I did it, went to my first Al Anon meeting

Old 06-18-2012, 08:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I did it, went to my first Al Anon meeting

Well, I went. It was a small group of only 4 people. I sat down and promptly cried the entire hour. I don't even know what started the crying, I guess just the fact that I went. I am exhausted, mentally & physically, but I plan to go to another meeting tomorrow.

My session with the therapist was a bust, kept looking over his shoulder at the clock.

I don't understand much from the Al Anon meeting, I guess I don't understand how they mentally got to the place they are, but I hope to learn.

I am going to bed. Today was a very emotional day in multiple ways that I will process tonight & post on tomorrow.

Thank you all for the support, it means so very much
Old 06-18-2012, 08:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Bravo for taking a big step. You'll figure out Al-anon, that's why they suggest six meetings before making decisions. Can you ask someone to be your sponsor?
Old 06-18-2012, 10:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You have more courage than I. Good for you!
Old 06-19-2012, 06:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

YEAH for you ~

so glad you went to the first meeting - please keep giving it a try - if they have a couple of different meetings in your area - try them too - see which one "fits" you ~

were you given a "newcomers" packette? this usually has some info that helps explain the meetings & program too

Don't give up before the miracles happen in YOU - you deserve them!

PINK HUGS,
Rita
Old 06-19-2012, 07:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Survivor

I'm happy for you. I'm going to my 7th meeting in a little while. I sobbed at a couple of them too. I think I cried because it is a safe place to share and heal. No one judges me and there is always someone who can relate. After going through do many years of sharing with the wrong people...sharing with the right people is the most amazing experience I

Al-Anon has become the family I never had.

Hope you keep going. Rest well and nurture yourself.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

WAY TO GO!!!

I sat down and promptly cried the entire hour.
This made me laugh (thank you). Not laughing at you, it just reminded me of me. I did the same thing. For two entire weeks. LOL
Old 06-19-2012, 07:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi. Get a counselor who seems to be present. You are baring your soul so you need more than someone looking at the clock. How rude! I've surprised myself by opening up and crying at meetings too. Afterwards, I felt refreshed!
Old 06-19-2012, 08:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you all! I did get a packet from Al-Anon and have been reading. The "Open Letter from a Alcoholic" hit home, I loved that letter.

I have checked out the schedule for more Al-Anon meetings, I plan to go to another tonight. I am so glad I took the chance to go to the meeting.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:47 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Learn2Live View Post
WAY TO GO!!!

This made me laugh (thank you). Not laughing at you, it just reminded me of me. I did the same thing. For two entire weeks. LOL
Yup. Me too. I still think I was the reason they added the second box of Kleenex.

I think what I wish someone had said to me back then was "Don't be in a hurry to understand." When I walked into my first Al-Anon meeting, I was all action-ready: Give me the tools, the ammo-belt, the freeze-dried foods, and I'm ready to head out into the alco-jungle as a one-woman Rambo, getting s**t done! The calm and serenity and absence of stress in the meeting both irritated me (I wanted to FIX things!) and made me cry from relief (because I had no calm in my life).

Keep coming back. It works if you work it and you're worth it.

And don't worry about the counselor being a bust. I went through three before I found someone I could work with.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

YAY for you !!! It takes courage, that first step. At my first meeting I brought a friend cause I didn't wanna walk into that room alone. It really helped. I've cried at meetings too and thats ok, am sure it is expected
Keep going back - they say you need at least 6 meeting to decide if its for you or not
Old 06-19-2012, 10:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I admire you for doing this...ive been with my husband, an alcoholic for 9 years. the days hes sober he is the man i fell in love with and the father i know he wants to be. drinking which is 9 days out of 10 its the opposite. i was thinking of trying al anon because i feel like ive exhausted every other option. maybe i am the one that needs some help... i am not religious at all..so im not sure if al anon is for me or not. are there any options that are not religion based? thanks for any help at all.