Notices

buntzhouse update

Old 06-21-2012, 01:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

buntzhouse update

I just went 3 days drinking non alcoholic beer, the longest I've gone without the real thing for along time and it seemed pretty easy, so figured I'd get myself a real six pack tonight and go another 3 or more days next. I don't like to make it too complicated but as long as I know I'm drinking less and less, that's good enough for me.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Recovering

Originally Posted by buntzhouse View Post
I just went 3 days drinking non alcoholic beer, the longest I've gone without the real thing for along time and it seemed pretty easy, so figured I'd get myself a real six pack tonight and go another 3 or more days next. I don't like to make it too complicated but as long as I know I'm drinking less and less, that's good enough for me.
Hi Buntzhouse

If you found it easy why do think you're buying a six pack for tonight?

That's not meant to be critical, just something to think about.

God bless
Old 06-21-2012, 01:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Michael66 View Post
Hi Buntzhouse

If you found it easy why do think you're buying a six pack for tonight?

That's not meant to be critical, just something to think about.

God bless
Mainly because I don't want to be too hard on myself, was having some slight cravings tonight, if it wasn't for the n/a beer I wouldn't have been able to do it but the next 3 days or more should be even easier. I think tapering only works for lighter drinkers.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Also just had 2 beers from the sixpack, started feeling bloated and uncomfortable so went and put the other 4 in the cupboard and opened up a non-alcoholic Becks which doesn't make me bloated or feel uncomfortable, so it's looking good.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I remember doing things like this myself at one stage. The thing to remember buntzhouse is that if you were a 'normal' drinker, you wouldn't be having to do this. I guess you must have joined this forum as you were worried about your drinking?

Look after yourself and read some of the stories on here of how alcoholism progresses... xxx
Old 06-21-2012, 06:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

"Mainly because I don't want to be too hard on myself"

When you are ready to stay stopped, you'll know and then you'll actually do something about it before it progresses. 3 days is nothing compared to the total length of time you were drinking, maybe? Day 3 is often a turning point in itself as to whether or not you are willing to continue to work hard for your sobriety. As long as alcohol is your solution, you'll drink.

I wish you well!
Old 06-21-2012, 11:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Buntzhouse, if you can moderate rather than stop outright, then that's great If you find out that you can't... we're here for you.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

My real recovery started 3 weeks ago when I realized I couldn't moderate. When I realized that I could not even have a sip of alcohol without the full expectation that I would go back to drinking again.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I hope you're able to find something that works for you. It's actually pretty nice that the real deal was unappealing to you! Maybe try some other nonalcoholic drinks? Ibgave up sodas when i quit drinking and now i can't drink them much anymore (i feel like a balloon). Sparkling water, naturally carbonated drinks, stuff like that is so appealing now that my tongue isn't numbed by booze. Good luck and keep trying!
Old 06-21-2012, 05:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

One of the reasons I can't drink anymore is I get bloated with stomach pains, I threw up last night because I was so bloated and only had 2 real beers and 2 n/a beers so might have to start looking into some teas or something.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

It might be a good thing to get a dr to check out your stomach pains.

I hope you feel better.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

Maybe you have celiac? I started putting things together that I had it after drinking beer made me feel awful. I know it could be tons of things, but just a thought. I stopped drinking beer the day I found out I had it because it was damaging my body. Took a couple more months, however, to kick the liquor.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Whatever the cause - and the best anyone here can guess - it seems to be related to alcohol.

I hope you'll see your Dr buntzhouse

D
Old 06-21-2012, 08:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I would if I had a doctor, I think it has to do with eating more raw foods than I used to, my stomach lining is more sensative now, it's not all clogged up with gluten and acidic foods, it only happens after I drink. I'm drinking a kale, banana chocolate smoothie now and I feel good to go also picked up some night time, decaf tea for later.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I made it all the way from Sunday until Thursday without drinking my usual amount, I started to feel the cravings kick in and went and got 2 bottles of Vermouth, didn't give me any stomach problems. I'm gonna drink tonight and tomorrow and then start over again on Sunday and see if I can make it all the way till Friday. Once I get back to drinking on just Fri. and Sat. then I can work on cutting that down.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hey Bunzthouse, I too had stomach problems when I drank. Thought I had all sorts of things -- a hernia, an ulcer, a hiatal hernia, esophagitis, GERD, etc.

Now I'm 42 days sober and I don't have anything. Miraculous -- except it's not. It's just common sense. Alcohol will inflame your insides and lead to some serious health problems eventually. Quit the alcohol, and quite often those "stomach problems" (and the worry that comes with them) go away.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:27 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

I had horrendous stomach problems. I still have problems, but alcohol exasperated it tenfold. It is extremely caustic to the intestinal tract. I'd being willing to bet that by Sunday after two bottles of Vermouth under your belt, you'r not going to feel so hot. Think about your logic here. You've gone from beer to NA beer back to beer and now Vermouth. And will attempt to control it again starting Sunday. Sounds like insanity...sorry to say it, but I've lived it and recognize it when I see it.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:43 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LosingmyMisery View Post
Sounds like insanity...sorry to say it, but I've lived it and recognize it when I see it.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:50 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I honestly think that some people on here are just crazy. If cutting down works for you, and you feel good about it, then keep going. Don't pressure yourself so much. When you want to have your "last drop" you will. I drank pretty much all day every day for 6 yrs and was sober 90 days then had a couple of slip ups and will still celebrate my 4 mos. on the 26th, HECK... I'm doing a heck of a lot better than I was, and I'm going to keep trudging forward. So be proud of your 3 days of non-alcoholic beer and keep trudging forward and make the journey your own.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:08 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

You're right. I personally was crazy for over 25 years. Crazy drunk that is. I can not applaud anyone who says they are trying to quit, or cut back, and with in a few days is drinking again. I don't view that as better. I view it as still drinking. It will not earn a round of applause from me, but I can and will support and encourage them to keep trying, though. In all fairness, perhaps other individuals drinking hasn't reached the heights my had so perhaps they can't relate. I also was a part-time drinker until I progressed to a daily drinker 24/7. Crazy or just wiser through experience? I definitely know I can speak from my experience and I'd hate to have anyone suffer the way I did through years of progression. For myself, in the beginning, making the journey my own nearly put me in the grave. Some of us don't make it. That is a fact. This is serious and being called "crazy" for recognizing it for what it is...is crazy in itself.