Notices

Hello - Another Newbie Introduction

Old 06-19-2012, 08:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello - Another Newbie Introduction

Hello all, I'd like to introduce myself,

I guess I should start with how I got here...

I've been a heavy drinker for about 10 years. What started off with a few beers nightly has finally ended up with a pint of vodka a night. About a month ago I felt a pain in the upper right quadrant. I went to see my Dr. last Friday and she told me to stop drinking immediately. I took blood tests this morning and have a ultrasound scheduled for Thursday morning. Man I'm really scared. I have always thought cirrosis was characterized by yellow skin and eyes etc. I've now scoured the net to find out it's the silent killer. Needless to say I'm sure I have a fatty liver, hopefully that's it. I'll update when I find out. Oh and no other symptoms than the pain in the side.

I'm on my fifth day of not drinking and my withdrawls so far have been pretty mild. I'm more tired than usual, but have been exercising. I'm suffering from a huge bout of anxiety particularly in relation to my liver tests. My stomach the last couple days has become sour bloated and gassy... anyone experience this? Were you able to take anything for it? Any idea how long it lasts??
Old 06-19-2012, 09:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome checkrink!

I started fearing for my health at the end of my drinking, too. I started to develop a tremor in my hands and had soreness in my upper right quadrant, too. Fortunately, the body has an amazing capacity to heal. Within a very short time my symptoms resolved themselves and blood tests, etc., are normal.

I didn't have any stomach issues, but everyone's different and I've heard others talk about them. It's probably good to have some fear about these things, at least enough to stop destroying ourselves, but it's also good to know that a lot healing can and will take place.

Good to have you with us!
Old 06-19-2012, 09:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Same here, checkrink -- pain in right upper quadrant, and definitely a very messed up digestive system, which is starting to resolve now after 10 days alcohol-free. I've been through this before with similar symptoms and timing. Glad you have a doctor.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome checkrink

I really hope you'll get the all clear - or at least less than your fear to deal with

I get a lot of stomach issues from simple anxiety so it maybe possible this is a factor for you too? Ask yr Doc

D
Old 06-19-2012, 10:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am also a new member, but welcome! I have experienced pain where I believe my liver and pancreas to be. Upper right quadrant and mid left-upper stomach. These are definitely signs that something isn't right. My stomach is also kind of bloated. Its really weird, I am in good shape, not overweight at all, but have a bloated stomach. Not cool.

Anyways, I'm glad your on the healing and recovery bandwagon. Its the right place to be!
Old 06-19-2012, 10:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to you too Leo - I hope you'll consider getting checked out too

D
Old 06-19-2012, 10:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

Hi check,
I ended up in the ER one night after a week long vodka binge with the same pain you described. After blood test and ultrasound, the Dr. determined it was alcohol-induced hepatitis, which is a temporary inflamed liver. Stopping the drinking was the quickest remedy. Whether you have the same condition or not, I'm sure that cutting out the booze will benefit your health a lot.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
welcome to you too Leo - I hope you'll consider getting checked out too

D
Thanks Dee
Old 06-20-2012, 01:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

i get stomach pains regulary and irritable bowel and in the past i always put it down to just needing the toilet or if i had a few trumps id be fine haha. but last week i had excruciating pain which sent into a right state of panic so i got sent to hospital and after a few tests and ultrasound all was fine just had little inflamation on the lining of my stomach and was given something callled lanzoprone(something like that cant remember exactly what its called)
Old 06-20-2012, 10:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for all your kind and helpfull responses. I'll fill in as I go.

...on day 6, yeah!