Rates of Recovery

Old 06-20-2012, 01:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rates of Recovery

Does anyone know of any rates of recovery for addicts/alcoholics?

I googled it and I found some information that as many as half (50%) could be recovered long term as well as statistics as low as 3% who recover long term. I wouldn't think it would be 50%, that seems just impossible because of the nature of the disease.

I guess I am just at the point of leaving and trying to sort out all the information in my head and just reconciling the fact that my stbxabf is likely to never recover from this disease. He doesn't even admit a problem and so if recovery were to be in the future for him, I believe it's far, far off.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Repeat after me...

..."it doesn't matter, it doesn't matter, it doesn't matter..."

It is completely irrelevant to recovery. some programs work for some people some of the time-- it's more about the person than the program, and 72.467 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot. All recovery programs and methodologies succeed, and all of them fail too because people are in them. Again, it's all about the participant and their ability to accept they are unable to control their drinking, their desire to find recovery, and the resolve of their character. I don't care if it's AVRT, AA, or something else. It doesn't matter at all.

This entire line of thought is a distractor, and it helps nobody-- not you, not your alcoholic, and nobody else either.

I'll close with this, "there are lies, there are damn lies, and there are statistics."

My two cents.

Cyranoak

Originally Posted by chronsweet View Post
Does anyone know of any rates of recovery for addicts/alcoholics?

I googled it and I found some information that as many as half (50%) could be recovered long term as well as statistics as low as 3% who recover long term. I wouldn't think it would be 50%, that seems just impossible because of the nature of the disease.

I guess I am just at the point of leaving and trying to sort out all the information in my head and just reconciling the fact that my stbxabf is likely to never recover from this disease. He doesn't even admit a problem and so if recovery were to be in the future for him, I believe it's far, far off.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good points, both.

Yes, it doesn't matter. I'll just leave it at that.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

It depends on what you mean by "recover"? After 5 years of sobriety that chance of relapse drops way down. The first year is usually the hardest because the alcoholic/addict has to deal with their immediate consequences. Which are, in most cases, severe.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

IMHO there are far too many external factors involved - amount of time drinking, age at first drink, upbringing and home life, personal tragedies, etc. - to really have a benchmark "rate" of recovery. I have several uncles who have been in recovery for years, including one who went to court-ordered AA before he was even 21. None of them went to inpatient rehab facilities btw. Their "recovery tools" consisted primarily of jailtime, AA and, later on into sobriety, support from family.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I found the following interesting.

"Relapse & Recovery: Behavioral Strategies for Change," a research report by the Caron Foundation, one of the nation's oldest and largest addiction treatment centers. http://www.caron.org/media_center/fi...ndRecovery.pdf

Relapse rates for addictive diseases range from 50 percent for resumption of heavy use to 90 percent for a brief lapse.
The potential for relapse is part of chronic disease. As is the case with chemical addiction, patients with diseases such as diabetes, asthma and hypertension frequently fail to comply with their treatments. Just as people with chronic diseases must adjust their lifestyles and assume responsibility for managing their own care, so do those with addictions to drugs and alcohol.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

very very low.....why? Well cause AA and other groups are not equipped to handle mental illness (which is what addiction is), this is why only 5% go on to never drink again.
Rehabs can handle the mental issues since they have Mental health care workers on staff.
Many addicts have underlying personality disorder, and all personality disorders are not treatable, hence the low rate of recovery.

Sad but true