Delusional "overheard" conversation (that never happened)

Old 06-24-2012, 10:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Delusional "overheard" conversation (that never happened)

I just need to talk with others about this. I believe my DD's boyfriend is in the midst of a psychotic episode. Today he swears he recently "overheard" a very detailed derogatory-towards-him conversation between me and another person in the house (a conversation which never took place). He smokes weed off and on.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This happened with my ex. It was around the time that the crazy train really picked up speed. All I can say is please be careful, all of you. Does your daughter live with him? I personally would avoid every being alone with someone I suspected of psychosis.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for your response. I'm feeling really alone right now.

He lives with us.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Earlier today my DD was the one that came and told me what he was saying. She told me that she tried to reason with him that I would never say such things. When he kept insisting that he clearly "heard what he heard" she came to me crying and upset with what he was saying and his state of mind. I listened to everything and told her he was having some sort of psychotic episode and that trying to reason with someone in the midst of that was futile. That he needed professional help whether it was drug induced or not.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

:ghug3 I will keep you and your DD in my prayers. You are defiantly right he needs some help either way.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I really appreciate your prayers and the hug...thank you.

It's a comfort just not feeling so alone (in the middle of the night, no less) in what you know is spot on right.

Thanks to you both for the support.

edit
Old 06-25-2012, 12:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

i have no experience in what you are going through and hopefully never will as my daughters grow up, but i hope your daughter can see this guy for the person he actually is at the moment and make some good decisions for herself. hugs to you both through this tough time.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you. Yes, she has a good head on her shoulders. This came out of the blue and created turmoil in her to see him so insistent and upset about how painful it was to him to have "overheard" it when she knew it couldn't be true.

After he told her, and after she discussed it with me, he wanted to talk to me about it and how hurt he was. What he said and how he acted reminded me of a family member that has been dealing with severe paranoid schizophrenia for their entire life. I've also seen my AS delusional many times and I've known of people to get paranoid after weed...which was my first thought of what was going on with him although he's never acted like this before. He could also be showing first symptoms of a disorder yet to be dx'd. Either way, it can't be played out here in our house.

Thank you again for all your support.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have a young friend who has had several psychotic episodes that were triggered by smoking pot. He was convinced that there were conversations that I know never occurred. He ended up needing to be hospitalized and getting on medication.

I' glad that your daughter is able to turn to you. Hugs...