Notices

Moderate Withdrawal - Does Benzo prevent brain damage?

Old 06-21-2012, 07:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Moderate Withdrawal - Does Benzo prevent brain damage?

Hi all,
Firstly, I have just joined and its a credit to all the people dealing with their alcohol issues and sharing information. Support networks are so important.

I have a question which I haven't found yet, hopefully someone can give a knoweldgeable second opinion to my Dr. I have read lots of threads about symptoms/time etc, but haven't found this yet, apologies if its already been answered.

I'm 31 and have been a regularly drinker for 13 years (approx - 6-10std drinks per day - no drinking on 1-2 days per week) - only alcohol, never any other drug, never smoked.

Its my 5th day of withdrawal and going by all the "tests" etc available I am in the "mild-to-moderate" category - slight tremor, mild headache, mild fatigue, sort of brain "fog" etc - but no sweating/anxiety/vomiting/hallucinations etc.

After visiting my Dr today about how i'm going, he recommended I take Benzo medication with the symptoms i'm still getting after the 5th day. He said its "much safer" that way.

I honestly feel I can do without drug therapy, I can still work/drive/function OK at the moment, and it doesn't seem to be getting worse (3rd - 5th day identical). However, he said the symptoms I am feeling is because the brain is in severe shock and likely get worse as its still occuring, so I risk permanent brain damage by continuing to withdraw without Benzo medication (and recommended me go to a clinic).

Is this correct? From other threads, I thought Benzo was more designed to help people cope with worse withdrawal that I have, not to stop brain damage?

I guess I want to do this without assistance if possible (I have reactions to medication due to allergies etc, so I dont want further complications.....), but then I dont want to cause myself damage either as it does feel like my brain is "hurting" (hopefuly its "healing").

I guess I am really worried now since seeing my Dr.

Anyway, sorry for the long post and thanks so much for any advice. Best of luck to all and where you are at now, or its with getting your own health back on the right track.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome TassieGuy -

Since we can't offer any medical advice (and it wouldn't be in your interest if we did), I don't know what to tell you. Your doctor would be the only one with all the medical information necessary to make that decision, although I will say I think you have some good reasons for wanting to avoid the benzos.

Did you express your concerns to him?
Old 06-21-2012, 08:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Are you going to AA meetings TassieGuy ??

All the best.

Bob R
Old 06-21-2012, 09:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome

As Artsoul said we can't give you medical advice here Tassie Guy - it's against our rules.

Personally though I would seek a second opinion if I got advice I was unsure about or that felt wrong to me.

Why not see a second Dr for a real second opinion?

D
Old 06-21-2012, 09:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

OK guys, sorry I wasnt aware of the rules - wasn't so much a "right or wrong" question, more a confirmation that someone else had heard similar advice.......especially as there is so much conflicting info regarding Benzo.

Thanks for the welcome Artsoul. Yes I spoke to my Dr about my concerns and he was very much of the opinion "better to be safe than sorry". I am just very reluctant, especially after reading so many people making it through the initial period successfuly without it. Just seems wierd to me to solve one drugs problem with the use of another.....

No Bob, I didnt ever think I really had a problem (my extended family drink more than me...) until I made a snap decision to quit - and have learnt a whole lot about withdrawal very quickly. No AA - didn't think i'd need to, but will now consider it thanks.

Will take your advice Dee74, I guess I was not hoping for more $$ and ill be honest, was hard enough fronting up to one. I really appreciate the responses even though you aren't allowed to comment on medical side, thanks very much again.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm an Queenslander- if you're actually in Tassie, can you find a Dr who bulk bills?

D
Old 06-21-2012, 10:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm an Queenslander- if you're actually in Tassie, can you find a Dr who bulk bills?

D
Yeah, I am.

My Dr used to bulk bill 6mths ago....then changed it to $45 out of pocket each visit. Money is really tight at the moment (another reason for giving up drinking) I guess it might be good timing to find a BBiller if available.

Thanks D.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Tassieguy! I'm a Queenslandergal!
Old 06-21-2012, 10:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you're in Hobart this is a good place to start

Hobart Doctors - Bulk billing

(there's a Launceston page too)
D
Old 06-21-2012, 10:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoinThis View Post
Welcome to SR Tassieguy! I'm a Queenslandergal!
Thanks DoinThis....ha ha, appreciated.

Nice to know a few other Aussies are around - I could do with some nice Qld weather at the moment : )
Old 06-21-2012, 10:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
If you're in Hobart this is a good place to start

D
Yes, i'm in Hobart D (hence the weather comment above....)

Thats excellent, will give them a try. Thank you very much for your help.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

Can you call your doctor for a further explanation on your previous visit?