Notices

Day six - And first loss of friend

Old 06-22-2012, 03:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day six - And first loss of friend

For the first time in many years I have reached day six of sobriety. I'm feeling I have alot more energy, I get out of bed without problems and I can just sit in the garden and enjoy the colours, the sounds, everything. Just got a nasty cold now tho.. But that happens to everyone.

I did expect that some friendships would not survive it. Some of my former friends who would take drugs too talks about I'm just acting high and mighty, thinking I'm better than them and all that. But to me their opinions doesn't matter at all.

Yesterday I talked with a friend who is overweight - and doesn't wish to change it. We talked about this new program about people losing weight. One of them said that being overweight is like drugaddiction or being an alcoholic, only 10 times harder.. Which I think is totally ignorant to say. My friend agreed with her tho. She started nagging about it was the truth and that my days of being sober was nothing compared to a year of struggling with overweight, that people who thought otherwise was a coward and so on. In short, nasty things were said back and forward and I left.

I'm still a bit shocked. She used to be a very good friend and all of a sudden she turned into this. Now she walks around saying that I just spit on her efforts to lose weight. And not only is she lying, she has never done anything for it. She eats cake and candy all day, she talks about being proud of her weight, she refuses to exercise, etc.

Geesh.. Oh sorry about that rant. I'm just still pissed at her, haha.

Hope you will all have a good day and keep up the good work, may you have some lovely food today, etc!
Old 06-22-2012, 03:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
instant

Great you made 6 days. We know what that takes. Keep your eye on the prize!!
Old 06-22-2012, 04:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 6. You dont need friends like that anyway!
Old 06-22-2012, 05:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

6 days is magnificent! The only person I can compete with in life is me.

You can stay stopped for you! Just keep moving forward!!!
Old 06-22-2012, 06:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 6 And, yes, people like that, you don't need. [As for her comments about losing weight being 10 times harder... meh. Anything is hard if you don't want to do it or you don't try. There are people who have reasons, some medications make it hard to lose weight, some people have thyroid problems or other medical conditions that have the same effect. But for most people...]
Sorry if I seem intolerant, but I've been fat. And yes, it takes time to lose weight, and a certain amount of effort. But compared to this... I'd almost rather have to lose the weight again than go through the last fortnight a second time. [I say almost in case my higher power is reading this. As they say, be careful what you wish for... especially when you don't]
Old 06-22-2012, 06:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Congrats on your six days!!

This "friend" sounds somewhat ignorant to me, but perhaps she has a food addiction. Addiction is tough, no matter what the DOC is. But I'm not sure I would liken a food addiction to an alcohol addiction. I've known people who are food addicts and are obese, and I've known people who were anorexic and bulimic ... some have really been through hell and back ... but I don't think the effects of their addictions are as horrendous as the experience of alcoholism. They don't cause the same destruction to the brain, body, and psyche, and I don't believe I've ever seen a case of obesity or food addiction cause a person to lose marriages, other relationships or jobs, crash cars, get arrested and go to jail, harm other people, or other such mayhem.

That said ... I used to weigh over 200 pounds ... now I weigh 123 (I'm 5'2"). I would agree with your friend that it's tough to lose weight but like Emily said, I'd rather face a challenge like that than experience the hell of alcoholism again.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

Sounds to me that she feels guilty for not trying to cut HER addiction and is jealous that you are cuttings yours. You don't need friends that are Jealous. they will hold you back. great job on 6 days!!! Amazing!!
Old 06-22-2012, 07:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on your 6 days and on your choice to walk away from your friend. I suspect that she is threatened by you, since you are taking action and dealing with your problem and she is not. Move on and open your heart to new and wonderful people coming into your life.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well we all have our challenges for sure. I quit drinking 1-1/2 years ago from an almost 30 year 5th of vodka a day addiction. It was hard- I did it. It's been harder for me to control my food intake then quit drinking. Part of it is because moderation for me is harder than abstinence. Anyways, it's not a battle about who has to struggle more or which is harder. But yeah..positivity goes a lot farther than negativity and better to surround yourself with such.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Congrats on your 6 days - don't let anyone take away the satisfaction of that achievement!

The whole deal about losing weight sounds like a way to justify why she wasn't moving ahead and you were. As they say "misery loves company." It's about her feeling threatened and hurt, not about getting sober or you personally.

Keep going (one day at a time)!!