Notices

Old 06-25-2012, 06:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lightbulb Newbie

Hi, new to forum and I don't know where to start,

I'm just a regular guy, 38, my life's not a mess, my kids are great, I've never been arrested, I run a farming business that doesn't do to bad,

But I screwed up my family holiday to Thailand. Anyway the story ends up on the last day instead of having one beer free day with the family I was at a bar at midday watching rugby and drinking beer. I stumbled back to resort at 6.00pm off my ****, with a hazy recollection of the afternoon. I was helped into the room by an attendant, my wife screamed at me to sleep it off and went out with the kids only to come back with me passed on the bathroom floor. So now she's understandably scared hurt and angry.

I wanna make excuses like I only do it every now and then, or I don't drink all the time, I work hard and a little blow off every now and then is ok, gee doesn't that sound familiar.

Unfortunately its not the only time I've screwed up, but it is about the worst. Though over the last 20 odd years there have been plenty of omg moments the next day.

So now I know I upset my family, I don't want to lose them, I'm not sure how to change a life that is all I've known since I was 16, I'm sure that I'll lose some mates, maybe even my best mate. I enjoy a night out on the booze with the boys every now and then.

Ok so I wonder is this the point where I say hey I might have a problem that goes a little higher than just no self control????

Confused and worried,
Old 06-25-2012, 06:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to SR.

Originally Posted by ghammer View Post
...is this the point where I say hey I might have a problem that goes a little higher than just no self control????
If you can't control the amount you drink when you start, that is the problem. There is no "higher" problem.

But it is a problem that can get worse!

We always advise seeing a doctor before you decide to quit cold turkey, as detox can be dangerous.

Again, welcome.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

When I'm out it's usually time to go home when the lights come on, the beer runs out or the money runs low, or I'm to scared of what will happen if I don't go home, otherwise I'd be happy to keep chugging em down. The more I put it out there the worse it sounds,
Old 06-25-2012, 06:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi ghammer,

I'm in the same boat as you are. No kids here, but my drinking is not an every day thing. It has gotten out of control on more nights than I would care to admit, which is what brought me here. I'm tired of upsetting myself and my loved ones.

I think it's great that you came here to check it out. I'm only 3 days in, so I don't know how much advice I can give, but looking for help certainly never hurt. Right now, I am trying to just keep busy with my work and my school and my boyfriend, and not worry about the friends whom I really don't want to tell about this. If you are worried about losing your friends, why not take some time not thinking about them just yet, and focus on yourself and your family? Being confused and worried is probably a good first step and one you should take a little time to figure out.

Anyway, I don't know if any of that helps, but I am glad you are here and worrying about yourself. It's when we don't worry about ourselves that problems don't get fixed
Old 06-25-2012, 06:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

All I can contribute is this - If you drink and you think you may have a problem ... If you haven't YET lost everything you value in life ... keep drinking ... you WILL
Old 06-25-2012, 06:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello ghammer

Your story sounds so much as mine kids, wife and once and awhile landing on the floor which is an ugly feeling yet we are different most likely in other areas but the area that matters to me is my family so I'm on day 3 after falling down and getting help up by someone I don't remember and making it home how I don't remember but today is a new beginning, I know I have a problem and had since I was 15 I'm 53 now and I'm going to do my best this time around to keep the demon in the bottle
I love life and my family so one day at a time I hope the best for you
Your friend
Paultime
Old 06-26-2012, 03:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well, here goes, I've decided to stop drinking, a day, a week at a time, day by day should be ok, a week or so away will be the problem as I will be dreaming of the next binge.

I want to be a good example to my children, and hopefully my wife will come around. The problem is because my recollection of the afternoon in Phuket is so hazy she's not sure that I didn't run down the road and go off with a thai lady for the afternoon. I didn't, but that is going to take some changes and re-establishment of trust, so here goes.

So goodbye to the binge, and the only way I think I can do it is goodbye to my old friend the beer, hopefully hello to family.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

good decision ghammer - welcome aboard

D
Old 06-26-2012, 03:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

((ghammer)) - welcome to SR!!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy