Notices

Is a support group necessary?

Old 06-19-2012, 07:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I've been sober since May 5th. My question is: is a support group really necessary for my recovery?
Old 06-19-2012, 07:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I did it for 22 years, BUT when the nuclear bomb fell on my house, I had no support and I drank.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think support is necessary - it certainly was for me - I found my support here at SR

I did not use any recovery methods/groups though - so if that's what you mean, the answer from me is no...

but others have found them extraordinarily helpful, and I do think it's a less cumbersome and probably less slippery way to the top of the mountain than being a stubborn ol' lone wolf

D
Old 06-19-2012, 07:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

since you are asking about your recovery, you may want to look in the mirror and ask the person in the mirror the question.

i personally need the help of people that have been down the same road, thought like i thought, had the knowledge of what didnt work, and the knowledge of what did work to stay sober.

glad to see ya thinking about it though!!
Old 06-19-2012, 07:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I don't know that face-to-face support is necessary, but it can be really helpful. Some of us have gotten through without face-to-face support, but some kind of support is definitely necessary. SR was, and continues to be, a huge source of support for me. I am here daily, reading and posting and trying to help others who are going through many of the same things I did.

Welcome to SR! You will find a lot of support here. Please come back and read a lot and post often. It will help.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If I'm going to do something that's going to save and change my life....And you told me there are people that have done that...And you can find them all over the world...That are there and willing to help me....You can bet I'm going to use that...And if I run into any that need help...I'm there for them. So for my recovery...Yeah...It's necessary...And appreciated.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Christopher. I have about 15 months sober with no official type support group. SR is very, very helpful to me along with some other online sites though In the past 2 months I have also sought professional help to help me deal with some old/weird stuff. My best friend is (although a drinker) a very important support person too. He has known me through every horrible alcoholic act. Good Work on getting sober.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Probably not absolutely necessary, but it turns a nearly impossible job into something that can be done. Why work alone when you can have a team. My support group is the wonderful people on SR. There is a May thread for those that started their journey in May. You would be welcomed with open arms. Here is the link.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...12-pt-5-a.html
Old 06-19-2012, 08:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I find that I benefit from support in my life whenever I am undertaking something important.

SR is my main "support group" in recovery and I really like being able to learn and share here.

Here is a reading that I love and that I believe sums up my feelings on this issue.

We need one another when we
mourn and would be comforted.
are in trouble and afraid.
We need one another when we are
in despair, in temptations, and need
to be recalled to our best selves
again.
would accomplish some great
purpose, and cannot do it alone.
We need one another in the hour of success,
when we look for someone
to share our triumphs.
We need one another in the hour
of defeat, when with encouragement
we might endure, and stand again.
come to die and would have gentle
hands prepare us for the journey.
All our lives we are in need and
others are in need of us.
--George E. Odell
Old 06-19-2012, 08:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

For alcoholsim I think it is. For years I was different. I drank and thought about alcohol differently than other people. Nobody I hung around with could relate to buying 3 rounds of shots within 30 minutes, or ordering two drinks at a time, or leaving at midnight to buy booze on Saturday night just in case I needed it on Sunday, or buying 3 beers after the 3ed quarter of a football game because they shut the vendors down in the 4th quarter...

You guys get all of that. SR can be that support group if you'd like. Works great for me...

Best of luck!
Old 06-19-2012, 09:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I have only managed to quit once and don't know because I am not going to relapse to try it out. I couldn't get one morning without scotch in my coffee to stop the skakes if I could keep it down and not upchuck until it started to relax me.

So I got my break with a 7 day in hospital medically supervised and medicated detox. I let my two grown boys and my best friends and other family know I had a problem and got their support before I even started. Then counseling, group and one on one. My docs both VA and my GP were working with me as well. About two weeks after detox I joined here and then AA both of which helped immensely. Since about my third month I have pretty much just used here. Locally my getting sober almost two years ago is so old history that it isn't even a part of how I am viewed anymore. Or how I view myself.

None of that might be considered necessary for another, but I needed all of the help I could get to move forward fast, and sure.

Before I quit for my first and only time, I "preferred" not to let anybody who could help know I needed any help. So I kept drinking until I asked and was willing to do whatever it took rather than to continue to keep committing slow suicide, because I am not suicidal.

Other than that, I did it all myself.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

If you have the tools to stay sober then no it's not necessary but it does not hurt to have it if you need it.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

What's wrong with support? If folks could just stop drinking then they maybe don't have the ism I have.

There are many -- perhaps the majority? -- of folks who can just stop and stay stopped. I think that's where programs like Rational Recovery come along. For many it's a perfect fit and provides tools to win over alcoholism.

Yes, people get sober on their own every day all over the globe. Me, I opt for a program that has face-to-face support meetings in the morning in the evening seven days a week, even on the internet, a program that people simply reach out with advice and understanding, and I can go get that and give that everyday, well...I think it's great.

I have yet to crawl into a room of AA or NA and not felt at least a tad better than before I walked in. It's worked 614 days so far.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:27 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yes I needed support and still do. Why do you ask?

caiHong
Old 06-20-2012, 04:11 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome...

Glad you have started on a sober future...that sure made a huge
positive difference in my life....

By support groups...not sure what exactly you mean.
Many of our members found and keep their sobriety moving forward
useing a variety of ideas/methods/concepts and structured programs.

I hope you stay here with us and let us support you as you
discover how best to live sober.

Me? I'm a recovered AA alcoholic... and came on line to
share and learn in '92.
My current AA recovery time is 4-25-89

i have absolutely no plans to leave either of these valuable assets .

Wishing you all the joy of recovery...
Old 06-20-2012, 04:48 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Yeah, I would say a support group is a necessary requirement if a person is wanting to have every chance at being successful in their recovery. Dosen't make sense to make it any harder then it has to be already.

The early beginings especially. As time goes by, and life gets changed, gets better, the initial requirments being satisfied, the support can take on new meanings and experiences. Many good friendships are born out of support groups. And its always great to give back too.

Support groups come in many ways, some highly organised, some not so much, some f2f, some not. What ever works is always the best personal choice for any of us.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:56 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Recovering

Hi Christopher

I'm new (60 days) to this. I find support very useful, but I'm not attending any organised group. My key support (apart from prayer) is from my family and I've found this site really useful as well. Being Catholic I also have access to private and confidential confession which I think can be good for Step 5 of the 12 steps. I enjoy reading as well, so I find support in appropriate books.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:56 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

I use SR. I have no support group IRL.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:04 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I think it all just depends on the individual. I think it depends how far you are into the depths of alcoholism, whether you're someone who generally likes to do things alone or with others, and how much support you have around you anyway. I haven't been to a meeting or been in touch with anyone medically about my problem, but those close to me know what I'm doing and support me wonderfully. I think that makes a huge difference, but I think it can also be draining on those around you, and depending how well those around you cope with being your support is also important in whether you need support groups or not. I recently considered going to meetings, but after reading the text of AA I decided it wasn't for me. That's just me, though. Everyone is different. If you feel as though being sober is something you can't do by yourself, then you should definitely try a support group. Otherwise, I don't think there is anything wrong with going it alone. Also, SR is a great place to find support and solace... I believe it to a support group all in itself.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:28 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I needed to learn and see and understand that other people were JUST LIKE ME (I'm not unique!) and more importantly, that sobriety opened the door to their unmanageable lives becoming wonderful. I had no idea! I thought that sobriety was going to be sad and wistful and lacking. Nope, sobriety ROCKS. Booze is so optional in my book, for people who can handle it. No booze for me, not a big deal.

I use books, my monthly thread here on SR, and lots and lots of SR. My medical doctor is a huge part of my recovery because she is helping me with my anxiety/depression issues.

ALSO, my running group....having the accountability of a group of women who are working and struggling and trying and supporting each other to achieve big goals.