Notices

1st AA Meeting

Old 06-24-2012, 12:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

1st AA Meeting

I just went to my first AA meeting today. Technically it is the second time I was at one, but this is my first time going for me, before it was to support a friend. It went well. Everyone was nice and welcoming, as I expected. It is a little overwhelming thinking that this is something I should do every day. I don't know if my schedule will allow it, but I will definitely fit it into my schedule as much as I can.

Listening to some of the women talk was difficult; some had some pretty rough stuff to share. It was good to hear, though. I'm still getting nervous about the whole, changing my whole life around thing. Not drinking sounds easy enough, but I know it won't be all the time. I understand the mentality of losing a friend in alcohol. What about all the good times I had drinking with friends? I know the bad outweighs the good (and the good really wasn't as good as I tell myself it was), but it's weird.

Anyway, two days dry and feeling hopeful.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

cool beans!! they may have gone further downt he scale than you, but their thinking was prolly on the same line as yours.

i can relate to the nervous thing. everything without alcohol was new to me. to combat that fear, i got me some courage and just started doin it. it realy did get easier!

if this hopeless,helpless, worthless, useless drunk can get sober, so can you!
Old 06-24-2012, 02:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That sounds like me. First time I went to AA was with somebody else. My first meeting was a somewhat... nervous experience. I'd been dry for three days, on my second attempt to quit that week. My second... was on a day when I'd been drinking. It was only a week later, but I'd just not managed to keep off the beer. I'd come close to giving up quitting because I couldn't do it on my own. But that day, I decided to get help.
Took a while before I could say the A word though...
But yes, glad you found it useful. We're a friendly bunch at AA. We have cookies too. (Sometimes )

And congrats on two days You can do this.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
AA member

Good news bunnydale.Keep coming back.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Bunny,
Good for you. I use AA and this forum to stay sober.

love
CaiHong
Old 06-24-2012, 04:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Congrats on your decision to quit drinking. Congrats on your sober time so far.

Pretty rough stuff to share? You betcha. This ain't a sewing circle. Some folks feel the need to earn their seat. They want and need to share how bad it was so they can appreciate how good it is. Been there, done that. Also, when a newcomer is in the room, members don't know the story. Was he/she high bottom or low bottom - how low did they go before they came to a meeting? We need to meet the newcomer where they are, and we don't know where that is.

Please keep coming back. Like anything else, it takes awhile to feel comfortable. Once you get past that, an AA meeting is almost always the most comfortable place in the world for an alcoholic.