Notices

Hi everyone!

Old 06-18-2012, 11:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi everyone!

Hi all,

I'm new here but have been a reader for quite sometime. Let me introduce myself a little, my name is Dan and I'm 24, I have been a long time abuser of alcohol and opiates. Although it's making excuses somewhat, I put down my abuse of medications and alcohol to long term depression and anxiety.

I understand that my illnesses are probably being made worse, and I have managed to stop abusing medications for quite some a long time. And, although at these times I hadn't noticed much improvement in my health, the effects are probably somewhat subtle and I have found it's the people around me who are the best judges of how I feel. You don't always know when you feel good with depression - that's probably something which you'll all know what I mean.

Medication I currently take based on legal and genuine prescriptions;
Citalopram 40mg
Pregabalin 500mg
Quetiapine 150mg (add-on treatment for depression and sleep)

I have had all my proper medications reviewed by a psychiatrist and she's happy everything is okay.

I have used, or abused the following drugs;
Oramorph (drinking from the bottle)
Codeine Phosphate,
Nurofen Plus (which in the UK is available over the counter as a strong painkiller, 12.8mg of codeine over 200mg of Ibuprofen),
Dihydrocodeine,
...and probably some others...

I have decided to stop abusing all of these drugs, it's too dangerous on my health to keep popping all of these pills - it's beneficial to me to stop, and I have decided now's a good a time as any.

I look forward to providing some support to others and hopefully I can receive some support too.

Thanks for reading everyone

Dan
Old 06-18-2012, 11:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think that's great! Welcome to SR and so glad to have you here.

I love your screen name
Old 06-19-2012, 02:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations on deciding to stay away from those things and welcome to SR. I suffer with depression and anxiety too, and although it has not gone away completely, being sober has given me the opportunity to address these things properly without the cloud of alcohol. Good luck!
Old 06-19-2012, 03:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, and congrats on staying away from the pills.
Sometimes, or so I'm told, it can be helpful for others to say when things are bad. Not sure quite why. Maybe it's the "you're not alone" factor. By saying we struggle, we help others who are in the same situation to express themselves.
And, after all, it's so much easier to take advice from other people than from ourselves, don't you find? We know what to do, but it's us talking... and we're idiots. Well, I know I am...
Old 06-19-2012, 08:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

Welcome! and congrats on making that decision! Lots of support here
Old 06-19-2012, 11:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone! What lovely messages and I already have a great sense this is the best place to be! I thought my screen name was appropriate lol and it's something I'm trying to drill into my head at the hard times.

My brain seems like proper fuzz at the moment, probably because withdrawal symptoms are peaking, and I have been feeling increasingly sick all day. It's rather horrible, and I feel at the moment that if anything is going to make me slip up it's the psychical withdrawal! I'm hoping the emotional side of things will be easier to handle, and I am drilling it into myself that the longer I stay clean I will start to feel better, I have to right?

You've all left such encouraging and moving comments, I'm still finding my way around here, but I hope to give as much support as I receive, because in reality we're all in this together. My father is an alcoholic, he stopped on the 3rd of February 1997, and hasn't touched alcohol since. During his 'prime' times he was drinking 15pints of rough cider per day, yet still held down a reasonable job. I say he 'is' an alcoholic because he's taught me, you never stop being an alcoholic, he says staying clean was half the battle in his case - but it does get better.

Thanks again everyone! Oh and to MalkavianEmily, I'm sure you aren't that bad! Me on the other hand.... lol

Dan
Old 06-19-2012, 02:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Dan

D
Old 06-19-2012, 02:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Now you're part of the family, Dan! You'll find this place full of hope, help, and encouragement. We're so glad you found us.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Glad you found us, Dan.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!

Glad you are here!
Old 06-19-2012, 06:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Dan!

Hang in there - I'm sure it's not easy right now, but better days are coming.:ghug3 The first few days after I stopped drinking, I was glued to this forum..... I just kept holding on to everyone's positive stories of sobriety and it got me though.

Keep those positive thoughts coming!
Old 06-19-2012, 06:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 06-20-2012, 03:25 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone! What a great bunch of people you all are

I've not done too bad so far (or at least I don't think I have lol) but I haven't touched alcohol or anything else. The worst thing seems to be the boredom, I feel somewhat like I've lost a 'friend', or lost something I could always 'relate' to. Not too sure how to make time pass, I enjoy writing music, playing guitar and I've even recorded some of my own material - all of that seemed to be easier when I was high. It's really strange, if anything I would have thought I'd find it easier now with a clear head.

I may switch on a DVD or something, even though I'm bored I'm glad I don't have any other commitments at this particular point in time, because as crazy as it seems I'm happier focusing on nothing other than not driving to the supermarket, buying some whiskey, coming home and closing my door and putting myself in a state again!

Thanks everyone, I'm sure I can make it, glad I have you lot - I get the sense even now in early days as I stay clean this is the best place to be

Dan