Notices

Feeling pretty good...

Old 06-19-2012, 06:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Feeling pretty good...

Well I was not thrilled about coming off of opiates after 4 years of addiction. But now I am starting to feel like my old happy self before I began using. I'm so lucky to have the support of a few close family members, & a great boyfriend who has toughed this addiction ordeal out with me thus far. I've been clean now fresh out of detox for almost 2 weeks, granted I still have cravings & bouts of uncertainty. It has been the all time hardest thing I've done but I am so proud of myself for staying strong & sober. At times it sucks, I feel like crap on some days but I smile & laugh now like I haven't in years. It is really worth it. I went basically cold turkey in detox besides anti nausea & ambien. I never thought I could be happy or otw to bigger & better sober, but I proved myself wrong as well as many others. It seems things get a little better everyday for me. Although cravings really frustrate me, I limit my contacts in fear of a relapse so I welcome any words of encouragement or advice on dealing with cravings. Also how long before withdrawals are totally gone? Sometimes I feel fine & then boom.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! You'll find lots of support here.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome CutMeOff!

Great job on getting clean/sober!! Cravings are no fun, but it really does get easier over time. There's a lot of ways to deal with them, like distracting yourself, recalling the misery etc.... I spent a lot of time here and that was really helpful. I also used something called "mindfulness" (google it if you're interested). We can't stop the thoughts, but we don't have to act on them and the good thing is that they really do go away.....

I hope you check out our forum for substance abuse, too:
Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 06-19-2012, 07:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR CutMeOff

congratulations on your progress - you may also like top check out our substance abuse forum as well

Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

D