Notices

Kindling and terms!

Old 06-18-2012, 05:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Kindling and terms!

Hi Guys,
I am new here and trying to get some education. Can someone explain two terms for me:

Kindling:
What does kindling mean? Years ago, I used to drink a few times a week. Now I drink once a month and often go months without drinking. Does that mean, that each time I drink I am "detoxing" and "kindling"?

After I drink anymore, I get real jittery and my heart races a little bit. I am trying to determine if this is a normal hangover symptom, or if it's some type of withdrawal issue. I am not sure if this Kindling concept might explain it.

Binging:
When I hear people on here talk about binging, what does that mean? Is that like, not drinking for a few weeks, then drinking heavily one night?

Thanks guys!
Old 06-18-2012, 06:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Kindling

Kindling (sedative-hypnotic withdrawal) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Binging
Binge drinking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm not the author of either of these but wikipedia is a good place to start usually

D
Old 06-22-2012, 12:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee74! So I was a binge drinker, would drink 2 nights a week really heavily, does that mean I was kindling every time I was sobering up?

I guess I don't understand how these terms are applied. People talk about detox but it seems that term is used when people drink consecutive days in row, in which each detox leads to kindling.

I never drank consecutive days. I would just get slammed. Have a hangover, then do it several days after I was sober and feeling back to normal. So was I kindling every time I would drink and "detox"?

I am so confused. Sorry for annoying questions. Just trying to wrap my arms around all of this.
Old 06-22-2012, 12:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Nor do I 333. And yes, that was how I drank for a long time, only at 'events' and then drinking loads. Did that article on kindling worry me? A little. Why only a little? Because it's a bit late to worry now. Also it seems to explain a number of things. Like why my memory is so shot, and perhaps how I ended up on antidepressants that never worked.
Oh well... I've quit now. And I mean to stay sober. Would reading those articles have stopped me? Probably not. Such is life
Old 06-22-2012, 12:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

The first time I heard the term kindling I was already sober a few years,and my interest was never much in the scientific anyway

so...I'm afraid I'm not remotely qualified to answer your questions President333 - that's why I gave you the links to start off with

This link on kindling may be a little more accessible:
Alcohol Detox and The Kindling Effect | Health Reform

D
Old 06-22-2012, 05:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

Why do you need to label any of this? Does alcohol create a problem for you other than the damage it does to your body? If you are concerned about your health, maybe try not drinking for 6 months....