Notices

Thank You.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thank You.

I was googling 'Does Alcohol cause bloating?' and I found SR. I have been unashamedly stalking you ever since.

I didn't drink much in my teens and my twenties, saw friends with hangovers etc and couldn't see the attraction and I didn't even like alcohol. Really wish I had held on to that thought!! In my thirties I discovered the joys(?) of white wine. In the past ten years I have gone from the occasional glass to a bottle, bottle and a half a night.

I never drank during the day because that would make me feel like cr*p.However drinking all evening and feeling cr*p the next morning became acceptable. I never drank before 6.30pm even if that meant me standing in the kitchen, one hand on the fridge, waiting for the minutes to tick round to the acceptable time. I would wake up in the morning and take until lunchtime to feel normal, achieve not very much and then treat myself to wine in the evening for the hard day I had had.

Since finding SR, reading the books people have mentioned, I have seriously taken a look at my habit. In the past three weeks, I have had a couple of glasses of wine, 21+ bottles less than I would have done otherwise.(wow, that looks an awful lot of wine in print!)

Yesterday I had a bad day when I felt only wine and chocolate would help. Was in the supermarket when I met a friend who I haven't seen since I was drinking heavily. She told me I looked really healthy, had a glow! The lack of alcohol has meant the puffiness in my face has gone down but also now I am taking time to put on make up, care about what I am wearing. I am the girl who used to grab the first thing to hand, who once spent time chatting in the playground only to discover later that the pegs were still attached to my shirt!!

I am not naive enough to think that after three weeks I've got it sussed and I know that I still have to address why even though I'm choosing not to drink I can't bring myself to say that's it forever. But thank you all for sharing your experiences and wisdom because in the last three weeks my life has changed dramatically and this place has helped so much, even though you didn't know it.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety date 12/19/2011

I can relate. I was an evening drinker also, about 5 or 530 I would pop me open a bottle of red wine or some beer. I knew I was an alcoholic since I was 29 or so, but didn't take it seriously until recently. I now have 6 months and am looking great, no puffiness, but not really sure how I am feeling.
It was a struggle when I first got sober this time, but it has stuck with me. I have done everything this AA program teaches, I have become teachable again. I got out of my own way, which was my EGO (Easing God Out) and have let God guide my life again.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm not sure how I feel either.

The logical side says that I feel so much better being sober (apart for the first few days when I was so wired I felt only running a marathon would numb me!) but there is a little voice that says 'you enjoy drinking' hence the couple of glasses I've had. The thing is I know that the days of me 'savouring' that glass of wine passed about ten years ago.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Gallopingfree

I was an evening drinker too but it had become very unmanageable. Glad that you are seeing some benefits to being sober. It only gets worse if we don't address it. Have you thought about looking into any recovery literature? It may help you x
Old 06-23-2012, 03:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome GallopingFree

I'm glad you're seeing the benefits

Very few of us wanted to think about forever - it's very daunting...but most of us can just about manage to think about no drinking today - all we have to do is back up and do it again tomorrow.

The problem I have with 'the odd glass of wine' is that odd glass will return me to drinking bottles every day - it may be a quick return or a slow one - but it's inevitable if you're a drinker like me.

You'll find a lot of support and advice here - good to have you here
D
Old 06-23-2012, 06:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!

Glad you are here!
Old 06-23-2012, 09:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

we are glad to have you with us. It doesn't have to be forever just for today (everyday) works just as well ;-)

Cheers ~ NB
Old 06-23-2012, 11:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
instant

I am glad you are here. It took me a long time to admit to myself that what was happening would inexorably get worse. I accepted that the costs had got to an unacceptable level. Even so it still took me many efforts to finally get sober.

Now I am 13 months sober life is so much easier, relaxing and fun.

Alcohol promises but on balance under delivers, and the costs are higher than stated in the advertising
Old 06-24-2012, 02:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Glad to have you with us! The benefits your friend saw on the outside? Just imagine how much healthier your body is on the inside as well. :-)
Old 06-24-2012, 07:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Gallopingfree. I also stalked the site for a little while, joined, and I am glad to say that today is day 14 of no alchohol. The support of the other members on this site is great. Good to have you here!
Old 06-24-2012, 11:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by Gallopingfree View Post
a little voice that says 'you enjoy drinking' hence the couple of glasses I've had.
That little voice (AV = addictive voice) only has power if you give it power. The AVRT is a good recovery tool to understant that voice and how to deal with as to be alcohol free. Letting go of alcohol is a process of skill building for a good many others and for myself.

Keep up your activity here at SR, as you know this place is full of healing information and personal stories or it members.