people posting here that start seeing a little hope.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I spent most of my life fighting the obsession to drink alcohol...The more it progressed...The more I lost the fight. For me doing those 12 steps...Changed the way I thought about and treated myself and others...Got some sprirituality back into my life...Of which I had none ....And removed the obsession for something that had controlled everything I had done for 35 years. All those things that book says will happen...Happened for me. But this one really changed my life. Not even sure when it happened...I was working my ninth step....End of the third month?...Beginning of the fourth?...And it just hit me...I hadn't even thought about alcohol in days.....That was a miracle for me.

And we have ceased fighting anything or anyone - even alcohol. For by this time sanity will have returned. We will seldom be interested in liquor. If tempted, we recoil from it as from a hot flame. We react sanely and normally, and we will find that this has happened automatically. We will see that our new attitude toward liquor has been given us without any thought or effort on our part. It just comes! That is the miracle of it. We are not fighting it, neither are we avoiding temptation. We feel as though we had been placed in a position of neutrality - safe and protected. We have not even sworn off. Instead, the problem has been removed. It does not exist for us. We are neither cocky nor are we afraid. That is our experience. That is how we react so long as we keep in fit spiritual condition.

bb pg 84-85
Old 06-26-2012, 07:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

The answer is always in the book. Love it.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

For me the miracle was not just not drinking, but how do I put this.... Not even realizing I wasn't drinking. In the past I had been able to put together days or weeks, once even eight months, at a stretch, but it was hell. It felt like the walls were closing in on me and that tightness in my gut was getting stronger, and stronger, and stronger. I was irritable, restless, not a whole lot of fun to be around, and ALL I could think about was drinking/not drinking.

Some men at the AA club I attended pulled me aside after my final go at it, and they shared with me how they obtained this "miracle" that people talk about, this contentment in their life where alcohol seemed to be a non-issue. I followed their directions as they took me through the big book of AA and rather quickly I experienced this miracle. I did some foot work and god moved some stuff around in me.

Now, drinking just doesn't even occur to me. And, at the same time, my life is good. I am happy, content, with some inner peace that had alluded me for so long.

So, the miracle for me was not just not drinking, but being content and happy, and watching god shape this life for me that I could never have even fathomed had those men not shared with me the solution they had found in alcoholics anonymous.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
I spent most of my life fighting the obsession to drink alcohol...The more it progressed...The more I lost the fight. For me doing those 12 steps...Changed the way I thought about and treated myself and others...Got some sprirituality back into my life...Of which I had none ....And removed the obsession for something that had controlled everything I had done for 35 years. All those things that book says will happen...Happened for me. But this one really changed my life. Not even sure when it happened...I was working my ninth step....End of the third month?...Beginning of the fourth?...And it just hit me...I hadn't even thought about alcohol in days.....That was a miracle for me.

And we have ceased fighting anything or anyone - even alcohol. For by this time sanity will have returned. We will seldom be interested in liquor. If tempted, we recoil from it as from a hot flame. We react sanely and normally, and we will find that this has happened automatically. We will see that our new attitude toward liquor has been given us without any thought or effort on our part. It just comes! That is the miracle of it. We are not fighting it, neither are we avoiding temptation. We feel as though we had been placed in a position of neutrality - safe and protected. We have not even sworn off. Instead, the problem has been removed. It does not exist for us. We are neither cocky nor are we afraid. That is our experience. That is how we react so long as we keep in fit spiritual condition.

bb pg 84-85
Exactly the set of promises this thread brought to mind! Thanks for posting these! Neutral is an amazing place to be!
Old 06-26-2012, 08:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EricL View Post
Exactly the set of promises this thread brought to mind! Thanks for posting these! Neutral is an amazing place to be!
Most of those steps have promises...Those are the step 10 promises...Yeah...Not fighting that stuff is a wonderful thing.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:24 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Spiritual Learner

God brought me to A.A.-A.A. brought me back to God! Today is a miracle for me, being sober and reconnecting to my God!

Thank you for the reminder!!!
Old 06-26-2012, 08:32 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

the miracle i refer to is the miracle that the craving, complusion, and obsession to drink has been removed
Old 06-26-2012, 08:38 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
the miracle i refer to is the miracle that the craving, complusion, and obsession to drink has been removed
That's the one I posted...Pages 84 and 85.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:09 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberbrooke View Post
I have been reading a lot of posts this morning and I just want to know what is the Miracle that everyone keeps posting about?

I have had a few since I have been sober, but not any mind shattering Miracle. Is that what I am suppose to be looking out for, or is it just the little miracles that happen every day?
We can't see the forest for the trees. We miss the big picture. What does your sponsor say?

All the best.

Bob R