Notices

Looking back to where I was 11 days ago

Old 06-21-2012, 02:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Looking back to where I was 11 days ago

11 days ago I woke up hungover, hurting, angry, and so full of guilt for how horrible I was the weekend before with my family and with myself. For the first time EVER, I admitted to my husband that I needed help and I could not handle life on my own. That morning, I surrendered myself to God and realized that I could not keep living the way I was living.

11 days ago, I found SR and did some other research online. I called a doctor and made an appointment. I poured the rest of the booze down the sink. I bought some recovery books on my kindle. I did a lot of crying.

11 days ago, I appologized to my two little kids and made them a promise that I would learn how to be a better Mom.

Within a few days, after that last hangover faded, I started to feel better. During the past week and a half, I have handled a visit with my in-laws, a night out on the town, tantrums from the kids, a fight with my husband, and the news that he lost his job. Life is hard, like always, and there is always something coming up. BUT I have never felt so close to "emotionally stable" as I have ever felt before. The mood swings are already getting less and less. Alcohol made life SO MUCH HARDER. I honestly expected it to get worse without my "crutch". But I was wrong.

We CAN do this. I am very early in my sobriety but I have had enough of a glimpse of what life can be like without booze that I am committed to continuing down this path.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

You can do this!! Sounds like you've got nothing but good thoughts! Welcome!
Old 06-21-2012, 02:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

(((tara))) - congratulations on 11 days! Awesome post

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 06-21-2012, 02:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Congratulations, tara! Great post!
Old 06-21-2012, 02:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations Tara - and great post - thank you

D
Old 06-21-2012, 02:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

that's very inspirational. thanks.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I feel exactly the same as you. Thank you and congrats!
Old 12-07-2012, 01:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tara8888 View Post
11 days ago I woke up hungover, hurting, angry, and so full of guilt for how horrible I was the weekend before with my family and with myself. For the first time EVER, I admitted to my husband that I needed help and I could not handle life on my own. That morning, I surrendered myself to God and realized that I could not keep living the way I was living.

11 days ago, I found SR and did some other research online. I called a doctor and made an appointment. I poured the rest of the booze down the sink. I bought some recovery books on my kindle. I did a lot of crying.

11 days ago, I appologized to my two little kids and made them a promise that I would learn how to be a better Mom.

Within a few days, after that last hangover faded, I started to feel better. During the past week and a half, I have handled a visit with my in-laws, a night out on the town, tantrums from the kids, a fight with my husband, and the news that he lost his job. Life is hard, like always, and there is always something coming up. BUT I have never felt so close to "emotionally stable" as I have ever felt before. The mood swings are already getting less and less. Alcohol made life SO MUCH HARDER. I honestly expected it to get worse without my "crutch". But I was wrong.

We CAN do this. I am very early in my sobriety but I have had enough of a glimpse of what life can be like without booze that I am committed to continuing down this path.

Remember how you felt the day you posted these thoughts
Take care
Old 12-07-2012, 02:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
AAudrey

Originally Posted by tara8888 View Post

You don't have to do this alone.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi tara. It's crazy how the very thing we're using to calm ourselves down ends up turning on us. I was filled with anxiety and terrified of every day life when I decided to stop. Alcohol wasn't the fun, relaxing thing it used to be - it had become a necessity. Thank you for an inspiring post.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes, I agree. It is an inspiring post.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Tara - I see that this is an old thread. I apologize for the confusion - but maybe it'll help to read this again, as bloss intended.