Notices

My kids are gone for 9 days!

Old 06-22-2012, 05:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

My kids are gone for 9 days!

My parents took my kids on a cruise this week- they left last night. This trip has been planned for a while and I was still using when it was planned. I had been so excited to have a week to myself where I could just smoke pot all day, drink when I wanted, etc etc. I never even thought of my kids in this scenerio.

I am now 52 days clean/sober and instead of wanting to stay home wasted I wanted to go on the the cruise!! I hugged my kids so tight and fought back the tears as I said good-bye last night.

I plan on hitting meeting, picking up some work shifts, and working on my relationship with my husband this week. Much more worthwhile than laying on the couch stoned eating.

I am so thankful for the mother and woman I am becoming in recovery. She's not so bad.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Time to hang out with some of your new friends! Window shopping, lunch, bowling, whatever! Pamper yourself, too! Bubble baths with your music on in the background, a little facial, mani & pedi....Relax! They'll be home soon enough!

Stay sober, aeo! Congratulations on 60 days!
Old 06-22-2012, 06:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Enjoy your free days sober Hope you get to do all kinds of fun things!
Old 06-22-2012, 06:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Time to hang out with some of your new friends! Window shopping, lunch, bowling, whatever! Pamper yourself, too! Bubble baths with your music on in the background, a little facial, mani & pedi....Relax! They'll be home soon enough!

Stay sober, aeo! Congratulations on 60 days!
Today I am hanging out all day with a close friend that I haven't spent time with in many years. I am now going for a run, then AA mtg, and then getting my fun on--soberly of course!
Old 06-22-2012, 06:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

I think you'll have a lovely sober week. Think of all the "fog free" days you'll have and being kid free isn't bad from time to time. Hope you enjoy it!!
Old 06-22-2012, 07:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Pamper yourself this week and enjoy your child-free time. Read, walk, enjoy the summer and good for you for recognizing that you are changing in good ways.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sure both you and your kids will each have a great week A

enjoy!
D
Old 06-22-2012, 04:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

my kids are going away on sunday

Thanks for your post, my kids are going away on sunday and i am scared s***less that instead of using time to sort the house out, deal with feelings etc etc i am just going to be so bored/free/lonely I will just get drunk the entire time. if you have any tips I would be very grateful. Thanks:l
Old 06-22-2012, 04:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good for you!
Old 06-22-2012, 05:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

Originally Posted by rebeccawine79 View Post
Thanks for your post, my kids are going away on sunday and i am scared s***less that instead of using time to sort the house out, deal with feelings etc etc i am just going to be so bored/free/lonely I will just get drunk the entire time. if you have any tips I would be very grateful. Thanks:l
At 3:30 today I was home alone and didn't know what to do. I didn't want to drink, but I knew if I stayed here alone I would just sit on the couch and think lousy thoughts. I ended up going to a 5 pm AA meeting and stayed after to talk awhile. There was a fire meeting later, but I didn't feel like socializing.

I am about to take my dog to the dog park. I don't like being here alone- I used to love it bc no one around to see anything I did- but I hate it now. It's going to be a long week.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

My 9 yr old son has been gone since Sunday away at summer camp and my husband works 2nd shift so i have been alone a lot this week. It has been awesome!! I have gone to meetings, hung out w/ friends, read a lot, went for coffee, watched movies, cleaned my house really good....and it stayed clean!

You will have a great week!

Blessings, Lily
Old 06-22-2012, 06:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

I think you'll be just fine. Just listen to what everyone is saying. Relax, have fun, and more importantly don't take yourself too seriously.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

aeo1313,

9 days without needing to be responsible for your kids is a dangerous time, but also a wonderful opportunity. If I were in your situation I would make a list of all the things I would like to accomplish during that time and really structure my days. I wouldn't want to sit around feeling sorry for myself because their on a cruise and I'm home alone working (you want to avoid any resentments). Do something for your kids, (paint their room, whatever) so that when they get home you have something special to share.

And give them the gift of a sober parent when they return, laying on the couch hungover when they get back would not be a good scene.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
sobriety date 5-2-12

Day 2 of no kids. Today I am working for a few hours and then my husband and I are going to dinner. Last year when the kids were gone we spent a lot of time drinking. Tonight we are going to walk to dinner (3 miles each way). Better usage of time than drinking.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I am so proud of you and so happy for you! Way to go!!